6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

dealer wants $2200.00 to replace particulate filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 08:43 AM
Ronin 5729
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ETKMS
While we are on this spartan and towing conversation, I put the spartan and DPF/Cat delete on my truck, I was VERY scared to, because of warranty issues. But I keep mine on the 210HP tune all the time, i see just over a 2mpg increase in MPG, and i tow sometimes 25k lbs or my usual 7k car hauler. I have had no issues. I do notice when towing with the Spartan, at highway speeds there seems to be a little bit of a whistle sound the entire time, other then this, i love the kit, i am always just worried it is not good for the truck? but so far it has served me well.
If you're "VERY scared" and "always just worried it is not good for the truck" then uninstall it and run stock; modding is not for the faint of heart no matter how mild the tune. There are 100s of 1000s if not millions of miles logged by Spartan users that have been trouble free, but the second something goes wrong people forget the waiver they sign and try to throw Spartan (or whoever their tuner is) off the bus and otherwise abdicate their personal responsibility for violating their warranty to begin with. Mick doesn't put a gun to anyone's head to get them to install his stuff!

Don't get me started on people who "return to stock" after they have a catastrophic malfunction from beating the ever lovin' crap outta their tuned truck and expect Ford (and in turn, their customers, you know, US!) to pay for it. The bottom line is, and always has been, if you want to play expect to pay; you can't have it both ways.

If you do leave the Dark Side remember, you owe us a cookie!

Old 07-11-2011, 03:36 PM
ETKMS
Elder User
Originally Posted by Ronin 5729
If you're "VERY scared" and "always just worried it is not good for the truck" then uninstall it and run stock; modding is not for the faint of heart no matter how mild the tune. There are 100s of 1000s if not millions of miles logged by Spartan users that have been trouble free, but the second something goes wrong people forget the waiver they sign and try to throw Spartan (or whoever their tuner is) off the bus and otherwise abdicate their personal responsibility for violating their warranty to begin with. Mick doesn't put a gun to anyone's head to get them to install his stuff!

Don't get me started on people who "return to stock" after they have a catastrophic malfunction from beating the ever lovin' crap outta their tuned truck and expect Ford (and in turn, their customers, you know, US!) to pay for it. The bottom line is, and always has been, if you want to play expect to pay; you can't have it both ways.

If you do leave the Dark Side remember, you owe us a cookie!
Nah, your taking my post a bit to serious. I LOVE the Spartan kit, and have absolutely no plans to go back to stock. Everything i drive is modified, i own a company and modify cars for a living... What i meant was, you get so much from the tune, more power, better MPGs and i feel like its almost to good to be true to not be cuasing any harm or pre-mature damage or stress to anything. Especually when i am towing a 25k lbs trailer! that is some serious weight, i just hope i am not pushing anything past what it should be...

Old 07-11-2011, 03:52 PM
Ronin 5729
Senior User
Originally Posted by ETKMS
Nah, your taking my post a bit to serious. I LOVE the Spartan kit, and have absolutely no plans to go back to stock. Everything i drive is modified, i own a company and modify cars for a living... What i meant was, you get so much from the tune, more power, better MPGs and i feel like its almost to good to be true to not be causing any harm or pre-mature damage or stress to anything. Especially when i am towing a 25k lbs trailer! that is some serious weight, i just hope i am not pushing anything past what it should be...
I completely understand the "too good to be true" feeling that one experiences with a tuned 6.4! The truck is just infinitely more "happy" without that monstrosity of a DPF in place and is just much more capable of breathing heavily and deeply with it removed, just add some more fuel and boost and you go from the kiddy pool to Michael Phelps @ the Olympics in record time!

Blackstone oil analysis reports will give you significant piece of mind when it comes to determining exactly what's happening to your engine, it's just with the tremendous costs associated with these trucks to begin with (remember a King's Ranch F450 is pushing $70K!) that effectively throwing the powertrain warranty in the toilet is too much for some to take, and quite understandably so!

Keep an eye on your DashDaq and set up your gauges and alarms accordingly and you'll be good to go!

Old 07-11-2011, 04:20 PM
ETKMS
Elder User
I completely understand the "too good to be true" feeling that one experiences with a tuned 6.4! The truck is just infinitely more "happy" without that monstrosity of a DPF in place and is just much more capable of breathing heavily and deeply with it removed, just add some more fuel and boost and you go from the kiddy pool to Michael Phelps @ the Olympics in record time!

Blackstone oil analysis reports will give you significant piece of mind when it comes to determining exactly what's happening to your engine, it's just with the tremendous costs associated with these trucks to begin with (remember a King's Ranch F450 is pushing $70K!) that effectively throwing the powertrain warranty in the toilet is too much for some to take, and quite understandably so!

Keep an eye on your DashDaq and set up your gauges and alarms accordingly and you'll be good to go!
Well, I keep mine on 210 tune, so it should have all the warnings built in that tune?

Old 07-11-2011, 05:53 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I forget, what was your trailer weight again? I'd agree with fluid that new and no sign of foul play on the tranny dipstick there's no need to drop the pan...no codes either? Any puking around the cap/bottle area (white residue?). Hmmm...
trailer is 7000lbs loaded.. no puking, no codes, other than the egr not opening on the 250 tune.. known problem with the tune

Sam

Old 07-11-2011, 06:20 PM
Ronin 5729
Senior User
Originally Posted by sdetweil
trailer is 7000lbs loaded.. no puking, no codes, other than the egr not opening on the 250 tune.. known problem with the tune

Sam
Wow Sam, that's pretty light, relatively speaking, I doubt my 24-foot H&H car carrier with 4-bikes would weigh that much (that's what I'm taking on my 3K mile monster tow trip here shortly)...

I can't recall if the 210HP Tow cycles the EGR or not, but I'm not a fan of blocking off the EGR (with plates specifically) and given that you could get the boost up there (and consequently backpressure) having the EGR cycling while towing could definitely help...

Did you mean "NO known problem with the tune"? I was a little confused by that...

No puking is good news though...nice!

Old 07-11-2011, 06:55 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Wow Sam, that's pretty light, relatively speaking, I doubt my 24-foot H&H car carrier with 4-bikes would weigh that much (that's what I'm taking on my 3K mile monster tow trip here shortly)...

I can't recall if the 210HP Tow cycles the EGR or not, but I'm not a fan of blocking off the EGR (with plates specifically) and given that you could get the boost up there (and consequently backpressure) having the EGR cycling while towing could definitely help...

Did you mean "NO known problem with the tune"? I was a little confused by that...

No puking is good news though...nice!
the V2 250 tune has a problem cycling the EGR valve
V2 EGR Valve Issues - Spartan Diesel Tech Support Forums

Spartan says that best mileage will be with the 250 or 275..
on the 210 tow I was at .8mpg improvement, 250 I was at 1.5mpg,
275 I was uncomfortable.

I ONLY want it for towing, as I don't use the truck for anything else.

remember this is a dually, 4.10 rear.

sam

Old 07-11-2011, 07:13 PM
Ronin 5729
Senior User
Originally Posted by sdetweil
the V2 250 tune has a problem cycling the EGR valve
V2 EGR Valve Issues - Spartan Diesel Tech Support Forums

Spartan says that best mileage will be with the 250 or 275..
on the 210 tow I was at .8mpg improvement, 250 I was at 1.5mpg,
275 I was uncomfortable.

I ONLY want it for towing, as I don't use the truck for anything else.

remember this is a dually, 4.10 rear.

sam
Good to know...I didn't go through the 9 pages of posts but in your situation I'd reach out to Mick/Spartan and see if there's a fix/update. EGR-"goofiness" could definitely be causing your issue and I'd try that before throwing the baby out with the bathwater!

Old 07-11-2011, 07:50 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Good to know...I didn't go through the 9 pages of posts but in your situation I'd reach out to Mick/Spartan and see if there's a fix/update. EGR-"goofiness" could definitely be causing your issue and I'd try that before throwing the baby out with the bathwater!
no fix yet.. no estimated date for fix yet, we are all waiting

and I have removed the system and will tow stock to chicago and back starting next week.

Sam

Old 07-11-2011, 08:05 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
part price threw the back half of the shop is around 1800.00

longview1
Fleet Mechanic
Yes the 250 is buggered, I tried it a few weeks ago and got CEL..Ive always been on 210hp tune..love it, great shifts, spool etc..not huge mpg gain but better. I finally gave the 275 another try and after a few hundred miles the shifting smoothed out significantly!! Now its def tolerable in town driving. Plus the mpg is a bit better than the 210.

cheezit
Post Fiend

2 hours diag and 1 to install

Old 07-11-2011, 08:06 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

2 hours diag and 1 to install

Old 07-11-2011, 08:08 PM
ETKMS
Elder User
How do you know if the EGR valve is cycling or not?

Old 07-11-2011, 08:09 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

by active commanding egrvp# and moniter egrvp and egrv

Quick Reply: dealer wants $2200.00 to replace particulate filter