Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Places to look for cause of low MPGs

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 09:27 AM
Tailgate77478
Laughing Gas

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DP-Tuner
5. ...Remember to always change the HPOP reservoir oil each time.

Jody
YES!!!!!!!! Thank you Jody for that comment. You can't believe how happy it made me to see it.

Sorry for the diversion from the original topic...

Old 07-18-2011, 09:33 AM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Rose Clifford
my 80e shifts into 4th early too so i can cruise around town in 4th gear @ 41mph
I can get into OD at 38 mph ...40 tow w/ John Wood transmission.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:37 AM
Rose Clifford
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nlemerise
I can get into OD at 38 mph ...40 tow w/ John Wood transmission.
3.73? I could get into OD at 38 too if I wanted to lug the crap out of my engine....

Old 07-18-2011, 11:38 AM
unregistered guest
Junior User
Originally Posted by snakedoc
i have no lift 285-75-16 on 3.73 with mods in sig and i only get 16 mpg so i dont know what to teal you. and i got only 15 with the stock air box?
I'm like you with no mods and get 16. I was getting 12 and found my caliper was sticking a little. I just put the sixth caliper on two months ago and the mpg' came back.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:01 PM
Jmudweiser
Senior User
MPG

I was only getting 360 miles out of a 36 gal tank. I have a dp tuner but was running in stock for mpg tests. My truck ran great! I decided to put in a modded 17* HPOP ($275- from clay at riftraft) my first fill up I gained 60 miles on the tank in a 60hp tow setting towing a 20' jet boat through hills. i was amazed!! basicly it added 2 mpg. but i would have never thought a HPOP with only 120,000 miles on it would be and issue. $$$ well spent!

Old 07-18-2011, 01:04 PM
SteveH-CO
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Without sounding too aghast - how in the world can changing the HPOP oil improve fuel mileage? I sucked 3/4 quart out of my reservoir the other day, but only because I was changing from dino to synthetic and wanted a 'full change'. I'm running synthetic for easier winter starts (not mileage). So, 3/4 quart out of 14 quarts? Has anyone shown 'old oil' to significantly affect mileage?

Old 07-18-2011, 01:23 PM
Jmudweiser
Senior User
They way it was described to me from joey @ terminater eng. Is the heart of our fuel system is the HPOP, if it can build higher pressure it can atomize the fuel better. Better burn = better milage.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:26 PM
Jmudweiser
Senior User
as for the old oil in the res. joey said sludgewill affects output pressure.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:29 PM
Jmudweiser
Senior User
He is super helpfull here is his e-mail. Joey@terminatorengineering.com

Old 08-18-2011, 09:48 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by DP-Tuner
A few things to look at and test.
1. Tire tread pattern. Aggressive tires will normally yield worse mileage.
2. Air intake. I had 5 customers tell me that they all lost 4 mpg after installing the intake. Try putting the stock air box back in.
3. HPOP pressures. Low pressures will prevent optimum atomization.
4. Fuel quality. Make sure you run a good additive.
5. Oil. Good clean oil will help. Remember to always change the HPOP reservoir oil each time.

Jody
How can I check my HPOP pressure?

Old 08-18-2011, 09:51 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need a diagnostic tool, whether AE or other, to monitor ICP. Another option is to rig up a line to the heads, with a guage, see David's threads(Bulla) to monitor mechanically, or a HPOP gauge Riffraff Diesel ISSPRO EV2 HPOP Gauge

Old 08-18-2011, 09:56 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
you can get a #4 fitting and put in the the head with a gauge, good to check.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:56 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

I posted this somewhere else, thought I'd post it here too..

EBPS: Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor (and tube). Clean these and replace if necessary. Dont forget to clean the hole in the manifold too.
MAP Sensor: Check for leaks.
IC Boots: Check for leaks, including the boots under the spider.
Turbo: Check for leaks around where the turbo outlet meets the spider.
Up Pipes: Leaks in the up pipes WILL cause a drop in MPG. Exhaust gas leaking here will cause the turbo no to spool up as much or as quickly, causing the truck not to burn fuel properly. It goes back to the stoichiometric ratio. If the air:fuel ratio isn't right, its wasted energy. Your truck is a finely tunes machine. Any deviation from its planned path will decrease efficiency.
Fluids: Pretty basic. Change ALL fluids in the drive line (or better yet all of them). As I mentioned any change in your truck's anatomy will decrease efficiency (this goes back to changing to coolant too).
Driveline: Physically follow the drive line. Check everything for hand ups. Excess play in the driveshaft or ujoints can cause drag.
Hubs: Check out this video. I start out in 2wd but the front driveshaft spins anyway. This was caused by a stuck hub. Service your hubs (30 mins each) and you can fix this. It causes drag on your wheels by turning the entire front drive system.

Brake Caliper Pins: It is very possible your breaks are dragging, its a common problem. Service/Replace your break caliper pins.
Air Filter: Bigger Air filters equal more air in, making more power. However, most big filters (6637) delete the factory air box and suck in hot air. Hot air is less efficient. If you can, re-install the stock air box or get an aftermarket filter with a CAI. At least until you narrow down the leading cause of MPG leaking..
Injectors: If your injectors are partially clogged your fuel will not atomize properly, causing inefficient and inconstant burning.
HPOP Oil Pressure: Same rules apply. The HPOP actuates the injectors. Low pressure will cause the injectors to fire weak and not atomize fuel properly.

Check ALL of that and you should get your MPGs back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLZI2wMpn5I
2002 F250 4x4 Front Driveshaft (Hubs Stuck) - YouTube

Old 10-15-2011, 12:59 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Big one we all missed. Fuel leaks. Not uncommon on the 7.3.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:26 AM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
Like A/O said. Clogged fuel filter, leaky connections in the fuel line (typically before the fuel pump), air getting in the fuel line, clogged pickup line in the fuel tank can all cause poor MPG. Not enough fuel pressure, ect.
Much of the rest has been covered.
I am also experiencing a loss in fuel economy but I believe it is related to my 15* HPOP getting weak, weak/old maybe slightly clogged injectors (230K).
My fuel PSI has dropped 2 PSI in the past week so I may also have either a fuel filter plugging up or a clogged pickup line or starting to clog pickup line.
I am also running the 6637 which I really want to change to a cold air intake which will pickup air off the top of the hood instead of from inside the engine compartment which would mean more dense air and less heat going into the engine.
Basically my list of to do's to get my HP and mileage back up is....
Replace hood with reverse hood scoop and setup a cold air intake to pull air from on top of the hood.
Replace HPOP with modded 17* HPOP
Replace injectors
drop tank and mod/clean
change fuel filter
clean EBPS tube (already has new sensor)
replace intercooler with a 6.0 intercooler (more dense/cooled air)
replace turbo

This is my todo list but I still have yet to run diagnostics and double check that all other sensors are reading correctly.

Quick Reply: Places to look for cause of low MPGs