1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power door locks

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 12:06 AM
klr2mato
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Power door locks

O.K. whats the deal? I have a 2000 F-250 SD super cab. When I try to lock or unlock the doors either with the remote or the switch on either door I can see and hear both locks try to move but they don't lock or unlock. There are no trouble codes in the computer. Whats wrong? I find it hard to believe that BOTH actuators have gone bad at the same time. At 80 bucks apiece I don't want to replace them if I don't have to. HELP!

Old 03-31-2003, 01:17 PM
NoMo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Power door locks

If you can see (and hear) both actuators attempting to work, then I doubt there are any problems with the controlling circuitry. I'd pull the door panels and see if they are in a bind- and give the mechanisms a good lubing.

Sadly, I have seen dual failures on equipment before... so it's not impossible regardless of how unlikely it may seem. If the inspection & lube doesn't resolve the issue, then I'm afraid the best suggestion is to buy ONE actuator and see if it fixes the problems. Since most electrical parts are non-returnable, just get one until you are sure that it solves the problem on both doors.

Old 04-01-2003, 08:40 PM
klr2mato
Freshman User
Power door locks

NoMo thanks for the input. I realize there is a possiblity they could both have gone gunny bag I guess I just don't want to admit it. I'll take you suggestion and buy one and install it to see what happens. I'll let ya know
Klr

Old 04-01-2003, 09:43 PM
02superstroker
Posting Guru
Power door locks

we had the same problem on a 2000 crew cab with 2 of the doors, one rear one front.. both passenger side. The dealer fixed it no problem, said it was the lock actuators... i feel your pain on how annoying that can be

Old 04-07-2003, 11:15 PM
klr2mato
Freshman User
Talking Power door locks

Well I just put in a new passanger side actuator and guess what? It works now. So, a dual failure. When I bought the actuator and I was told the price was 82 bucks I whined and asked if they could do any better and guess what? I got it for 62 dollars. I guess the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Thanks fellas for all the help. Now all I have to do is buy and install one more and figure out the problem with my new predator tuner and all will be well..
So until next time may no moss grow in your shorts!

Old 04-08-2003, 10:44 AM
NoMo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Power door locks

Sorry to hear it was the most expensive resolution, but at least you have a fix.

As for your Predator issues, have you posted any question down in the "chip" forum? Ken (webmaster) hangs out a lot and he's very knowledgeable.

Old 04-10-2003, 08:49 AM
maverique
New User
Smile Power door locks

Cool, this is encouraging. I have the <b><u>exact</u></b> same truck with the <b><u>exact</u></b> same problem i.e. both door locks "click" but don't always work. Thanks for the post and reply.

Old 04-10-2003, 11:02 AM
klr2mato
Freshman User
Power door locks

Maverique,
Thats great. I think this will work for you. The actuators are pretty easy to replace however they are hard to reach and it's difficult to see what your doing because the idot engineers at Ford neglected to put holes in convenient locations. Good luck.

Old 04-10-2003, 10:33 PM
maverique
New User
Power door locks

klr2mato,

Are the actuators strictly a dealer part, or are they available at the local auto parts facility as well? You mentioned that you bargained with them, I am curious if you were able to do this with the Service Dept of a dealer or if this was an independent shop.

Thanks,
maverique

Old 04-10-2003, 11:14 PM
haroutd
Posting Guru
Location: I'm lost somewhere in NJ -- can someone please find me?!?!?!?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Power door locks

Sounds like they dropped the price from retail to wholesale. All car dealers, Napa, etc. that sell parts both to the general public as well as mechanic shops have 2 price schedules. One for the average Joe, and the second (MUCH lower usually) for shops. I talked a Chrysler dealer service shop into giving me the wholsale price me once. I used to run parts for a Napa many, many years ago. I still go back there from time to time for parts because they give me the discount as a courtesy. Funny though... same group of losers still work the same dead-end jobs there.

Old 04-11-2003, 12:06 PM
longboard1969
New User
Question Power door locks

I've just purchased a 99 F250SD Reg Cab 4x4 V-10 and have the same issue. Neither actuator will completely lock or unlock the locks. Are there any tips or tricks needed for changing the actuators. I noticed that it was very difficult to get to them when I was lubing the system.

By the way, I bought them through an online oem Ford Parts place for $31 each plus shipping.

Thanks,
Ed

Old 04-11-2003, 01:01 PM
klr2mato
Freshman User
Power door locks

No nothing really special. The driver side is easier than the passenger side because there is a hole in the right place. You'll probably break the old ones getting them out. There is a latch system on them and it's easier to just break than to unlatch. It does'nt matter if the old ones are going in the trash. The new ones just snap in place and plug in. I bought mine one at a time and according to the parts department at Ford they have upgraded this part and lowered the price. the second one I bought was 37 dollars. Boy thats a switch. Whats the web address of that online store?
Good luck!
Maverique,
These are I believe strictly a dealer part. Yes this was at a Ford dealer. As has been mentioned in this thread parts vendors have more than one oricing schedule and will charge the highest price unless you challange them. You can usually get them to lower the price at least ten percent and sometimes even more with some effort. Someone else mentioned an online OEM parts store. I'd like to know what the name is.

Last edited by klr2mato; 04-11-2003 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-02-2003, 12:12 PM
maverique
New User
Thumbs up Power door locks

Just an FYI.. I purchased both actuators from my local Ford Dealership yesterday. I was quoted a price of $45 for each, but with the suggestions above and the crafty little question "Is that the best you can do on those?" He lowered the price to $38 Hey, a $14 question.. I can live with that. Thanks for all the advice, I'm going to get around to putting those on this weekend.

Mucho Thanks,
maverique

Old 05-02-2003, 12:40 PM
longboard1969
New User
Power door locks

Thanks to all who replied! I did successfully change both of mine a couple of Saturdays ago. I purchased them from fordpartsonline.com but I completed the deal over the phone and got a better price than the website.

In changing them, I wasn't comfortable with the amount of force needed to break the old ones out, so I unlatched them using a short (plus/minus 2 1/2" total length) flatblade screwdriver and a little patience. For those who haven't changed them, all you need to do after removing the door panel is unplug the one electric wire from the actuator, pop loose an attached wire that is mounted to the actuator, unlatch the actuator (as described above) and remove. The rest of the door hardware including the door latch assembly need not be touched. Reassembly is reverse of removal, but I did try to make sure that I aligned the actutor pin before snapping the new one all the way into place. With a flashlight and a little patience I was able to see to insert the new actuators on both doors. Being able to see at least one groove for insertion made the job much easier than working by touch, alone.

Thanks again to all! Hope this info is helpful.

Longboard1969

Ecstatic that my 9'6" surfboard fits diagonally in the bed of my truck! No more roof racks & straps for me!

Old 05-02-2003, 01:50 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Power door locks

To the next guy to change his;

Please take pictures so that I can put them in the FAQ!

Mahalo!

Quick Reply: Power door locks