6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

What mods for better fuel economy on 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 10:42 AM
jimh425
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've made some minor mods to get me about 20 on the highway. Zoodad mod, intake elbow, Diesel Kleen fuel additive, synthetic Rotella, and a Walker big truck muffler.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:43 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JESTERxHEAD
. In diesel land it works...and works well... my brother has it and I will soon. he see's about 2mpg gain on the highway.... plus it keeps egt's in tact.
I know of one that has this mod on a 250 and never saw an improvement.

2. It still is a mod that increases fuel economy. the OP wasnt asking about price. I just listed the mod that works.........sorry.....
Then what is the point if you aren't calculating the cost/benefit ratio of it all? Unless you are independently wealthy beyond belief, cost/benefit efficiency should be a concern especially in a discussion about efficiency (in the form of MPG).

3. That could be argued netherless it doesnt hurt milage. I see about zero gain with my topper but then again it weighs 300lbs.....
I haven't seen any improvement and I have one on both the 350 and the 150, but I bought them to serve a purpose and mpg gains was not it.

To me, if someone is looking for MPG improvements, they are going to want something that will pay for itself quickly. The gains of MPG are how it does it. If it takes 15 yrs to pay off for the mod that put an extra .3 in gains, I'm sorry, it didn't work. I would have had at min. 3 different vehicles since then.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:55 AM
JESTERxHEAD
Senior User
Originally Posted by tex25025
I know of one that has this mod on a 250 and never saw an improvement.

Then what is the point if you aren't calculating the cost/benefit ratio of it all? Unless you are independently wealthy beyond belief, cost/benefit efficiency should be a concern especially in a discussion about efficiency (in the form of MPG).

I haven't seen any improvement and I have one on both the 350 and the 150, but I bought them to serve a purpose and mpg gains was not it.

To me, if someone is looking for MPG improvements, they are going to want something that will pay for itself quickly. The gains of MPG are how it does it. If it takes 15 yrs to pay off for the mod that put an extra .3 in gains, I'm sorry, it didn't work. I would have had at min. 3 different vehicles since then.

1.Well I personally SEE the improvement in MPG's with water/meth injection. Ya got to keep your foot out of it too...if the guy is driving the ball bag off of it...then no it wont gain an ounce....

2. I was just anwsering the darn question....IM SO SORRY! I know its expensive...but it IS a MOD that IMPROVES MPGS!!!! LMAO....

whatever.....I wasnt tryin' to start an arguement with ya. I was just listing things off the top of my head that increase mpg's with a diesel. Me bad............

Oh and 5w-40 synthetic oil helps too.....(I'm sure sombody on here will tell me different too hahahaha)

Old 08-01-2011, 04:37 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Don't get twisted Jester. We're just saying if there isn't a reasonable pay back period then you might as well just leave it stock and use the extra coin for fuel.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:28 PM
Sullid01
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ok don't shoot me for saying this...

Back when I used the Banks PDA and left it on power level 6 all of the time, I got about 2-3mpg better. I think the reason for this was that it would always upshift me as soon as I let off the gas pedal (should it be diesel pedal?). I could be in 4th gear and going 30mph. Overall it was not a good tuner and that's why it is gone, but it gave me the best mpgs of any.

I currently get 14-15mpg - I like the way the truck drives better and I am not as worried about frying the tranny. Anyway, just my 2 cents..

Old 08-01-2011, 09:24 PM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Same thing here,
Running a 160+hp. tune getting at least 1 mpg better than running a putt-putt tune. shifts great and the power's always there. However I noticed I can't run it in the winter, it loads up when cold.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:33 PM
JESTERxHEAD
Senior User
Originally Posted by 69cj
Don't get twisted Jester. We're just saying if there isn't a reasonable pay back period then you might as well just leave it stock and use the extra coin for fuel.
hahahaha naw....I agree....I wouldnt put it on my truck....Most of my mods go the other way on the mpg scale anyways hahahahaha

Old 08-02-2011, 01:56 AM
EODguyJake
Fulltime INFIDEL!
I haven't seen anyone mention FICM tuning yet. I had mine done by Power Hungry Performance a couple years ago. That was before you could have the programmer sent to you, and before there were HP ratings assigned to different levels of tuning. Back then there was "mild" and "extreme". I saw 2mpg with the mild on winter blend fuel, and it almost eliminated my turbo lag. I still say it was probably the best $125 I've spent on the truck.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:09 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by EODguyJake
I haven't seen anyone mention FICM tuning yet. I had mine done by Power Hungry Performance a couple years ago. That was before you could have the programmer sent to you, and before there were HP ratings assigned to different levels of tuning. Back then there was "mild" and "extreme". I saw 2mpg with the mild on winter blend fuel, and it almost eliminated my turbo lag. I still say it was probably the best $125 I've spent on the truck.
I'd whole heartedly agree with everything Jake says about his truck. Even with a powermax there's just NO turbo lag. It's a heavy truck on big meats and got 17-18 mpg. highway driving coming back from Winston Salem. It's all about tuning and how you manipulate the skinny pedal.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:23 AM
EODguyJake
Fulltime INFIDEL!
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
It's a heavy truck on big meats
Approximately 8400lbs with me and a full tank, and sits on 35s.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:41 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Approximately 8400lbs with me and a full tank, and sits on 35s.

Morning Glory. How's hell???? Hotter than a bitch wolf in a pepper patch here. 110 yesterday and only down to 86 this morning with no rain in sight. I know that's a walk in the park compared to where you are but the hottest July on record for Oklahoma and hotter today. When are the tunes coming??

Old 08-02-2011, 05:45 AM
EODguyJake
Fulltime INFIDEL!
It's hot (currently 108), dusty, smells like s#!t, and haji has been more than generous in sharing his rockets with us. And since there is no outside the wire dedicated security element where I'm supposed to go, I'm stuck at main base with no F-N job.

I sent money for tunes earlier today.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:17 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

It's hot (currently 108), dusty, smells like s#!t, and haji has been more than generous in sharing his rockets with us. And since there is no outside the wire dedicated security element where I'm supposed to go, I'm stuck at main base with no F-N job.

I sent money for tunes earlier today.

Just keep your head down, stay safe, and give haji some of his own medicine EOD style. Everyone here appreciates what you do for our country!!!

This big monster will be ready to ROCK AND ROLL when you get home.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:30 AM
maxumpower
New User
6.0 POS?

Well i don't know how much faith to put in the computer fuel mileage guesser but mine says at 62 MPH on flat road i get 23 to 24 MPG on 32 gallons of fuel i average 600 to 700 miles. Stock tires, inflated to 70 PSI, Banks High Ram, stock exhaust minus the CAT.
I ordered a Banks Cold Air and will install it this weekend.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:18 AM
NorcalSAM
New User
ok guys i am a new member here and bought the 04 f250 6.0. i read alot that bully or edge can get u 21-24. but here i am reading and gettting worried...i bought this truck for looks and use for my painting company.... i aint rich...and i know it aint no pruis but i would like to get the best product that is worth the money for fuel economy... i will never tow, just want good mpg. its lifted and on 35 i think. its getting delivered in couple days... whats the best products i could get... i know a tuner, exhaust, intake, basic same crap like on my other gassers. but whats the best thing i could start with to get the most gains, it will take me a good amount of time to mod this truck so looking for something to start with... thanks guys....

Quick Reply: What mods for better fuel economy on 6.0