new to site

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 09:28 PM
BossFan
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new to site

Hello-
Just discovered this site. I just bought a 1978 F250 4x4 and am sure I will be a frequent visitor. According to the VIN decoder, this truck was an original I6 300 CID truck, but now has a 351W. It's also a 4-speed. I pick it up on Friday and will post some shots.

Thanks
Frank

Old 07-05-2011, 10:03 PM
ford1977owner
Posting Guru
NICE! cant wait to see the pictures!!

Old 07-05-2011, 10:12 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Welcome to FTE and welcome to the Dentside Brethren.

351W eh? You might as well know now that Bumpsides (67-72) and Dentsides (73-79) were never offered with a 351W. If your plan is to install headers, the closest you'll get is a 302 application or Windsor shorties. The former in long tube would need to be modified for the increased one-inch taller deck height and the corresponding flare / splay in width.

Post up your rigs' specs and I recommend you include it in your signature so we can respond and respond faster to what ever questions you may have. Again, welcome.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:33 PM
BossFan
Elder User
Thanks for the welcome. This is my first Ford so I have lots of newbie questions. I can manage most mechanical work myself. I restore GTOs as a hobby, but this is my first time having either a Ford or a truck to mess around with, so I have a ton of questions:
The VIN is F28BEBE288830 (the doors on this truck were replaced and the VIN plate was obviously taken off and put on new door as the VIN rivets are nothing like stock).

The engine is a 351W and has a code E4AE 6015 PA-5. Like I said, this is my first Ford, but I think that equates to a 1984 engine. Not sure what it came out of. It has a Holley 4-bbl on it, again, not sure if that’s original. The vacuum hoses are a mess. It looks like all the lines off of the EGR were just plugged up with bolts. Is there a vacuum routing diagram for this engine, and would it be of any help since the engine is 6 years newer than the truck?

It looks like there is a missing power steering bracket (there is something homemade there but the belts don’t line up). Is that bracket available?

The wire for the temperature gauge was all corroded at the end where it connects to the sending unit (the rubber boot is there, but the connection inside crumbled away). Is this connector available so I can just splice it in?

The radiator looks like it is in good condition, but it has the fittings for an automatic, so it is probably not original.

The front brake lines were replaced (still have NAPA tags on them) but they were bent very sloppily. Does anyone make a pre-formed kit for trucks? I’m used to restoring GTOs and most everything is available for them. J

It has headers on it, with dual exhaust and glasspacks. Are the stock exhaust manifolds available, and if so, do I get them for a 1984 351W? How will I know if they will fit in a 1978 F250 truck?

The engine leaks oil and there is a pool on top of the timing chain cover. I think it is actually coming out of the timing chain cover as that gasket sort of crumbles in my hand.

It has a PCV valve in the pass. Side valve cover, and a breather in the driver side one. Is that correct? The air cleaner is barren, with no clips in it, but multiple holes and vacuum fittings. The flap in the snorkel has been removed.

The seat is firm, but has a rip in it. Who makes seat covers for these?

Appreciate any recommendation or insight into getting her running clean. I’m not trying to build a show truck, but I want the engine compartment to look decent without plugged up vacuum lines and oil leaks. Any recommendation for online parts resources would b much appreciated.

As soon as I figure out how, I will post pictures I took today.

Frank

Old 07-09-2011, 01:35 PM
BossFan
Elder User
Looks like I need 25 posts before I can post pictures, so I will just keep asking questions.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:37 PM
BossFan
Elder User
Is there a good manual that includes wiring, engine diagrams for this truck? Again, I realize it has the wrong engine in it, but it might be a good start.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:38 PM
BossFan
Elder User
If i run down to the parts store to pick up plugs, thermostat, PCV, fuel filter, oil filter, will knowing that it is a 1984 351W be enough, or will I need to know what car it came out of?

Old 07-09-2011, 01:53 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Looks like you need to do some homework. I suggest getting catalogs from LMC Truck, National Parts Depot, Dennis Carpenter Reproductions, Blue Oval Truck Parts, and Mac's. Google will be your friend.

In response to some of the questions above:

If your rig is exempt from emissions, delete as many vacuum lines as possible.
Salvage yard for a bracket.
Salvage yard for a connector or whatever works since this isn't a resto.
Check with Inline Tube or Classic tube for hardlines and brake hoses.
351Ws didn't change much over the years. You can play it safe and look for 80s era manifolds... Plenty of those in the yards. Otherwise, keep the headers since they are worth HP.
Check the catalogs above for seat covers.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:29 PM
BossFan
Elder User
Thanks! I ordered catalogs from each of those. Since I don't have to worry about emissions, would it be worthwhile to pick up an older intake for the 351W? Something like an Edelbrock Performer? I'm not necessarily worried so much about performance, but it might eliminate some of the unsightly plugged vaccuum hoses and stuff and clean up the top of the engine.