General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Runnin' down a dream!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 06:12 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Smile Runnin' down a dream!

Most of you know that my daughter Sarah is a softball player. She plays fall ball, summer ball, school ball and travel ball. She's been playing ball since she was 5 years old. She is now 17 and will graduate HS in 2012.

Her dream is and always has been to play college softball, any college anywhere. She's had recently set her sights on the University of Maine. We have family there and quite frankly, it's a great school with a fantastic rep.

Sarah is a very petite young lady. She stands 5'1" and weighs maybe 100 lbs. You can imagine how small she was when she was much younger.

All through the years she's been told that she's too small, too slow, too weak and not skilled enough to play softball at a highly competitive level. She kept after it jumping one hurdle then another all the while ignoring the coaches that refused to work with her the same as the other players.

Through lots of tears, sweat, blood and plain good ole fashioned hard work she started to improve. Then she got stronger, faster and more skilled.

Anyway, this past week Sarah and my wife were in Maine for the purpose of getting Sarah to Umaine's softball camp. The head coach recognized her immediately because of all of my phone calls over the past few months.

At the end of the week, the coach sat her down and said that she has a spot for her on the team if she chooses to attend classes at Umaine.

My friends, I'm in tears writing this. This poor kid has been knocked down, told no and pushed aside for so long and she kept getting up and coming back for more abuse.

Her current travel team has been instrumental in preparing her for this moment. I will promptly thank them personally for their investment and belief in my little Sarah.

The sky is the limit for Sarah. She can do anything she wants when she's runnin' down a dream.

Written by one extremely proud dad.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:22 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Awesome ..

Determination (both of you ) gets it gone ...

Old 07-22-2011, 06:26 PM
rangerfan
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scouts used to say that Peter Edward Rose was to small and weak too.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:39 PM
fordtruckman
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's awesome congrats to her and you!

Old 07-22-2011, 06:48 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
You go, Sarah. You too, dad, for your support.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:51 PM
fz1dave
Super Duty
Congrats to you both!

Good luck Sarah!

Old 07-22-2011, 06:58 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Michael Jordan was cut from his high school varsity basketball team his sophomore year.

You should be very proud of her hard effort. Now a days, people have forgotten how much you can accomplish with hard work and a never give up attitude.
My HS Junior daughter is 5' 85 lbs. Her running has given her a voice and drive.

The traits your daughter has displayed will move her ahead of the pack in her life. You may have seen the NCAA commercials saying most college athletes will go pro in something besides their sport.

You have helped her become a woman who can handle more than the vast majority of the world. Congratulations, and enjoy college softball. As a former college distance runner, I know that the experience will make her a much better person.

A bit of advise when she begins. In college you start over, you are the low man on the totem pole. Work hard and respect comes, but she knows that already.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:44 PM
BIGKEN
Received 7,098 Likes on 4,183 Posts
Tim...pass my congrats and best wishes on to Sarah!!! Tell her to dress warm...it gets ungodly cold in Maine in the winter. REPS sent to her...through you!!!

Old 07-22-2011, 08:03 PM
OrangeJuice
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Being told that you're too small, too weak, too slow or not skilled enough will only make someone work harder to prove them wrong...and that's what she did. Many sports greats were told they would never make it in the pros and later tured out to be stars. Same with actors and other entertainers were told the same only later to reach top star status. Hard work always pays off. Congratulations to her and you.

P.S. Do you have any pics of her playing ball you can share with us?

OJ

Old 07-22-2011, 08:12 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
This is the best pic of her. She's playing second base here earlier this year. She's the little one geared up to throw the ball.

Attached Images  
Old 07-22-2011, 08:17 PM
gatormccluskey
Posting Guru
Congrats. You go girl

Old 07-22-2011, 08:34 PM
Eatonpcat
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I remember that picture from earlier...Pure determination!!!

Congrats to your daughter Sarah, Hope the rest of her dreams come true!!

Old 07-22-2011, 08:43 PM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
A huge Congrats to Sarah and you Tim as well for all the hard work to get to that stage. Right on!!

Old 07-23-2011, 07:39 AM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome, Tim. Sounds like she's on the way. You've done something right in raising Sarah, you should be proud of yourself and the Mrs, too. She didn't learn those qualities on her own. Way to be a mentor!

Old 07-23-2011, 07:44 AM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Congratulations to you and Sarah. Determination is a great thing. In today's society where attention spans are shorter than the commercials, it's great to see someone latch onto something like a bulldog and not let go. A great example to others.

Quick Reply: Runnin' down a dream!