Sponsored by: DP Tuner

rusty oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 01:40 PM
renoduckman
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
rusty oil pan

I should have caught this sooner but i have a pretty rusty oil pan. I thought it was just one spot but the rust is actually under the paint also! I realize this is a disaster in the makeing. I was thinking of sanding lightly and painting with a sealent of some type? help joe

Old 07-07-2011, 01:57 PM
F-250 Super Duty
Laughing Gas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am currently fighting the same battle. The route of attack I'm taking is knock off the lose stuff, wire brush then some POR 15. The problem being, to replace it requires an engine pull. Some guys will will also say to use Rust Bullet too.

I'm hoping the POR 15 buys me enough time to save up for injectors so I can make one big mod weekend when I pull it.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:25 PM
renoduckman
Tuned
oil pan

I have heard of rust bullit, but not the other product. My oil pan seemed to be rusted all over, not just one spot. And the dipstick tube is looking bad also. Not where the whole is in the pan, but going up the tube. Dont know if that can be changed or does the whole pan have to come off for that also? Thanks Joe

Old 07-07-2011, 04:28 PM
F-250 Super Duty
Laughing Gas

I believe if you do a search there is a thread about doing it the the pan still in place.
Might be listed under dip stick o-ring or something like that...

Old 07-07-2011, 04:31 PM
F-250 Super Duty
Laughing Gas

Old 07-07-2011, 07:54 PM
trike1946
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the same problem with the pan. I have the por 15 to try. There is a way to fix a hole without pulling the engine. I can't remember if I saw it here or on TV.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:14 PM
damicofuel
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have fixed small holes with JB Weld. I think I cought mine early enough and scraped and treated with por 15. seems to be doing a good job.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:00 PM
indyF-350psd
you can't fix stupid!
this is one of those jobs you try to prevent as much as possible but in the end yanking the engine and replacing the pan is the only way to go. this was my idea of a remedy to the crappy pan.....

a line-x'd oil pan. plus it looks good.......

Old 07-07-2011, 10:52 PM
renoduckman
Tuned
pan

Looks nice. Kind of stupid that the engine has to come out of the truck for that to be replaced.
As of now mine is not leaking. But it looks bad. I started to sand of the paint and rust. A few spots look bad and im not going to sand them anymore. My plan is to try the rust bullet and see if that will stop it from rusting thru. By me more time. I have been hit with medical issues too and now is not a good time for a very expensive repair. I have checked with a local diesel shop that has done a couple of small jobs for me and i was happy with. It wont be cheap but im going to be needing a clutch. I can have that all done at the same time and maybe change the up pipes when the engine is out. I dont drive my truck all that much now a days so maybe i can get more time out of it?
One thing i dont know is how thick the oil pan is? And where are the thin spots if any? And last question do you think the rust bullet is the best thing to try to stop the rust, since it is not leaking yet? Joe

Old 07-07-2011, 11:21 PM
autoxtech
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
just to help others out there. I had same problem a week after buying the truck . i ended up cutting out new metal and shaping it around the pan and cleaned off all the rust , then used plimbers dope to stop the dripping while i applied jb weld to the pan and the new steel patch. then painted over with undercoating . so far so good.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:33 AM
walt501
Junior User
I'm in Minnesota and my pan was rusting badly. Sanded it down and used POR-15. That was three years ago and it still looks good, but I'll probably give it a touch-up this fall. One tip - buy the POR-15 in small cans. That way once you open a can you can use it all up, or if you do try and seal it back up and it dries out you won't lose much. I purchase a 6-pak of small cans off Ebay and chase corrosion somewhere on my truck each fall.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:57 AM
slim613
Elder User
ok i have a idea about wat yall r talking about (sorry) but were exacley is the common spot for this? i just got the truck about a month a go oil still looking good but im gonna change it this weekend so is it inside the pan out just the out, and why exacley r yall having to pull the motor?

Old 07-08-2011, 04:35 AM
trike1946
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only rust I know of is on the outside. The pan can rust anywhere. So check it over good while you are under there. Remember to protect your eyes when you are scraping. You can't get the pan off without pulling the engine out.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:26 AM
ccarrier
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
use rust bullet, make sure you use 2 coats. (per instructions) evenly coat it and youll never have a problem.

you could line x over top of the rust bullet, good idea indyf-350psd!

Old 07-08-2011, 09:31 AM
walt501
Junior User
Originally Posted by slim613
ok i have a idea about wat yall r talking about (sorry) but were exacley is the common spot for this? i just got the truck about a month a go oil still looking good but im gonna change it this weekend so is it inside the pan out just the out, and why exacley r yall having to pull the motor?
Assuming you're sliding under the truck from the front, you would want to pay particular attention to the back side of the pan furthest from you. I didn't think mine was all that bad until I slid far enough back to get a good look at the back side of the pan. But if you're doing the job, you're going to want to clean it up with sandpaper and protect as much of the pan as you can get to.

Quick Reply: rusty oil pan