6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Wobble Cure? VIDEO

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 09:40 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Wobble Cure? VIDEO

Here's what I've done to fix my steering wobble:

‪Installing Rancho Steering Stabilizers & RS9000XL Shocks Ford Super Duty‬‏ - YouTube

Old 08-03-2011, 09:52 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice job Epic! Looks like you spent some serious time on the editing floor. Any reason you went with Ranchos?

Old 08-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Shepardsonp
Tuned
Nicely Done! How much were the parts?

Old 08-03-2011, 10:00 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Marauder92V
Nice job Epic! Looks like you spent some serious time on the editing floor. Any reason you went with Ranchos?
I've used them in the past and was really happy with them. Especially the 9000XL series because of it's adjust-ability features. Being an old rock crawler yourself, you understand. It just didn't make sense to me that the OEM Ranchos were performing so poorly but this proves it. There's a huge improvement obviously with the non-OEM versions.

I'm pretty sure there will be some upgrades available to the OEM ball joints in the next year or so. That, and a Bilstein on the drag link will reduce the wobble to just a bad memory.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:05 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Shepardsonp
Nicely Done! How much were the parts?
The shocks are about $100 each and you can get the stabilizers for $140ish. I'm halfway temped to try the Rancho MyRide system that controls the pressure from a wireless controller in the cab. Would be interesting.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:19 PM
Justin7372
New User
Great video! But now I have to get shocks after watching it.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:37 PM
Von-Overkill
Senior User
I had the Rancho 9000's on my Jeep (with the remote control) and loved the setup. When I was towing, a push of a button, and the shocks became real firm. I was very spoiled!
I guess the factory Ranchos have really been dumbed down for mass consumption.
Nice vid, Epic. Do you have part numbers?
It seems your front end has a leveling kit, so your front Rancho replacements would be longer than stock? And it looked like they came with polyurethane bushings?
Did you look into replacing the stabilizer end links with poly bushings? Anyone make 'em?
So about $600 for the whole thing? And probably a few hundred extra for the air compressor and remote?
I have a 2 gallon air tank, and I wonder if their new remote control could be adapted to use that, so I can use a better air compressor and not duplicate systems?

Old 08-03-2011, 11:05 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Another great video.
The video is the proof needed on the tire wobble and I realize I don't have it anywhere close to that bad but I haven't recorded it either nor have I lifted my truck.

Thanks for the 7-eleven tease.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:08 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Von-Overkill
I had the Rancho 9000's on my Jeep (with the remote control) and loved the setup. When I was towing, a push of a button, and the shocks became real firm. I was very spoiled!
I guess the factory Ranchos have really been dumbed down for mass consumption.
Nice vid, Epic. Do you have part numbers?
It seems your front end has a leveling kit, so your front Rancho replacements would be longer than stock? And it looked like they came with polyurethane bushings?
Did you look into replacing the stabilizer end links with poly bushings? Anyone make 'em?
So about $600 for the whole thing? And probably a few hundred extra for the air compressor and remote?
I have a 2 gallon air tank, and I wonder if their new remote control could be adapted to use that, so I can use a better air compressor and not duplicate systems?
Stabilizer - RS98510
Front - RS999043 (2 1/2 inches longer to accommodate the 2 inch level)
Rear - RS999254

The poly bushings are nice and I'd love to switch out all the OEM rubber. Don't know if it's available yet. I'm probably not going to spring for the remote unless there's a compelling ROI argument. But it would be cool... :-)

Old 08-04-2011, 10:31 AM
TxFordGuy1
Senior User
Nicely done! Great video!

Old 08-04-2011, 10:47 AM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
So here's the question...why isn't Ford dealing with this as a warranty or design issue?

Epic, did your wobble start at a mileage or was it there from day one?

I used a generic, HD, single stabilizer on my 05 and it corrected this as well, but steering effort was noticeably increased. Can you comment on that?

Thanks for the time you spent on this. Good stuff.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:40 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Biggziff
So here's the question...why isn't Ford dealing with this as a warranty or design issue?

Epic, did your wobble start at a mileage or was it there from day one?

I used a generic, HD, single stabilizer on my 05 and it corrected this as well, but steering effort was noticeably increased. Can you comment on that?

Thanks for the time you spent on this. Good stuff.
To your first question, I can't really fault Ford on this item. I'm the one who put on the lift and the bigger tires. That's a lot of extra weight to control when it gets thrown around in a pot hole. Philosophically, Ford engineers parts to certain tolerances and for the most part, this truck is over-engineered in just about every way. That certainly costs money and even a couple bucks on a certain part has to be justified as to whether the market will get value or will be willing to pay for it. The Ford is already the most expensive of the big three and a couple of dollars here and there and there can add up to a real competitive disadvantage. It has to be a tough balance.

I suspect that Ford will probably address the spec on those shocks now. It's clear they were engineered with little or no over-margin and that shows pretty clearly in slow motion. I'm pretty sure the wobble has always been there. It's really been all this talk on the forums that peaked my interest and made me do something about it.

And yes, there is more resistance in the steering wheel. Pretty much what you would expect from the stabilizers. I actually prefer it as I always thought the steering was over-assisted as it was. What I don't know is what effect this will have long term on the power steering pump.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:50 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
To your first question, I can't really fault Ford on this item. I'm the one who put on the lift and the bigger tires. That's a lot of extra weight to control when it gets thrown around in a pot hole. Philosophically, Ford engineers parts to certain tolerances and for the most part, this truck is over-engineered in just about every way. That certainly costs money and even a couple bucks on a certain part has to be justified as to whether the market will get value or will be willing to pay for it. The Ford is already the most expensive of the big three and a couple of dollars here and there and there can add up to a real competitive disadvantage. It has to be a tough balance.

I suspect that Ford will probably address the spec on those shocks now. It's clear they were engineered with little or no over-margin and that shows pretty clearly in slow motion. I'm pretty sure the wobble has always been there. It's really been all this talk on the forums that peaked my interest and made me do something about it.

And yes, there is more resistance in the steering wheel. Pretty much what you would expect from the stabilizers. I actually prefer it as I always thought the steering was over-assisted as it was. What I don't know is what effect this will have long term on the power steering pump.
I'm a bit surprised that Ford doesn't offer more elaborate options that would be of interest to the market. I'm sure they have researched and implemented some of this (ex. 5th wheel hitches), but it is not clear how much.

If they offered it, I certainly would be interested in a premium line that would include levelers, premium shocks, airbags, etc.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:57 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Somehow I missed that your truck was lifted. My bad.

I wondered about the PS pump on my 05, but in 4 years there were no issues.

I agree that the PS is overboosted in these trucks. A speed based dynamic boost system would make a big difference, but for now I'll add the heavier stabs.

Originally Posted by EpicCowlick

Old 08-04-2011, 01:03 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Great video and information.

Surprisingly, coming from my '05 to this truck, the steering seems much tighter and more responsive in the 2011. The front end of the '05 was fine and I never had the dreaded death wobble. The ball joints and all other components were in very good shape when I traded it.

Maybe it's just the newness of this truck. I guess time will tell.

Quick Reply: Wobble Cure? VIDEO