Sponsored by: Moser

Replace driver door handle with No Key Handle

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 11:26 PM
masonk
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replace driver door handle with No Key Handle

I had my '09 F-150 Super Crew lock punched out on driver side door. To prevent this from happening again, I am replacing that handle with a handle for the rear door that has NO lock. I will no longer have key access to the truck. I am also ordering a spare remote. Is there anything I should consider before following through with this decision? Any reason why I shouldn't do this? Is this a common thing to do?

Old 06-26-2011, 12:55 AM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What happens when the battery dies?

Old 06-26-2011, 05:28 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tvsjr
What happens when one of the batteries (remote or truck) die?
Great question (I clarified it a little).

Rather than replace the handle, how 'bout installing these?

Jimmi Jammer Passive Truck, Car and SUV Security

Old 06-26-2011, 08:01 AM
Buck 1
Posting Guru

Add a keypad.........

Old 06-26-2011, 01:21 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
A keypad doesn't buy you much if the truck battery is dead - no juice for the power locks.

By the way, the correct answer is "an adapter to power the truck through the trailer connector". I know a guy who has built and tested this - he's had his Super Duty punched more than once so he removed all of the key locks.

However, you want to have this adapter built and tested *before* you need it.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:39 PM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Now that's a great idea.

Question is, where do you store it? (LOL at in the truck...)

Old 06-26-2011, 09:38 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Toolbox, if you have one...

Old 06-27-2011, 04:27 PM
masonk
New User
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. Yes, I considered the loss of power issue however calling my locksmith to get in my truck is a whole lot cheaper than replacing the door handle AND lock every time someone punches it. The Jimmy Jammer is a good idea, however I do not keep valuable inside the truck. My intent is to prevent anyone from damaging and attempting to punch the lock. My guess is even if I had a jimmy jammer my handle and lock would still be damaged.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:20 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Even if you removed the lock, the *********s would probably still attempt to pry up the handle to gain access.

Locks are meant to keep honest people honest (and that's about all they do). If low lifes want in, they'll find away (bust the glass).

Old 06-28-2011, 07:46 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by shotgunz
Even if you removed the lock, the *********s would probably still attempt to pry up the handle to gain access.

Locks are meant to keep honest people honest (and that'sabout all they do). If low lifes want in, they'll find away (bust the glass).
Very well said.

"Keeping the honest, honest" was a saying that my Grandfather used often. If they want in they have multiple points of entry...like that sliding glass window.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:42 PM
Hydrilla Gear
New User
I had my key hole punched in as well on my 08 F150. I removed the rod that connects to the locking mechinism.. It was about 3" long and just popped in place. Tossed it in the glove box and never looked back. I used my key fob and doorless key pad the rest of the time with no battery issues...

I have a 2003 Ford Excursion with a keyless pad and have still not lost battery power to it... My vote is to remove that little arm and continue on...

I Know for a fact that same F150 was hit again a few weeks later... They never got in...

Old 06-28-2011, 08:08 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
If they want in they'll get in. You might want to consider that eventually your power door lock actuators will fail. Then you'll have to break in. Just a thought.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:39 AM
Hydrilla Gear
New User
Originally Posted by Greg B
If they want in they'll get in. You might want to consider that eventually your power door lock actuators will fail. Then you'll have to break in. Just a thought.
Yes if they want to get in then they will however I feel that if they are running around a parking lot and my truck gives them a little hastle then they will move on and it obviously has worked... Not to say NEVER but I have yet to have a power door lock actuator fail in god knows how many vehicals I have owned.. If it does I will make a call.. Mean time I know someone cannot punch my lock and if they want to get in then they will have to try harder which usually means more time and in turn will make them turn to the next truck.. JMO..

Old 06-29-2011, 01:47 PM
NotMyHusbandsF150
Senior User
Originally Posted by masonk
I had my '09 F-150 Super Crew lock punched out on driver side door. To prevent this from happening again, I am replacing that handle with a handle for the rear door that has NO lock. I will no longer have key access to the truck. I am also ordering a spare remote. Is there anything I should consider before following through with this decision? Any reason why I shouldn't do this? Is this a common thing to do?
I'm sorry - I come from the sticks. Nobody locks anything. What does this mean? Do they punch in the entire locking mechanism or the actual hole where the key went? Anyone have a picture? I'm just curious.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:26 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
I have had to replace the actuators on several of my Fords over the years. A month ago several of our family were in Chicago at one of the hospitals and 3 of the cars were broken into. They didn't bother with the locks. They just broke a window and found what they wanted. Mostly GPS and cell phone chargers and the like. That's one of the reasons I don't use any accessory that sticks to the windshield.

Quick Reply: Replace driver door handle with No Key Handle