1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What is your ultimate truck?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2003, 03:18 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Why would your ultimate truck be?

Mine would be:
51 Mercury M-6 COE 110" wb 5 star
48 - 52 M-3 8 foot box
70's Dana 60 4:11.1 8 bolt hubs chromed hub
lincoln 317 mated to a late model 5 spd
4 link in the rear.
I beam upfront with discs
power steering
lowered 3"
chromed 17" dually wheels.
White with black scalops on the front

Old 04-01-2003, 04:34 PM
286merc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

54-57 F350 Holmes wrecker body, dually, 368 Lincoln. Later F500 5spd/OD, Dana 70.

The ultimate junkyard and back woods parts chaser.

Old 04-01-2003, 05:39 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts

My dream truck would have an outward appearance similar to what I have, except if would be flawless. No shaved door handles, sealed cowl vents or other trendy stuff. No mistakes, just automotive perfection.

I would be running a 400HP flatty designed by Carl. It would be dead reliable, run cool in a West Texas heatwave and get 20MPG. Carl would have to cool it up with some Offy stuff from yesteryear cause I know jack about flatties. It would of course be just a little faster than 'rages 351W and Niolon's 460.

Every creature comfort option you can imagine, well concealed of course.

Old 04-01-2003, 06:11 PM
286merc
Posting Guru

I would be running a 400HP flatty designed by Carl. It would be dead reliable, run cool in a West Texas heatwave and get 20MPG. Carl would have to cool it up with some Offy stuff from yesteryear cause I know jack about flatties. It would of course be just a little faster than 'rages 351w and Niolon's 460.

Thats pushing it well beyond my ability Dewayne. Will you settle for 275-300hp with a small blower?
Of course the "Flatfire" http://www.flatfire.com/ is pushing 800 hp but the work and money involved would buy you a whole barn full of throwaway 302's.

How about one 302 driving each wheel?

Old 04-01-2003, 06:13 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Heres a little more info on my truck:

51 Mercury M-6 COE 110" wb 5 Star Cab

Facts & Figures

Chassis
Frame.........................Stock
Modifications...............None
Rearend / Ratio...........Dana 60 / 4.11:1
Rear Suspension.........4 link
Rear Brakes................Drum
Front Suspension........Stock I beam with leafs
Front Brakes...............Disc
Master cylinder............Stardard Power
Steering box................Power
Front wheels, size........Dually, 17x7
Rear wheels, size.........Dually Duals, 17x7
Gas tank .....................Stock, 15 gal

Engine
Year and make.............'50s Lincoln
Displacement...............317 ci
Camshaft....................Reground stock
Heads.........................Stock
Valve covers...............Stock
Manifold / Induction....'60s Y-block 4 barrel
Carberator..................Elderbrock
Ignition / Wires............Stock
Headers......................Stock
Exhaust / Mufflers........Stainless Steel 2 1/2 -inch diameter

Transmission
Make and Model..........Ford 5spd Overdrive
Modifacations..............Stock
Shifter.........................Floor

Body
Body style / material....COE / Steel
Manufacturer...............Ford
Modifications..............none
Hood..........................Stock
Grill...........................Stock / Chromed
Bed............................48-52 M-3 8 Foot bed, Modified for bigger wheel wells
Paint color..................White and Black
Paint Design...............Black scalops on the front
Headlights / Tailights...Stock
Outside Mirrors...........Stock F-1
Bumpers....................Stock / Chromed

Interior
Dashboard.................Modified to accept stereo reciever
Gauges.....................Converted to 12v
Stereo / Speakers......Panasonic / Panasonic 6x9
Air conditioning..........Stock Magic Air modified to accept air conditioning
Wiring.......................Wire Works
Steering wheel...........Modifed to be smaller
Steering column.........Stock modified for power steering and turn signals
Seats........................Glide
Upholster...................Tea
Material / Color..........Tweed / Black
Carpet......................Tweed / Black

What makes this truck perfect is the short wheelbase. From the back of the cab to end of frame is 8' 1" which is perfect for the 8' box. The rear fenders have the same wheel opening as the front. The truck would be lowered 3' to acheive a nice but driveable stance. The rear axle hubs would be chromed to match the wheels. Like most 3/4 axles the hub extends several inches out.

Old 04-01-2003, 06:52 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend

Thats pushing it well beyond my ability Dewayne. Will you settle for 275-300hp with a small blower?
Of course the "Flatfire" http://www.flatfire.com/ is pushing 800 hp but the work and money involved would buy you a whole barn full of throwaway 302's.

How about one 302 driving each wheel?

Two 302s, oh man that makes my head hurt just imagining the grief.

OK, A blown flatty it is. I'd be lying if I said I was ever in a flatty that was hopped up much. Just for the sake of discussion, what kind of streetable horses/torque can you get out of a flatty. Here's the rules. Has to be reliable (meaning we don't have to lift the hood every time we get back from a short cruise). You got a $5000 budget BTW. I don't miss adjusting mechanical lifters, changing the fouled plugs and jacking with the carb every 200 miles.

Old 04-01-2003, 07:22 PM
himmelberg
Posting Guru

I like a truck that would haul my stuff in the west Texas heat... maybe stop better... maybe go better... maybe take trips to Pigeon Forge or Austin or East Corinth, Vermont. Then I could stop in Iowa and Ohio and Indiana. I could have a raspberry soda with Carl in NH... maybe Vern would stop by. I'd like my 3 deuces to run smooth, like some gauges that worked and a front end that didn't wander. But I don't need much more than that solid I beam that is my front axle. I'd like 15" mags and 20mpg. I'd like some green paint that wouldn't come off on my chamois. Maybe some ivory colored scallops... just tasteful, not too much. I'd like the woman that I love to be comfortable... stop those damn windows from rattling. I think a cd player would be nice... put your feet up and listen to Tom Waits, or Johnny Cash or ZZtop.... I'd like to leave this thing to one of my grandsons. I have three. Problem is that I love them all.... And my granddaughters... so many, so sweet. I've got pretty much all these things now... less some front end parts, brakes and the like. One thing this truck has given me... fulfilling dreams.... It's helped me reconnect with a 16 year old grandson and granddaugther... made me look cool in the eyes of a 7 year old... made some friends on the internet... and around town. Given me access to some of life's simple joys. I'll take what I can get. best. himmelberg

Old 04-01-2003, 07:34 PM
286merc
Posting Guru

Five Large would build a very nice flatty even if all you did was write the checks.
If you do all the grunt work, find an honest machinist and shop carefully you can put together a 300/300 for about 5K. If you can settle for no blower then knock off $2200 that a Roadrunner kit goes for.

I pulled 191 hp out of unblown 276 cubes on the dyno last summer and there is nothing that would cause it to be unreliable. The flatty technology has come a long way since non detergent 30W.
That is the engine that hopefully will be getting a blower but that project has slowed way down now that I have to actually earn a living. I may even sell it and invest the $$ into the business.
No more corporate 9-5 for me.

Building flatties (Y Blocks also) is a disease that becomes an obsession. I must be nuts, a SBC crate motor is $1300!

Old 04-01-2003, 08:15 PM
57_ford
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What is my ultimate truck? My ultimate truck is a NEW 57 f100 custom cab long style side with a 4bbl 312 5sp overdrive or an auto trans. 3.50 or 3.70 9" locking rear. More brakes. A nice radio. And a air conditioner just for the long hauls.

Old 04-01-2003, 08:28 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend

Good thread Nathan, I think it will get a lot of diverse posts. Nice goals Himmel. I noticed all your goals are very obtainable with a firm grip on what is in life that really counts.

I bet you won't see many magazine truck dreams from this cast of characters. Thats what I like about the place. Not a bunch of folks that can't be happy unless they mortgage the farm on a $50,000 Billetmobile they didn't build themselves.

This is my first project with a decent budget. But you know what? I had just as much fun building cars and trucks with a new wife and a $7 an hour job. For you young guys that maybe think you will have more fun with your ride when you are older and make a big wage. Forget about it, it doesn't get any more thrilling 20 years from now with a big budget. Just give it your best effort with what you can afford and be proud of it.

Carl, it may be an unfulfilled dream. but I really hope to do a flatty truck someday. I know you've done a ton of them and I envy you for that. From your posts, I think we also share the thrill of the Rat motor but don't tell anyone here cause I'll get in trouble.

My flatty dream will have to wait awhile as I'll be two more years getting my current project like I want it. I don't want to be here blowing smoke about how perfect my collection of Ford, Dodge aftermarket and GM parts worked out. I know I will be refining or re-engineering stuff for a long time before I mve on to the next "Ultimate Ride"

Old 04-01-2003, 08:54 PM
DS02F250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dream truck? That's easy:

'72 Chev
Blown 454
Posi 4.10:1 rear
4 wheel disc's (big brakes); bagged
A/C, PS/PW, full gauge panel
8-speaker sound system
Billet rims on 18's in back; 17's in front
Metallic Navy over medium grey paint scheme...

Not! ..... A P R I L F O O L S !!!!!!!!!!!!

Daryl

Old 04-01-2003, 10:29 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

'Fenders and Carl, you guys have tapped on an idea that has been rolling around in the vast empty expanse in the back of my mind for a couple weeks now. When I was toying with the idea of trying to modify and update that Lincoln motor that I found, I thought that it would be a neat trick to try and combine a vintage powerplant, modern EFI, and a blower. Since the Lincoln block is going to have to have serious open heart surgery to ever have a prayer of being viable again, I've considered doing the same thing with a flathead instead. I've got an entire extra EFI system, and at least a dozen unemployed flatheads lying around here. You can buy those stock Eaton superchargers for T-Bird SuperCoupe 3.8L V-6's all day long on Ebay for chump change. I would guess that they'd be sized about right for a little flathead. All I'd have to do is build a tough long block and a custom intake. Vintage flavour, modern reliability and fuel mileage, and satisfactory horsepower in one unique little package. Hmmm......

Old 04-02-2003, 12:54 AM
Keahi73
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dream truck would be my Panel running!! I'm getting impatient! A cherry truck would be nice, but I'm putting together what makes me happy. (Meaning what I can afford!)
What I have:
55 Panel (my fav vintage!)
351C 2V/C4
Caddy tilt/telescopic steering column
68 Mustang gas tank
Volare front end

What I want/need:
Looking for a conversion van back seat that turns into a bed
Better running gears!
Brakes plumbed
Fuel lines plumbed
wiring installed
Chopped 6"

I could care less if it is covered in primer and bondo and old paint for years. It will take me that long to finish the body work, tighten up the mechanicals and decide on a color.

For now, it's going to look like it just drove out of a barn after a few decades nap! (which it did)...BECAUSE I like it that way!

One day I'll have a show winner....A Merc Panel to go with my "wreck"!

Old 04-02-2003, 11:12 AM
286merc
Posting Guru

Rage, tell me more about those 3.8 blowers!

What years and are they only on TBirds?

Old 04-02-2003, 12:24 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, mine would be my old 48 F-3...finished, of course, but until we get some weather warm enough for me to do something on it, it just sits. Finished means ready for some serious cruizin' on a warm sunny day in the White Mountains of New Hampshire.

Pete,

I'd definitely come by and sip raspberry soda with you and Carl. You just name the time and place.