1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Patina..?..Not so much..

Old 07-21-2011, 07:58 AM
ozark1
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Patina..?..Not so much..

I want to compound and wax the original fire red/silver paint on my '84. I know the silver will probably not shine much..but what is the best compound to bring the red up a bit. I'm old school..so Turtle Wax comes to mind..but what is better ?..

Old 07-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I used rubbing compound on my and it worked well. However, the hooh's paint was chalk thru and thru, so I got no shine there.

You know, thinking of the hoods, I'm wondering if Ford painted them thinner than everything else. So many of them are rusted, and/or losing paint when the cabs aren't, and they've been in the same sun.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:56 AM
ozark1
Laughing Gas
Mine isn't chalked..But the top is silver..and it's dull. Probably won't shine much. I think rubbing compound might be a little too abrasive..Maybe polishing compound ??..Then a good wax...

Old 07-21-2011, 12:03 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Yes, polishing compound is a good choice if your paint is just oxidized a bit. It'll leave more paint than rubbing compound. Start with it and if it works great. If it doesn't take enough or the compound gets stuck in the finish then switch to the more aggressive rubbing compound.

And, finish with a good wax. If you got all the dead paint off you won't need a wax with a cleaner or polish in it.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:26 PM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by ozark1
Mine isn't chalked..But the top is silver..and it's dull. Probably won't shine much. I think rubbing compound might be a little too abrasive..Maybe polishing compound ??..Then a good wax...
My other vehicle is a 1998 Jeep Wrangler, and I still gets tons of compliments on how great the paint looks on it. Before you wax it, get yourself the Meguair's or Mother's Clay Bar and follow the instructions. You will be amazed at how it easy it is to use and what the clay bar will remove! When you finish using the clay bar, the painted surface should be as smooth as glass. When you reach that point, then it is time to wax to protect the finish. The best wax I have ever used is the Meguiar's Gold Class. Any wax that is pure canauba wax will work well.

Ozark, I would love to see pictures of your red and silver truck! Is it a "Deluxe" tu-tone or is it the "Victoria" tu-tone?

Old 07-21-2011, 12:31 PM
ozark1
Laughing Gas
I've read a couple articles about the clay bar..This would be a good time to try it. I was thinking about trying it on my Hummer...

Old 07-21-2011, 12:52 PM
ozark1
Laughing Gas
Lariat..Sent you an Email..Never heard of..Victoria..or Deluxe..Maybe you can tell ..

Old 07-21-2011, 01:35 PM
Shark Racer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The clay bar helps with laying down an even surface, but if you have any kind of micro surface abrasion (swirls) or oxidation, you'll need to hit it with a mildly abrasive compound to even out the surface layer.

I have a pretty serious orbital buffer that I use.

It works wonders on oxidation. (and swirls)

Old 07-21-2011, 02:12 PM
ozark1
Laughing Gas
Use the polishing compound..THEN the clay bar ??.......

Old 07-21-2011, 04:28 PM
Shark Racer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Use the polishing compound..THEN the clay bar ??.......
No.

The clay bar is like running sticky tape on a shirt that has dog hair on it, picks up things you couldn't get off by regular washing. It does NOTHING to polish the surface, other than help in creating a uniform polish surface which increases the final gloss level.

If you hit it with polishing compound first, odds are the buffer will pick up whatever's stick to the paint (and also it's likely that it'll swirl it around.)

You attack a polishing project by using the least abrasive compound you have to use, and then going up from there.

So!
1. Wash the car
2. Clay the car
3. wash the car again (to eliminate clay residue)
4. "Polish"
5. Seal. (sealant/wax)

Polishing the car would mean starting from an appropriate level, the following is a list of abrasiveness:
1. Wet sanding (for runs, paint imperfections / minor high spots)
2. Rubbing compound
3. Heavy polish (heavy swirl remover)
4. Lighter polish (removes minor swirls and any haze from the heavier polish)
All of the steps of polishing are designed to remove evidence of the step before, and create a much smoother paint surface.

Good luck!

Old 07-21-2011, 04:35 PM
ozark1
Laughing Gas
Got it !!...Don't plan on ever painting the truck. It's always garaged..and..my oldest Grandson wants it when he is 16 !!..

Old 07-21-2011, 07:30 PM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Lariat..Sent you an Email..Never heard of..Victoria..or Deluxe..Maybe you can tell ..

MIGHTY FINE truck you have there! That paint scheme you have is very unusual. Here is a visual of Ford's tu-tone designs.

As you can see, it's definitely not a Victoria tu-tone, but it isn't exactly how Ford did their Combination tu-tones either. It looks like a hybrid of both the Regular and the Victoria tu-tones. I have never seen a color combination like that one before, but I think it looks really nice like that, and has a "stock" look to it. My guess is that someone customized the paint colors.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:58 AM
ozark1
Laughing Gas
Lariat..Thanks for the info. and the photo. post. The orange stripe is tape..like is mentioned in your info. Haven't heard from anyone else on the color scheme..Soon as the weather cools...I'll clay/compound/wax..The 3 row radiator is worlds better..Now runs at O to R........But, I just bought a new SW mechanical temp gauge..I'm gunshy after 2 NEW senders were faulty...thanks to all the members who chimed in...Jerry.........PS..Did get a couple ??s about the grille guard..It is a modified factory FORD item..I rounded all the corners..replaced the bent light bar with the polished aluminum one..changed to stainless hardware..and painted it to match the truck..The lights are tractor items..

Old 07-23-2011, 08:41 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Ozark - Your turn signals, both front and side, look to be clear. Are they original or replacements? Mine are faded and I am thinking abou what to replace them with.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:47 AM
ozark1
Laughing Gas
Both are clear..Got them..where else !!..Ebay...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Patina..?..Not so much..