1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

84 to 93 swap / pictures

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 03:38 PM
Mtnplow
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is Alive.
Realized an empty tank needs 8 gals to reach the fuel pump, it does run though. With the rear still apart, I may have to drive it down the street for the fun of it in 4x4.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:53 PM
lavatan
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sweet job man. Glad you were able to get it up and running. It's one of the best feelings in the world getting something you put time and money into running. Great job!!!!

Old 12-03-2011, 09:12 AM
Mtnplow
Junior User
Thank you, it has been fun and a challenge. Waiting on some rear bearings and tahn I'll be searching for the best post on here to shim it together. Any input would be helpful , it's a Dana 70

Old 12-04-2011, 12:04 PM
ghanson
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
That's an amazing build! You did a great job on that thing.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:52 PM
Mtnplow
Junior User
So I'm keeping the Dana70 rear because well it seems to have an aftermarket posi in it and I happen to buy the R&P prior to pricing the Yard. SO I will not have a speedo but one helva rear. So this is where my intelligence takes on a challenge and with some help got to learning myself some stuff : ) So remember it's on a budget or this thing would have been together if not. Remember I found out after dragging the truck home and experiencing a very loud pop that the pinion was like the abominable snowman with no teeth (xmas time) and the inner bearing was melted. So since the new (used) pinion came with a good bearing already pressed on I bought a race for it (which you can do by piece at Napa). So I found a neat dana.pdf that explained how to set up a Dana70 and it is complicated ! Seems pinions are marked (old one +3) (new one +6) I found out that means you need to remove (-003) shims from pinion depth from the original. I don't have those fancy measuring tools but I did learn that the bearing preload is 6-8 inch pounds after torque to 220" lbs for rotation. Than after carrier intallation 41" lbs for rotating and that is what I'm going with. The carrier bearings and shims are staying the same unless something is a miss and the truck is going back together. I purchased a left frt brake line so I can upgrade to the 95 brake system...had too cause I scrapped my old vac assist and the 92 will not bolt up to the 84 master cyl. I'm also eliminating the rear abs since well I don't have a tone ring on my rear. Got the rear lights wired up just need to purchase new lights. Got a bottom Rad hose for an 84 460 so I don't need to mess with any oil cooler crap 22.00 I thought that was rip off but i needed a new one.
So today I purchased; rear cover gasket, rear pinion seal,tube lim-slip add. 2 qrts gear oil,bearing cup,bat term end,di-electric comp,lft frt brake line 95 f250,rad hose and I returned frt axle core, 104.00 ....my Wife left the store So expecting up to 7" of snow tonight so I tarped the truck (big tarp) and made a tent so I can work on it tomorrow......I want this thing on the road (so does my Wife) still need tires and to fabricate a plowframe.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:02 PM
lavatan
Laughing Gas
Tl;dr. J/k. Sounds like you did a helluva lotta work there.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:13 AM
Mtnplow
Junior User
Next time it will be to build my Daughters muscle cars or trucks and I'll build a garage 1st.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:25 AM
lavatan
Laughing Gas
It really is handy to have a dry and (semi)warm place to work on vehicles.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:53 PM
Mtnplow
Junior User
don't have that luxury, I have snow and dirt

Old 12-08-2011, 03:03 PM
lavatan
Laughing Gas
LOL, sounds like the beginnings of an igloo

Old 12-08-2011, 03:52 PM
Mtnplow
Junior User
got my tarp down, suppose to be warmer tomorrow

Old 12-12-2011, 06:28 AM
Mtnplow
Junior User
15 degrees this morning, it ran yesterday and run good, valves are a little noisey found I have a leaky radiator. Thankfully I have another. If I have a chance today I may upgrade the brake system and change that radiator an heading to the yard to pick up an upgraded starter and search out a 92 wiring harness because my wipers still will not work.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:44 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like fun and another brisk fall day up there.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:58 PM
Mtnplow
Junior User
It runs and almost everything works !!!!! heater and wipers still an issue, front end is lose but it's a ford, have some popping and missing still, need to tune it and go over the dist timing again. It runs, PTO works and it drives and the clutch worked itself out.

I had to grab the clutch slave and pump? off the 87 which was clocked different but after installing it noticed the line was leaking so I took both the 84 and 87 apart and swapped inserts and tubes and after some bleeding and driving it's perfect. Bled the new brake system and lines and all works wonderful. Pictures soon, still need a plow frame welded on before snow.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:45 PM
Mtnplow
Junior User
Looks like I have a bad lifter, damn Ford. Just when I was going to get a plow mounted I have to rip it apart. #3 exhaust rocker is tapping and barely moving, pushrod is spinning and oiling. swapped out pushrods and rockers and still nothing.

Quick Reply: 84 to 93 swap / pictures