1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

238,000 miles going back to commercial?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 09:30 AM
fbh31118
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking 238,000 miles going back to commercial?!?!

Like the title says; I'm considering going back to commercial driving with a pickup and had a few 'out loud' thoughts that I've been kicking around. I've found an opportunity that pays well and leaves the scheduling of home time up to me aka. family friendly.

The truck in question is the one in my garadge photo, it's a 2002 F350 with a 7.3, 4r100, 4x4 and nothing else real out of the ordinary. There is a laundry list of work that needs to be done to make this thing legal and just general up keep items like trans and diff fluid changes shocks and brakes. I don't want to delude my self here because I know it's an older truck. The plan is to just run a few campers and see how it goes, no giant wedge trailers full of cars and vans. I've done that before and it really works a truck over pretty good, that's why travel trailers and the like are a little bit better being designed to be hauled by pickups.

Just to add to the picture a little bit more, the truck has been used commercially before judging by the inspection sticker in the window. I see that some one has changed the alternator, water pump, and possibly the oil lines, lower ball joints and cps. At least judging by the looks of the parts. The motor starts and runs well with only a slight pewf of blue on start up. There also seems to be a little bit of leakage from the rear main seal but not very much. Unfortunately I don't know if the transmission has been rebuilt but if feels firm and the fluid appears normal, seems like it almost would have had to have been after the amount of miles on it.

My question is; What other items should I look at or inspect to make a more informed decision. Most of the other fellas that I drove with were getting between 1/2 and 3/4 of a million miles before they had to look at a serious rebuild but there again that was commercial service and being **** about service. Well, you can see the truck and have a little history what do you think, what would you be looking at? Sorry about the long post. Thanks in advance for all the input!!

Old 07-11-2011, 10:11 AM
lakedweller
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is just broken in... If it has been commercially before and rode hard I would take it in to a GOOD diesel mechanic and have it checked out. May just need fluids changed. If you plan on hauling for a long time you don't need to **** your employer off with breakdowns....

Old 07-11-2011, 10:23 AM
fbh31118
Senior User
Originally Posted by lakedweller
It is just broken in... If it has been commercially before and rode hard I would take it in to a GOOD diesel mechanic and have it checked out. May just need fluids changed. If you plan on hauling for a long time you don't need to **** your employer off with breakdowns....
Hey Somerset! I grew up right down the road in Jonesville, small world.

I agree with you %100 and had that on my list too. Does FTE have a thread started of reputable and not so reputable mechanics and dealers? If not and the mods see this thread I'm going to throw it out there as a suggestion.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:38 PM
scottiebe
Junior User

fbh....just sent you a pm

Old 07-28-2011, 12:13 PM
fbh31118
Senior User
Repairs and additions with pictures

Just a little update on whats happened so far. Changed the rear end fluid which was a strange redish black color and the rear end cover got a fresh coat of paint. Also, did a little shearchin' at the local junk yard and came up with a set of licence plate lights, the truck was missing both when I picked it up. Got the CB mounted and man does that look slick up overhead like that. With a new pig tail I got rid of that stupid ABS light on the dash, the old one rotted in two, also another $5 junk yard find. Not to mention the dealer wanted to sell me the whole harness just to get the VSS plug. I think not. Fog lights are operational although the passanger side needs to be replaced due to being broke out at the mount.

What do ya think so far. Too many pictures?

Old 07-28-2011, 12:18 PM
jc8825
Posting Guru
I like the overhead CB mount. What is behind he headliner right there to support the CB?

Old 07-28-2011, 01:19 PM
fbh31118
Senior User
Originally Posted by jc8825
I like the overhead CB mount. What is behind he headliner right there to support the CB?
I got the idea from one of our members here, sorry I can't remember there name to give them credit. That is right where the cross member goes through the cab. Some one here has a picture of what it looks like with the head liner out a few sheet metal screws and its done. Very trick looking when you get to looking at it.

I got the idea from F 350-6 on mounting the CB over head know that I go back and look.

Last edited by fbh31118; 07-29-2011 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Give credits to F 350-6
Old 07-28-2011, 02:44 PM
raidscsi
Senior User
Never too many pictures.

Can you get a detail shot of the antenna mount on the bed?

Old 07-28-2011, 04:25 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
I would look for the upgraded mirrors, they are a lot bigger and when towing, they are worth the effort.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:19 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
My 99 model has 271,000 on the clock and I REALLY use what you can see in my album. So far the engine is bulletproof, although I am not impressed with Ford quality overall. Seems that every week there is something to replace. Coolant tank, water pump, senors here, sensor there, heater core, differential gears.
I keep watching the 1 ton trucks pulling 30,000 goseneck commercially. Just this week spotted 4 of them pulled by Dodges and 2 by Fords. One of them was on the shoulder with hood up.
My F450 doesn't have much competition and the way I converted it - it can do things no other truck can, but would I be on 1 ton market, I would strongly scratch my head.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:23 PM
fbh31118
Senior User
Originally Posted by raidscsi
Never too many pictures.

Can do. Brought the knock out kit home from work this evening and plan on installing it in the AM.

Originally Posted by Kajtek1
My 99 model has 271,000 on the clock and I REALLY use what you can see in my album. So far the engine is bulletproof, although I am not impressed with Ford quality overall. Seems that every week there is something to replace. Coolant tank, water pump, senors here, sensor there, heater core, differential gears.
I keep watching the 1 ton trucks pulling 30,000 goseneck commercially. Just this week spotted 4 of them pulled by Dodges and 2 by Fords. One of them was on the shoulder with hood up.
My F450 doesn't have much competition and the way I converted it - it can do things no other truck can, but would I be on 1 ton market, I would strongly scratch my head.
I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a huge Ford fan, however, I am a huge fan of any thing IH or Navistar, so an older F-350 was not a big problem for me. I've worked in the auto industry for years so it's easy for me to criticize most vehicles I look at and particularly my favorite brands, it why I don't change vehicles very much. Just too darn picky. Once I get the bugs and engineering flaws figured out and fixed, I don't want to go on and loose all my work with getting into a new vehicle.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:04 AM
fbh31118
Senior User
Never too many pictures.

Done

Old 07-29-2011, 12:20 PM
raidscsi
Senior User
Do you have a link to the wilson stud that you used?

Thats exactly where I want to put my antenna, but the metal there seems a little thin. Do you have a problem with the antenna flexing and hitting the cab?

Old 07-29-2011, 01:24 PM
fbh31118
Senior User
Do you have a link to the wilson stud that you used?

Thats exactly where I want to put my antenna, but the metal there seems a little thin. Do you have a problem with the antenna flexing and hitting the cab?
That's just a mount that I picked up at a truck stop awhile ago. I've mounted attenna's there in the past on several other trucks without a problem.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:29 PM
fbh31118
Senior User
Well, I can check coolant change off the list of to-do items. System flushed and full of 4 gallons of Fleet Charge concentrate and the rest in distilled water....Purple coolant now. Man did that green stuff have a lot of crap in it, glad I got it changed.

Quick Reply: 238,000 miles going back to commercial?!?!