1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Gear reduction starter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 10:38 PM
51phil
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gear reduction starter?

This has probably has been asked before but here goes. What are the advantages of putting a gear reduction starter on my 8BA flathead that is .40 over, isky 3/4 race cam, fenton 2x2 intake, fenton headers, lightened flywheel, and electonic ignition. I am currently still using my orginal 6 volt starter (everything else has been converted to 12 volt) but I cant stand the noise it makes when I hit the starter button. Should I go with a gear reduction starter from Speedway or just put a converted 12 volt starter in?

Old 07-11-2011, 01:11 PM
lorolr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We used gear reduction starters on the race car for weight and cranking power against the 12:1 compression. You should be able to run a stock 12V starter that has the extra benefit of a remote solenoid which stays cooler. The noise thing must be personal unless the ring gear teeth or bendix unit is excessively worn. Flatheads just sound unique when starting due to the bendix drive. Is the noise worth 150.00 to change?

Old 07-11-2011, 01:51 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
Originally Posted by lorolr
... Flatheads just sound unique when starting due to the bendix drive. Is the noise worth 150.00 to change?
They also have a unique sound when the Bendix hangs up on the back side of the ring gear -- the sound of silence!

I have one on my mostly stock flattie, and LOVE it! It goes into the ring gear from the front, never any hang-up concerns, and the teeth are virgin on that side. It greatly reduces the current while starting, that is the biggest advantage. Flatheads are usually very easy to start and are more so with these. I thought it made more sense to put $150 into a modern starter than to put that much into a rebuild and a string of new drives.

Mine is not the Speedway one, it is very similar tho.