Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Disgrace to Ford F150 designers and Engineers

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 08:10 PM
jimmyb08SD
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
All 4 of the new motors have the oil filter mounted in the same place, the EB has a plastic funnel tray below it which funnels the oil out the front. Works pretty good as long as you drain the filter slowly. Do not just turn it right off or it will over flow the funnel and make a mess. Just open slowly and let it sit and drain for a few min, then remove and wipe out tray. Only fill new filter about 1/2 full so you can put it on without spilling. Guess how I learned it will over flow!

Old 07-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Bronzeage
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think your blaming the wrong common sense, more likely common cents was the cause. Im sure there is a hard drive filled with a dozen wonderful designs that some twelve year old drew up inbetween soda pop high call of duty sessions that would have eaten profit like a modern day pacman.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:05 PM
brucebowker
Freshman User
Gotta keep those investors happy even if the vehicles aren't designed the best way. Investors over design. Profit over happier owners.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:22 AM
soundwave
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agrreee 100% on the door positioning. I thought it was just me but it sure is a pain to get in and out of the cab when Ive got a coffee cup in my hand if Im paked next to someone.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:41 AM
snowdog79
Laughing Gas
The oil filter location and access really bug me on my '07 5.4, too. What really pisses me off is that on my '00 7700 5.4, Ford remotely mounted the oil filter, and it was a snap to change. Now they've saved maybe $5 in cost by not doing that, and I have a filter that is a pain to get at and spills oils every time it gets changed. I'd gladly pay $100 more not to have to deal with this idiotic design.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:03 AM
ebexp94
Senior User
If you guys are really concerned about the oil filter location, check out this thread. snowdog's post reminded me of it.

It's for a 5.4 I believe, but I'm sure it will work for you guys. It looks like his mounting position may not work for the EB owners, but I'm sure you can find another location.

Budget by-pass oil filter system - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Old 07-12-2011, 11:27 AM
Joe Finn
Elder User
It's not just the engineers, marketing needs to understand who their truck customers are. A pretty high percentage of guys buying an F150 are going to spend some time under the hood, even if it's just to check their own oil. Unlike the Crown Vic customer who probably can't release the hood without looking in the manual. Some might argue that these little inconveniences didn't keep any of us from buying an F150, fair enough. However, making some of these simple changes (vertical oil filter, longer dipstick, even number of qts of oil) might sway a Dodge or Chevy guy to buy a Ford, because I'm sure those "truck guys" like to do their own work too.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:07 PM
OldGrayMare
Senior User
I agree the newer taller trucks sides are to tall. I believe they did it just to make them look different, not better, just different for a new model change. I like being able to reach over the side of my truck to get something out of the bed. That's also why I kept my 2001 F150, I like it better.

I agree common sense is no longer common. The worst part is our generation is excepting it (maybe even causing it).

I agree the younger generation (and I say this as a generality) has no or little pride. The exceptions seems to be the ones who have some military back ground. The rest come to work late everyday, do not put in a full days work, complain all the time, and just don't care about the products they produce. They would rather find another job flipping burgers than to try harder. If you find a good one do what you can to hang on to them.

I agree, as I get older, I complain more.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:31 PM
DFord79
Senior User
Originally Posted by WV-150
The Ford trucks are just too big and only 55% American made.No grab handle on drivers side to help pull myself up.Bed too deep.Too wide to get in my garage without folding mirrors in.Need a stool to check oil.Transmision problem causing truck to lunge forward at stop lights sometimes.Talk about sudden exceleration,you best hold the brake tight at a stop light.A huge oversize truck my wife would not drive.I loved the 5.0 but growed to dislike the truck size after a coup[le of months.After 4 months I was offered $3000 less than I paid for it so I sold it and bought a mid size Tacoma{%70 American made} which is almost the size a F150 used to be.A much better fit for me.The Ranger is too small.I have had many Ford and Toyota trucks and the quality is not much different anymore.The F150s and Tundras are just a big beast anymore.I hope the new cafe guidlines forces the half tons to go back to the size they were in the 80s and 90s or Ford decides to build a mid size truck.Not everyone likes the size of these trucks.
I bought my 2011 F-150 XLT June 21st. The first thing I commented about to the salesman even before I took the truck for a drive was....THE DIPSTICK MUST OF BEEN PUT THERE BY WILT CHAMBERLIN...(I AM OLD).

Interesting, You say the trucks too big....hell its not big enough for me. Except I can't reach the dip stick and I am 6'3". I find my garage fits the truck with room to spare. My phylosphy is bigger is better when it comes to tucks. As for being american made don't put too much into that anymore....NOTHING is 100% American....NOTHING is 100% anything anymore. Its a brave new world....get used to it. A chevy ONE TON truck is 61% American a Ford Super duty is 60% American.....A HONDA ACCORD IS 81% AMERICAN....SEEEE WHAT I MEAN.

I love my 5.0 engine...and DAMN PUT A FULL LOAD OF PREMIUM IN IT....AND IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE IN POWER....VERY NOTICABLE...just another thing I love. Aggresive stop light take offs require taction contoll ON of smoke ensures.....even at half throttle.....DID I SAY I LOVE THE 5.0. I drove the ECO BOOST.....It felt a bit more powerfull....but not much...of course in higher elevations it will be. just a few thoughts about a few things in this forum....BIGGER IS BETTER.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:00 PM
Justjimmy
Senior User
Originally Posted by OldGrayMare
I agree, as I get older, I complain more.
lol +1

Old 07-12-2011, 03:17 PM
BURNSTOUGHFORD
Posting Guru
Cant make everyone happy.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:29 PM
dddenio
Senior User
I've really enjoyed this thread, but it just may be too much common sense for one thread, heh, heh.

These conversations sound nearly identical to what my Dad and Grandfather used to say. Must be my turn.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:55 PM
bartamos
Junior User
When I started this thread I thought about that (sounding like my Dad). Two things about that: No 1: I try to say things that are actually true and factual about the design features and not old fuddy duddy stuff. No. 2: I should have paid more respect to what my Dad was saying, but when your young you blow off your parents comments as old people jibberish, Which I guess is probably being done to me now. Oh well in a few years I won't know a dip stick from a stick shift.
About the EB: I got fooled on my 1984 F150 4X4. Drove the 302 V8, then the 300 6cyl around the streets. Thought to myself, same cubes, better torque, acceleration and gas milage. So I bought a 6. Nice engine, no power up the hills and/or passing. There was no way I was going to do that again with an EB. If I'm wrong about that and they are powerfull, great for Ford and those who got an EB. I made my decision before I saw that commercial, WOW!.
Also High sides are a pain but they look neat. Pitty you can NOT get the flip out step with a F150 Crew 4X4 XLT. Bed too short I guess. You know what? I can use the same stool that I use for checking the oil! AWESOME! I did find this in the Ford advertising: " WARNING: If you are a women or your head does not hit the garage door opener, you can't check your own oil without an available Ford Motor Company stool".

Old 07-12-2011, 06:36 PM
bartamos
Junior User
I'm not done yet

One more thing boys. I know about design, engineering and cost savings. I don't adhere to the notion about Ford doing things to save money. That has grown to be a cliche. They find better and less costly ways of doing things in production, in the materials they use and functionality. They are mandated to reduce emissions, salt rot and improve safety and mileage. They have to make money for share holders like some of us in this forum probably are. They didn't use a %100 Aluminum hood on my 97 F150 to save money on the build. Look at the commercial where, with a randomly selected EB, they haul a log, pull a trailer around a NASCAR track for days, enter a friggin road race, run it on a dyno as so on. 1.6 million mile equivalent? I think? No scrimpping on that engine. The results are something they should be proud of and why we love Ford trucks. The styling and comfort, capless gas inlet, grill raising up with the hood (like Dodge), full axle lock 4X4, light weight tailgate with assist, A/c vents that look as good closed as open, sync to your cell phone, lane change blinker, won't turn over the starter if running and many more little things provided while taking some cost saving measures to keep prices affordable, not keeping more profit. These items I list have probably been around awhile, I just am aware because I just bought a new one after 14 years with my new 97, NO PROBLEMS WITH IT.
I just could not stand the oil access/oil change being overlooked. The fixes for the dip stick, filter and 7.7 qts capacity would not cost a penny. I do know in my own experience that some things are afterthoughts when most of the design is done and you didn't pay attention to some obvious things. "We will fix those on the next version". But my business was aerospace/aircraft related. Everything was always new and different. Checking oil and draining oil and using whole quarts ain't nothing new. But I will always stick with the only Company who did not need the Government to bail them out of debt. Amen.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:53 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Excellent posts and very good insight sir.

Quick Reply: Disgrace to Ford F150 designers and Engineers