Sponsored by: Moser

Problems with 2011 F150 transmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 06:58 PM
okrhino
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Problems with 2011 F150 transmission

I have a 2011 F150 Lariat Crew 4x4 Ecoboost with 1000 miles. I was driving and check engine light came on and transmission started slipping. Transmission fluid was leaking out. Currently at dealer and they can't start working on it until next week. I was wondering if any other people are having the same problems?

Old 07-30-2011, 08:18 AM
NStorm
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by okrhino
I have a 2011 F150 Lariat Crew 4x4 Ecoboost with 1000 miles. I was driving and check engine light came on and transmission started slipping. Transmission fluid was leaking out. Currently at dealer and they can't start working on it until next week. I was wondering if any other people are having the same problems?
So sorry to hear about your troubles okrhino, it's a helpless feeling when the issue is crippling like that.

I would guess either your transmission cooler/radiator somehow got punctured, or the tranny took a good slam and cracked...this could have happened before you took possession, and didn't manifest until you got it to full operating temp a few times and the metal expanded...voila, cracked egg. These are just guesses of course, either way the dealer will get you squared away! Too bad you have to wait a few days.

I on the other hand am getting very rough 1-2 shifts (sounded like the damned tranny fell out once last week), and halfway through the power curve in third it feels like the engine de-fuels...I'll have the dealer check for TSB's/flashs when I'm in for oil....3800 on the clock now.

Good luck, and keep us posted on the outcome!

Old 07-30-2011, 02:26 PM
NotMyHusbandsF150
Senior User
Wow, I can't imagine - how disappointing but I think the previous poster was spot on - most likely it was something happened before you received possession. I've heard some horror stories about unloading those new cars.

I hope they hook you up with something decent to drive in the mean time - I think that is always the worst part of waiting for any vehicle work. :-/

Old 07-30-2011, 05:23 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...x-3-weeks.html

Check out this thread bro. It seems that there's a bad batch of transmissions out there.

I hope th e dealer gets you up and running real soon. BTW, welcome to FTE. Be sure to keep us in the loop.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:41 PM
NotMyHusbandsF150
Senior User
I just want to say that earlier in the year, I said something about being leary of a new engine and a lot of people bit my head off - "The ecoboost has been around for years in the Taurus" and I said that the taurus doesn't require the same power (it is not meant to tow, etc) that a truck does - so I just don't like to be the first to try something (I still love the '97ish Ford pickups, though - back when the 7.3 was in existence lol).

I looked at the other post the mod posted and surely enough, you aren't the only one. The other gentleman talks of a nationwide backorder waiting for parts. I know it doesn't mean much but I'm sorry you are dealing with this. I love Ford and expect better quality that what you are going through. Often times, stuff like this is operator error (aka bad drivers) or just a lemon (which happens) but it is very disappointing to see it happening to many. Just not what I've come to love and respect about Ford.

But I still love Ford. I'm sure they'll have you fixed good as new soon enough. Hope they figure this out before next year

Old 07-30-2011, 07:16 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by NotMyHusbandsF150
I just want to say that earlier in the year, I said something about being leary of a new engine and a lot of people bit my head off - "The ecoboost has been around for years in the Taurus" and I said that the taurus doesn't require the same power (it is not meant to tow, etc) that a truck does - so I just don't like to be the first to try something (I still love the '97ish Ford pickups, though - back when the 7.3 was in existence lol).

I looked at the other post the mod posted and surely enough, you aren't the only one. The other gentleman talks of a nationwide backorder waiting for parts. I know it doesn't mean much but I'm sorry you are dealing with this. I love Ford and expect better quality that what you are going through. Often times, stuff like this is operator error (aka bad drivers) or just a lemon (which happens) but it is very disappointing to see it happening to many. Just not what I've come to love and respect about Ford.

But I still love Ford. I'm sure they'll have you fixed good as new soon enough. Hope they figure this out before next year
This has nothing to do with the EB engines. All of the new engines are using the same transmission. It's a transmission issue that is not engine specific. The EB seems to be getting all the attention as it's making up something like 36% of F-150 sales this year.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:04 PM
okrhino
New User
Thanks guys for all the help,I'll let you know how things go.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:28 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Originally Posted by NStorm
I on the other hand am getting very rough 1-2 shifts (sounded like the damned tranny fell out once last week), and halfway through the power curve in third it feels like the engine de-fuels...I'll have the dealer check for TSB's/flashs when I'm in for oil....3800 on the clock now.

Good luck, and keep us posted on the outcome!
Just a question/comment about the 3rd gear feeling you describe ...

my 2010 work truck (5.4) does the same thing, and near as i can tell it is the converter locking up. Seems like right after the 2-3 shift, the trans locks the converter and the truck just noses over.

i REALLY wish ford would reconsider their shift programing .... they have been doing this for years and it drives me nuts.

my '00 exploder likes to lock the converter too early also which results in the ocasional 1-2-3-3L-4L-4-4L shift sequence. once the converter locks the vehicle just noses over and pull up a hill.

Let the dam truck get up to speed before locking the converter....

the best shifting ford i've ever driven was my old '99 work truck (4.6, 4r70w) which wouldnt lock the converter until after the 4th gear change and then not until you let off the gas. which resulted in a seamleass 1-2-3-4-4L shift every time.

off my soap box .....

Old 07-31-2011, 08:43 PM
NotMyHusbandsF150
Senior User
Originally Posted by meborder

my 2010 work truck (5.4) does the same thing, and near as i can tell it is the converter locking up. Seems like right after the 2-3 shift, the trans locks the converter and the truck just noses over.

i REALLY wish ford would reconsider their shift programing .... they have been doing this for years and it drives me nuts.

my '00 exploder likes to lock the converter too early also which results in the ocasional 1-2-3-3L-4L-4-4L shift sequence. once the converter locks the vehicle just noses over and pull up a hill.

the best shifting ford i've ever driven was my old '99 work truck (4.6, 4r70w) which wouldnt lock the converter until after the 4th gear change and then not until you let off the gas. which resulted in a seamleass 1-2-3-4-4L shift every time.

off my soap box .....
YAH for the 4.6... I had to get excited b/c most ppl don't have anything good to say about my "baby" V-8! But it is a beast on its own! Shifts seamlessly! LOVE IT!

Old 08-01-2011, 06:26 AM
NStorm
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by meborder

off my soap box .....
That is a great point, I bet it is the converter locking up, I hadn't thought of that, and I absolutely agree, the rig should be up to speed before tightening everything down! This does seem short sighted on Fords part. I've gotten used to it, but it would be nice if it were a smooth pattern through all 6.

Also, I'd like to lock out 1st gear without manually shifting through all of the gears when not pulling...it is SOOO low. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks!

Old 08-01-2011, 09:04 AM
Justjimmy
Senior User
Originally Posted by tseekins
This has nothing to do with the EB engines. All of the new engines are using the same transmission. It's a transmission issue that is not engine specific. The EB seems to be getting all the attention as it's making up something like 36% of F-150 sales this year.
+1. It's a tranny thing for transmissions built within certain dates.

Nothing to do with the engine at all.

Also... I have a 5.0L however, from what I've seen in MANY f150 forums, and I have no data to back it up but... the 36% Ecoboost sales seems low to me.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:09 AM
OmahaEcoBoost
Junior User
Originally Posted by Justjimmy
+1. It's a tranny thing for transmissions built within certain dates.

Nothing to do with the engine at all.
Has notta thing to do with the EcoBoost, but nice try slipping that in by the poster above. Speaking of the EcoBoost I was in at my dealer talking about mine (gas mileage, etc) and I asked him what they were seeing for repairs/issues. He said they hadn't seen anything whatsoever thus far. In fact, on Saturday in roughly 5 hours they had already sold 6 of them.

Edit: The past couple of months it has been closer to 50% EcoBoosts sold.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:13 AM
Justjimmy
Senior User
Originally Posted by OmahaEcoBoost
Has notta thing to do with the EcoBoost, but nice try slipping that in by the poster above.
huh?

Old 08-01-2011, 09:19 AM
NotMyHusbandsF150
Senior User
Originally Posted by Justjimmy
huh?
He may be talking about me. No worries. I agree that the 36% sounds low.The couple new-new ones I've seen on base are both EB.

And I'm sure the PP was correct that it is not one specific engine, just all transmissions built within a certain date frame but I'm just throwing about my opinion.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:23 AM
Justjimmy
Senior User
like you said - no worries. The EBs are selling like hotcakes - better then Ford thought they would. I have a buddy that has one and LOVES it. The thing is a rocket.

I only went with the 5.0L because I like to mod and I LOVE the V8 sound - just the testosterone talking.

BOTH engines are awesome!

Quick Reply: Problems with 2011 F150 transmission