Holley street dominator vs stock d5te 4bbr

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 07:53 PM
FossenRacing
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holley street dominator vs stock d5te 4bbr

I know the street dom is a better manifold for high rpm
does anyone have comparative graphs on these manifolds.
Its on a 390, with msd 7al, flowtech headers and street dom intake.
Its for my mud race truck and in stock class i can have 3 bolt ons.
If the manifolds are close up to 5800 rpm i will ditch the dominator in favor of another bolt on like electric waterpump
Running through a stock holley carb (570 i think)
Or should i run a edlebrock perf/rpm and sell both of my old manifolds?

Old 07-17-2011, 07:13 PM
Sleepy445FE
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would recommend Jay Browns Great FE Intake Comparo book. Everything you want to know about which intake is best for a given app. plus lots of other exhaust dyno, oiling, and compatability info.
In this case it's a no brainer though, the Holley SD is MUCH better than the factory "T" intake. The difference @5800 is almost 50hp.

You are pushing the limits of your 570? carb at those rpms though. A 600cfm autolite 4100 might do you a bit better. Still a stock piece.

If you're looking for a little more power you might consider an RV type cam with a smooth idle. No one will know if you keep it reasonable. The Lunati Voodoo lineup is pretty good at accomplishing this. Good idle quality for the lift and duration being that they use an asymmetrical cam lobe instead of the symmetrical lobe most others use.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:26 PM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The D5 intake is just the standard 390 "S" or "T" in your case intake. The stock 390s ran out of breathe by 5000 RPM.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:51 AM
FossenRacing
Senior User
Originally Posted by Sleepy445FE
I would recommend Jay Browns Great FE Intake Comparo book. Everything you want to know about which intake is best for a given app. plus lots of other exhaust dyno, oiling, and compatability info.
In this case it's a no brainer though, the Holley SD is MUCH better than the factory "T" intake. The difference @5800 is almost 50hp.

You are pushing the limits of your 570? carb at those rpms though. A 600cfm autolite 4100 might do you a bit better. Still a stock piece.

If you're looking for a little more power you might consider an RV type cam with a smooth idle. No one will know if you keep it reasonable. The Lunati Voodoo lineup is pretty good at accomplishing this. Good idle quality for the lift and duration being that they use an asymmetrical cam lobe instead of the symmetrical lobe most others use.
I have thought of changing cam. But I've been running second for points all year and have a run on the leader. But can have a cam as long as it pulls 17 inches of vacuum and no more than 0.48 inch lift. But my truck is smoking the 460's, 454's, and 440's and I'm running the stock cam with .35 inch lift. They have tecked me in 4 times this year to see if I am cheating. Which I am not as I get more of a kick out of beating the cheaters by playin by the rules.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:11 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
If you are winning the way it is, I wouldn't mess with it. In other words, it ain't broke, so don't try fixing it.....

The SD may not be the best intake for all purposes, but it seems to be working well for you. I suspect that it's a much better choice than a stocker, and the ~50 LBS weight difference also comes in handy...... Lifting it with one hand, or 2 men, the choice is yours. I know which route I'd choose.....

Old 07-18-2011, 02:30 PM
FossenRacing
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff
If you are winning the way it is, I wouldn't mess with it. In other words, it ain't broke, so don't try fixing it.....

The SD may not be the best intake for all purposes, but it seems to be working well for you. I suspect that it's a much better choice than a stocker, and the ~50 LBS weight difference also comes in handy...... Lifting it with one hand, or 2 men, the choice is yours. I know which route I'd choose.....
Exactly my thought. Will wait till the seasons over before I crank it up a notch. Unless some of the other trucks start preforming

Old 07-18-2011, 03:10 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Good plan. Just for kicks, I'll add this though. I have a performer sitting about 5 feet behind me. It's going on once I get up the nerve to tackle that ~80LB stocker. It's only a 2bbl, which is why I'm willing to tackle it in the first place. Of course, I do plan to use an engine hoist to lift that monster off.......
The heads will also be pulled using a hoist, if they have to come off. I value my back.....
The "new" intake is sitting on the box holding the new headers. Thank god I don't have a wife. I doubt one of those would approve of having parts in the middle of the living room.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:17 PM
Sleepy445FE
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FossenRacing
I have thought of changing cam. But I've been running second for points all year and have a run on the leader. But can have a cam as long as it pulls 17 inches of vacuum and no more than 0.48 inch lift. But my truck is smoking the 460's, 454's, and 440's and I'm running the stock cam with .35 inch lift. They have tecked me in 4 times this year to see if I am cheating. Which I am not as I get more of a kick out of beating the cheaters by playin by the rules.
I hear ya. If you're competing then I'd leave it for now. I prefer to do things by the rules as well, but in many cases it seems like everyone else is bending the rules a bit and the judges let it slide.
On another note, .350 lift is short of a stock cam. Maybe you were just guesstimating? I wasn't completely sure of the stock specs myself but a search turned up this thread https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...cam-specs.html
check the link in post 7.
The .480 limit sucks. If it was just .005 more you would have a few more options and still be in the rules. As it stands, for future reference you could look at the
Crower #16238
Lunati # 06501
Compcams 252H
or you could call Ken at Oregon cams and have him custom grind one for you to just fit in the rules. If the other guys start to give you a run for, then I would say go the custom Oregon grind route and proceed to DOMINATE the class haha.

Way to represent the FE!

Old 07-18-2011, 05:55 PM
FossenRacing
Senior User
I hear ya. If you're competing then I'd leave it for now. I prefer to do things by the rules as well, but in many cases it seems like everyone else is bending the rules a bit and the judges let it slide.
On another note, .350 lift is short of a stock cam. Maybe you were just guesstimating? I wasn't completely sure of the stock specs myself but a search turned up this thread https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...cam-specs.html
The .480 limit sucks. If it was just .005 more you would have a few more options and still be in the rules. As it stands, for future reference you could look at the
Crower #16238
Lunati # 06501
Compcams 252H
or you could call Ken at Oregon cams and have him custom grind one for you to just fit in the rules. If the other guys start to give you a run for, then I would say go the custom Oregon grind route and proceed to DOMINATE the class haha.

Way to represent the FE!
Yah I am the only one in the club with a fe block.
When I first started racing the announcer( big chev fan) made fun of my truck with a mustang motor and a 2 inch lift, 3.55 and 31 inch tires. But after I smoked a 454 with a 6 inch lift, 4.11gears and 37 inch tires that were to wide I gained his respect. And he always brags my truck up now.
When I heard say " truck with mustang motor" I called the truck Nightmare.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:46 PM
Sleepy445FE
Posting Guru
A lot of Chevy guys don't even know what an FE is. lol At least he knew it was offered in mustangs. I guess a 428cj is just a little mustang motor too. The FE (SOHC 657hp) is the highest hp domestic engine ever offered, not to mention it's dominance at LeMans before the rule change limited cid. It should be talked about as a legend. We gets no respects, no respects I tells ya! lol

Reps for showing the crowd (and announcer) that the FE is still alive and winning!

Old 07-18-2011, 07:04 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
A 390 was plenty enough for McQueen in "Bullitt", and that's good enough for me.

The guys with 460's and 454's think displacement is all they need, but they never consider the racing heritage of the FE.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:20 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
One suggestion I will toss out for when it comes time to freshen up the lower end. Swap the 390 pistons for 360 pistons. Worth about a 1.5 bump in the CR.
The best part is, they're *technically* stock 390 pistons, from you guessed it, a mustang......
If they wanna call it a "mustang motor", why not make it more like a real mustang engine with a CR in the 9's.......
More static CR = higher pressure before combustion = higher pressure after combustion. Bigger "bang", more power. It all works to make more power, even with a stock or near stock cam.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:49 PM
FossenRacing
Senior User
Crower #16238
Lunati # 06501
Compcams 252H

Way to represent the FE!
The measurement was done by a safety/tech and pro mod racer so it was kinda a guess. He had a pro tool but had to use a magnet to mount.
If I go over by 0.005 I can live with it.
I also found a lunati 10503 cam. It's a 3000 to 6000 rpm cam. But what would it take off from the line with a stock tc and no stall.
And what would a custom grind cost?

Old 07-19-2011, 01:19 PM
Sleepy445FE
Posting Guru
The lunati 10503 is their version of the factory GT/CJ cam. A lot of people really like it that have mild street/strip cars. I'd say you'd need a tq converter to match your cams rpm range.
I'm not sure on exact pricing over at Oregon cams. Everybody always just says they're very reasonable and competitive. I know it was like 175 back in 2004. I haven't heard a complaint yet about them. The owner (Ken) is an FE guy too so he'll set you up right. I plan to use them on the next fe sitting in the garage.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:02 PM
FossenRacing
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff
One suggestion I will toss out for when it comes time to freshen up the lower end. Swap the 390 pistons for 360 pistons. Worth about a 1.5 bump in the CR.
The best part is, they're *technically* stock 390 pistons, from you guessed it, a mustang......
If they wanna call it a "mustang motor", why not make it more like a real mustang engine with a CR in the 9's.......
More static CR = higher pressure before combustion = higher pressure after combustion. Bigger "bang", more power. It all works to make more power, even with a stock or near stock cam.
My motor is a stock truck 4bbl so are they the same as car pistons. And there is a lot of confusion in that thread about what the actual comp height is.
Any of you actually used them and had them work

Quick Reply: Holley street dominator vs stock d5te 4bbr