Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150
Reload this Page >

2005 f150 intermittent sputtering while driving

Notices
2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine Advertisement
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 f150 intermittent sputtering while driving

Old 01-24-2012, 10:01 AM
06Mountaineer
New User
06Mountaineer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Did you ever solve this problem? My 06 Mountaineer has gone through 4 coil packs and some plugs, the problem is still there. If I accellerate between 50-70mph the bucking starts. My extended warranty ran out.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:42 PM
zzyzxroad
New User
zzyzxroad is starting off with a positive reputation.
I havnt had a problem since I installed a new Fuel Pump Control modulator

The old one didnt look corroded or broken in anyway, but must have been faulty in some way.

I just wish I came to this forum before I spent 800 beans for the wrong diagnosis.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:57 PM
06Mountaineer
New User
ok thanks. So just to confirm your problem was little bucks when accellerating on the highway somewhere around 50, and the problem went away at higher speeds, and you have the 3 valve 4.6L V8 all correct? If so, on my dime I am going to take a chance and replace it on my own (what can a lose except a few bucks - I've already spent 400 just on the deductible cost under my extended warranty each time I went to the dealer)

Old 01-24-2012, 02:14 PM
zzyzxroad
New User
The part cost 100 or so, better than the 800 dollar Ford bill.

Yeah it was just bucking away. not always, which made it difficult to try to show Ford the problem. If I recall it was mostly around the 50 mph mark, but could do it at any speed.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:40 PM
06Mountaineer
New User
Thanks. Is this part also called a Fuel Pump Driver Module?

Old 01-24-2012, 03:54 PM
zzyzxroad
New User
Old 01-24-2012, 07:18 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Greg B has a good reputation on FTE.Greg B has a good reputation on FTE.Greg B has a good reputation on FTE.
06 Mountaineer, double check the Ford shop manual under fuel systems or ask your Ford parts pro or a Ford tech. On a lot of Fords the fuel pump driver module is actually part of the fuel pump assembly. It is on Tauruses. When that was the problem on our Taurus I retrieved a P0191 code. That P0191 code also seems to be the case with the F150's. Just a suggestion. The symptoms sound like that's the problem, but check it out first before throwing parts at it. It'll save time and $ in the end.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:19 PM
Sheiweesh
New User
Sheiweesh is starting off with a positive reputation.
2005 F150 5.4 L v8 Triton 4X4 stuttering and Not Ready

2005 F150 5.4 L v8 Triton 4X4 stuttering around 40 mph and O2 Sensors and Cat Sensor Not Ready. Replaced the fuel module and problem is solved.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:05 PM
f150scout
New User
f150scout is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sputtering acceleration

I've noticed that my sputtering is only while the EOD is turned ON and I accelerate between 40 and 70 MPH. With the EOD turned OFF, I do not have acceleration issues. I asked a mechanic friend of mine and he suggested that the coils or boots were the problem. This doesn't make sense because the sputtering is only with EOD ON.

Anyone able to confirm my suspicion that my electronic overdrive my be the root of the problem?

Old 09-28-2017, 01:25 PM
tdubb843
New User
tdubb843 is starting off with a positive reputation.
2005 Ford F150 Lariat 5.4

I'm lost here.

I've had my truck at the Ford Dealership for the past 2 weeks now. I took it to them due to code P0191 showing. It was running poorly, black smoke from exhaust, sputtering. The guy i bought it from told me the board was bad. I decided to try and fix the cheaper things first. So I replaced fuel pressure sensor. FPDM is in good shape. All compression test on injectors were ok. The dealership scanner pulled up like 10 codes my friends shop didn't (he had a very expensive scanner). All the codes they told me came up pointed to the Throttle body (which I had cleaned a week before). So they ripped me a new one charging me $700 for a new throttle body. I went and picked my truck up that day....drove fine otw home....next morning check engine light back on, same code showing, and same symptoms happening intermittently. Ford has came to me with different "could be" reasons....fuel injector....defective pressure sensor....even came to me saying that it seemed to be dropping pressure when turning the wheel one direction, which makes no sense at all.....or it could be electrical (which i told them from the beginning, about being told the board was bad) Any ideas?

Old 03-21-2019, 10:42 PM
Gustave D Gessner II
New User
Gustave D Gessner II is starting off with a positive reputation.
News to me.

Originally Posted by zzyzxroad View Post
Hi all. Here is a little read into my problem. I hope I am detailed enough and clear enough for you all to understand my dillema.

It started completely unexpectedly about a month ago when I was driving around 70kmh while cruising. I would get a few "jerks" of a sputter, then was able to drive a km or 2 before it did it again. I drove to a friends and he got in, and the sputtering episode was over.

Since then, I cannot simulate the way I was driving to make it sputter for any mechanic, but I have been getting sputter on and off the last month.

The one time I got in the truck and started it, put the truck in drive, and it sputtered for a few seconds. I wasnt driving at all this time. This was the only time It sputtered in a stading position.

Here are a few points to maybe help narrow down what happens.

-I am usually driving around 70-90kmh
-I am usually under no loads (not towing, hauling etc).
-My mileage seems to be getting worse.
-this was normally happening not only when the engine was warm, but when it was warm outside and I was driving it for a longer period.
-When I started driving my truck I calculated around 16mpg city. I am currently getting around 13-14. I was on the hiway for around 250 km and got 14mpg. Seems I get better mileage when puttering through the city than when I am on the hiway.

I had the truck in to a dealer 2 weeks ago. They did an injector flush, new sparkies, number 5 coil, and took me for $780, saying the problem is fixed.

A few days ago, I was driving on the onramp to the hiway accelerating around 90kmh and for around 4-5 seconds I was sputtering and jerking so bad I thought I was done for. The truck finally recovered and again, havnt had any episodes since.

The dealership says their electrician doesnt know what to do, and would need my truck for 4-5 days to try to see the problem for himself.

I can only think, as a non-mechanic, that it is something to do with some sensor, possibly a fuel, and/or oxygen sensor.

Any thoughts, comments, questions are greatly appreciated!!!

2005 F-150
88000km
gas

I read about your issue. I've been having a sputtering issue with my 5.4 Triton v8 and asked a buddy at work if he'd experienced this issue since his f150 has the exact same motor. What he said was there a leak somewhere below the wipers that allows water to drip into and sit in the engine block, corroding the coils. I reached to the back of mine on my lunch break and sure enough, there was some play and a wet spot just below it. The guy told me a friend of his replaced the corroded coil(s) and coated them with silicone to waterproof them and it seemed to work.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:10 PM
markedman90
Senior User
markedman90 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Talking

Originally Posted by f150scout View Post
I've noticed that my sputtering is only while the EOD is turned ON and I accelerate between 40 and 70 MPH. With the EOD turned OFF, I do not have acceleration issues. I asked a mechanic friend of mine and he suggested that the coils or boots were the problem. This doesn't make sense because the sputtering is only with EOD ON.

Anyone able to confirm my suspicion that my electronic overdrive my be the root of the problem?
I had been questioning that myself. Mis-fires ~ 40/45 in O.D. went away w/o O.D. . Also seemed to be a little worse when the weather was damp. Plugs and Accel coils got rid of that issue. I had figured that the boots were bad causing it to be worse wet, but 6 of the 8 coils were cracked, although I had no codes (unusual).
I'm taking a trip to PA. and N.C., so today I got a new FPCM and installed it as a "just because", and even tho the truck ran good before the new module, it's better now. Makes me wonder about my fuel pressure. Another thing to check pre-trip.

Old 04-08-2019, 09:10 AM
redfishtd
Elder User
redfishtd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Od on means very low RPM under load

Another words its lugging that's the zone misfires are apparent. We see it all the time, it happened to me . A hill helps it show up . The misfire threshold on ford is set high to not be an false fail of emissions . It can be seen in code readers, mode six display which lists raw computer counts for each cyl building towards setting a code . Ideally this should be zero and is achievable with a proper hosp clean plug/boot job .
It is confusing to most people as they say I don't have a CEL so it must be okay . Some guys and shops have even done a trans rebuild for misfires because of the bucking .People also are very reluctant to replace boots because they look good even if they have 100k on them . They are fairly cheap and a lot of coils come with them . Not to mention those who still believe in a 100k plus plug change . That was a sales tactic and just causes grief especially when ford came up with failing plugs that seized in the head then broke off .
Next some people believe its normal to maint change all coils .Its not necessary as OEMs can get corroded terminals they rarely fail . Aftermarkets never worked for me in six months mine failed .I have 7 oem coils and one duralast guaranteed at 201k .You can't really believe you get the same thing as oem costing $50 each and after market $6, a really good high voltage coil takes high grade silicon steel and bubble-less epoxy of high grade .One turn to turn short on the thousands of turns knocks it to junk.
Not torquing in the plugs with a torque wrench to the higher 25-28 foot pounds leads to blowby and plugs destroying themselves. Plus it can launch the whole assembly taking some of the aluminum threads with it .
I can understand a shop trying to make money on plugs and being in a hurry and even not attempting the difficult ones . That's why we encourage guys to do their own ,you have lots of time they don't . I know there are engines that have to be pulled to change some plugs on older cars ,some new ones you have to pull the intake . So this doesn't rise to this level .
Split cops are abnormal they can't be oem . Too many guys like fancy colored ones and just like fishing lures they get caught --fish don't buy lures .
Damp weather and cracked COPS ,do you think that may have the high voltage shorting out with moisture !!! We have heard this also .
A very good code reader for this engine is the $5 torque pro app /amazon bluetooth reader around $20 bucks /android phone activated or not .
If you pressure wash this engine you better know your stuff .
Learn to do a really good plug job and take your time .It will be good for 60k .

Old 04-08-2019, 08:48 PM
Fifty4F100
Posting Guru
Fifty4F100 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Fifty4F100 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I've got this same issue with my 2008. The plugs/boots were changed over in October 2007. Mine was assembled September 2007, so I have the old design black boots. I've put off changing my plugs for quite a while. Mine only bucks trying to ease up my MPH around 55 to 60. If I hit harder and it downshifts, no bucking. At first I thought it was a need to change transmission fluid. I've heard someone saying it is transmission related, but only that the torque convertor is unlocking and locking back at this RPM/MPH. I can't believe this happens to me everyday and no code has ever tripped. I've got 146K miles now and hope for 200+.

Old 04-08-2019, 10:15 PM
markedman90
Senior User
markedman90 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm going to make a rash assumption and figure you meant the plugs were changed in '17, not '07. Mine (believed to be original) had 116K, and 6 of 8 coils were cracked while 7 0f 8 plugs came out cleanly. I bought the truck last June @113K with no service history. Aside from now having no discernible misfires, it runs noticeably better overall.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 f150 intermittent sputtering while driving

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.