1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

New to FTE...Old Project

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 06:38 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I love the tag! And I know another FTE'er that may steal that for his truck as he was bummed I beat him to DADSTRK. As for the running around, I feel for you. Been there, done that so many times. And, on the studs, thread the nuts back on such that you are hitting them and not the stud. That way if your hammer is like mine and has poor vision you won't hit the threads or peen over the end of the stud.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:28 AM
Yaga1973
Elder User - What???

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you should invest in a shop manual for your truck - it will pay for itself in one day of multiple trips and you won' be so surprised anymore.

At least you are making progress and learning quite a bit along the way. Keep it up, you're doing fine. 4WD hubs aren't the most fun thing to do, but once you get one done right, you'll appreciate that most others are pretty much the same, with varying processes of tightening the hubs down.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:37 AM
Djork
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
I love the tag! And I know another FTE'er that may steal that for his truck as he was bummed I beat him to DADSTRK.
Well, so long as they're not in Nevada I wouldnt mind. But after reading all 205 pages of your thread I'm guessing it will be in Oklahoma.

Originally Posted by Yaga1973
I think you should invest in a shop manual for your truck - it will pay for itself in one day of multiple trips and you won' be so surprised anymore.

At least you are making progress and learning quite a bit along the way. Keep it up, you're doing fine. 4WD hubs aren't the most fun thing to do, but once you get one done right, you'll appreciate that most others are pretty much the same, with varying processes of tightening the hubs down.
Funny you should mention the shop manual. After I called it a night I started looking around . Lots of PDF versions for sale, but I don't trust most of the sites. And since I have a Galaxy Tab to read files on I'd like PDF vs the physical books. But I am getting one.

Progress is good. And I'm learning a lot along the way. Yeah, I put myself in situations where I learn the hard way, but so far none of the lessons cost me too much money, just time. And at the moment I'm trying to get the truck as safe as I can make it, so I don't mind spending money on safe. Later I can spend money on looks or go fast. I'm not in a hurry for that though.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:22 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by Djork
Well, so long as they're not in Nevada I wouldnt mind. But after reading all 205 pages of your thread I'm guessing it will be in Oklahoma.
I'm incredulous! You read all 205 pages?!?!?!?! Wow, you either have way too much time or a sleep problem. But, you are right, the other guy is in OK.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:23 AM
Djork
Freshman User
I'm incredulous! You read all 205 pages?!?!?!?! Wow, you either have way too much time or a sleep problem. But, you are right, the other guy is in OK.
No, I was having a "Two weeks before vacation and don't have projects running" type of day.

Today I got the races out of the hubs and new races pressed in. Nice to have a full shop available at times, and all it cost was lunch. After that I made a pick and pull run to get some random bits. Managed to get a stock air filter case from a 79 Lincoln, a smog pump off a random truck and a pair of 80's fog lights (mount below the bumper) that I really have no use for, but wanted to save from the crusher. Then back to getting the fronts put back together.

The wife and I got the wheel studs in (she's in love with the impact gun now) and I got started greasing the bearings and putting everything back together. Bearings went well, inner seal went in easy but now the new Warn hubs don't seat far enough for me to put the outer lock ring or the axle snap ring on. Frustrating to say the least. Going to do some more searches and the pull it all apart tomorrow and see if everything is correct. Found myself getting frustrated so I just stopped and watched TV for a bit. No use breaking something by rushing.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:50 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Good idea to stop when things aren't going right. I always regret it when I don't.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:10 PM
Djork
Freshman User
Good idea to stop when things aren't going right. I always regret it when I don't.
Well after spending most of the evening looking everything up, and some of today re-reading it may just be a case of having the wheel a bit turned and the axle not pushed out.

I did get some good news regarding smog testing. According to this Nevada Administrative Code I don't need to try to rebuild all the smog equipment, but I would appreciate it if anyone can read this over and see if they interpretate it the same as I do.:
NAC 445B.580  Inspection of vehicle: Procedure for certain vehicles with model year of 1995 or older and heavy-duty vehicles with model year of 1996 or newer. (NRS 445B.785)
1.  Except as otherwise provided in subsection 4, the provisions of this section apply to inspections of:
(a) All motor vehicles with a model year of 1968 to 1995, inclusive; and
(b) With regard to motor vehicles with a model year of 1996 or newer, all heavy-duty motor vehicles.
2.  After the owner or operator of a motor vehicle subject to the provisions of this section requests an inspection, an approved inspector shall follow the sequence of prompts displayed by the exhaust gas analyzer when conducting the inspection. While the vehicle is at normal operating temperature, the inspector shall connect the exhaust gas analyzer to the vehicle following the sequence of instructions programmed into the analyzer. The probe of the analyzer must be placed in the exhaust pipe of the vehicle. With the engine speed increased to 2,500 revolutions per minute, a steady level of carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons must be recorded by the analyzer. The engine speed must be returned to idle and a steady level of carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons must be recorded. If the vehicle is equipped with dual exhaust pipes, a test must be completed on both exhaust pipes and the average level of carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons must be recorded when the engine speed is increased to 2,500 revolutions per minute and when the engine speed is returned to idle.
3.  The inspector shall visually inspect:
(a) The exhaust system to determine whether or not there is smoke when idling and at 2,500 revolutions per minute; and
(b) The engine to determine whether or not there are blowby gases from the crankcase when idling and at 2,500 revolutions per minute.
4.  The inspector shall:
(a) Visually inspect:
(1) All motor vehicles subject to the provisions of this section to determine the presence of a properly installed gas cap; and
(2) Each motor vehicle with a model year of 1981 to 1995, inclusive, and, with regard to motor vehicles with a model year of 1996 or newer, each heavy-duty motor vehicle, to determine the presence of an exhaust gas recirculation system, catalytic converter, air injection system and fuel inlet restricter, and to determine whether that equipment appears to be operating in accordance with the specifications of the manufacturer of the vehicle; and
(b) Enter the results of the visual inspection into the analyzer.
5.  The inspector shall complete each test and issue a vehicle inspection report indicating whether or not the vehicle passes the inspection.
6.  The inspector shall issue a vehicle inspection report indicating that the vehicle did not pass the inspection if:
(a) The emissions from the vehicle exceed the maximum levels for carbon monoxide or hydrocarbons, or both, as prescribed in NAC 445B.596;
(b) Smoke or blowby is visible; or
(c) The vehicle does not meet the requirements of NAC 445B.579.
7.  If a motor vehicle subject to the provisions of this section passes all portions of an inspection but has an improper gas cap or no gas cap, the owner or operator of the motor vehicle shall obtain a gas cap which is in accordance with the specifications of the manufacturer of the vehicle. The inspector shall inspect the new gas cap and certify its presence in a manner prescribed by the Department, and sign and date the failing vehicle inspection report beneath the gas cap tamper description. Such a vehicle inspection report may be used as evidence of compliance.
(Added to NAC by Dep’t of Motor Veh. & Pub. Safety, eff. 12-28-89; A 5-17-90; 8-19-94; 9-13-95; R079-98, 9-25-98; A by Dep’t of Motor Veh. by R178-01, 8-21-2002; R068-05, 6-1-2006, eff. 9-1-2006)
I have a 1980 F-150.

Luke

Old 06-24-2013, 05:33 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I would like to see one of those inspectors look at mine or ArdWrkTrk's vehicles, Mine is an 86 and his is an 87, both are 460 carbureted engines (originally) and are over 8500 GVW classification. Both say NON-CATALYST in 1/4" high letters on the emission label. The rules you have posted read in 4. (2) (b) that it must be visually inspected for ...., catalytic converter,.... How do they reconcile that one?

Old 06-24-2013, 05:44 PM
Djork
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 85lebaront2
I would like to see one of those inspectors look at mine or ArdWrkTrk's vehicles, Mine is an 86 and his is an 87, both are 460 carbureted engines (originally) and are over 8500 GVW classification. Both say NON-CATALYST in 1/4" high letters on the emission label. The rules you have posted read in 4. (2) (b) that it must be visually inspected for ...., catalytic converter,.... How do they reconcile that one?
I think it would be covered under Heavy-Duty as that classification begins at 8500 GVW. So there would be a whole different subset of rules.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:18 PM
Djork
Freshman User
What a difference a day makes!

After taking yesterday off from working on the truck I got back at it with a new set of eyes. After I got looking at the troublesome side I noticed a ton of old grease being pushed out at the axle from the spindle. Which in turn was jamming the hub so it wouldn't seat right. So it took it off to clean it up as much as I could. Every nut holding it on only took a minimal amount of pressure to break loose. Seal from the axle was ****-eyed and since I didnt have another I cleaned it up as best I could with hot water, got is seated correctly and greased everything up with new. This time everything went together like butter. After pausing to eat dinner, the wife and I finished the other side with zero issues. Now it looks like this winter I'll be replacing everything from the knuckle out.

Tomorrow I'll finish getting the calipers on and the brakes re-bled. But I'm that much closer to getting her back on the road!!

After vacation that is.

Thanks to everyone that has posted a question regarding hub replacement. And I'm also happy to report that the Search function works perfect on this forum.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:27 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Glad you got it fixed. Have a good vacation!

Old 07-01-2013, 10:08 PM
'lizard"
New User
What holds the front axle in the diff. housing on 84 ranger?

Old 04-11-2014, 12:08 PM
Djork
Freshman User
Holy dead thread revival Batman!

But since it's my own I think I'm allowed.

It has been almost a year since I've touched the truck last (Other than to throw more random crap in the bed) and finally got the motivation to work on it again. This time with help.

Got the brakes all back together and mostly buttoned up and had it towed to a shop owned by my neighbor who's been working on Fords since the 70's. Him and I (Mostly him) got the driveshaft in, all the parts that need grease greased and pumped the gas that was in the side tank out. I took it to him because I know I didn't have the knowledge or tools to do this right. And I'm very glad I took it to him.

IT IS A RUNNING/DRIVING TRUCK AGAIN!!!!

Started it in the shop and blew all the old smoke out (I'm still a little loopy from the amount of exhaust) and she purred like a kitten! Not only that I was able to pull it out of the shop bay and back in. Under its OWN POWER! Holy cow yesterday was a good day. Sent a bunch of pictures to my Dad and he's as happy as I am. Until I let him know how much has been spent in this endeavor. I don't think he really knew the full cost of getting it road worthy again.

But still! She RUNS!

Its still in the shop so Bill (my neighbor) can make sure I installed the brakes correctly (which I doubt), check the trans and add fluid, check the power steering and generally give it a once over. He's also making a list of things I can take care of myself that need to get done. He's a really nice guy and I'm really damn lucky to live near him. I just hope I can absorb 1/10000th of what he knows.

Proof of the start:

This was the second restart so the smoke wasn't all that bad. But still filled the shop and pissed off the people doing Crossfit in the parking lot (don't open a gym between a rear-end shop and a two other Auto Shops).

It will be nice to have her in my driveway again knowing that I can actually drive it!

Luke

Last edited by Djork; 04-11-2014 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Exhaust fumes cause me to spell incorrectly.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:33 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Reason: Exhaust fumes cause me to spell incorrectly.

<!-- xxx -->

Old 04-11-2014, 01:58 PM
JGreen236
Elder User
Originally Posted by ctubutis

<!-- xxx -->
lmfao ! ^

Makes me want to revive my old build thread. (Which is over 2 years old) Welcome back!

Quick Reply: New to FTE...Old Project