New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome, thanks!!!!!!!

Old 07-31-2011, 12:05 AM
offroad_x
Junior User
Originally Posted by jay28660
If you dont mind me asking...What did the steering box from redhead run you?
I think I paid about $326 for the box, plus shipping and then core charge. All together it was $550, and then they credited me $175 for the core. I took it to my mechanic, and he charged about 2 hours. He said it was difficult to work on because of the lack of space with the diesel intercooler tubes. He actually spent about 3 hours on it.

I will say the guys at red-head are fast. They sent the box same-day, I got it just 3 days later (ordered friday, got it tues). I sent the core back, and they credited my credit card right-away. Excellent service!

Old 07-31-2011, 12:08 AM
offroad_x
Junior User
Originally Posted by CanadianSmokie
Put adjustable camber/caster shims up front and have them adjusted to the max caster you can get... the caster on these trucks is like a shopping cart. It will make a big difference on the tracking ability on the highway.
I talked to my mechanic about this before I put in the red-head. He adjusted it as much as he could. He said he could order other shims, but he thought it was already maxed out on the factory specs.

I do think your suggestion is a good one. Thanks!

Old 07-31-2011, 12:17 AM
offroad_x
Junior User
Here is an update on the red-head. I've been driving the X for a little bit now, both city and highway. I have to say that the steering is much lighter than before, which is weird. I have had the X since 2006, and when stopped, sometimes could not turn the wheel. That never happens anymore. I can turn it with one hand all the time. It's like I didn't even have power steering before.

WRT the wander...it only is a problem when the road "tilts". Here around San Francisco, that happens everywhere. It is rare to find a smooth, straight, level highway. When I am on one of these, it tracks straight. When the road tilts, that's when it will fight the wheel. If it tilts to the left, the X starts to go left. I counter steer, and it responds, but it "feels" like it really doesn't want to. If I let go of the wheel, it will go in the direction of the tilt.

So, I think an anti-sway bar in the rear is what is needed. Is there any way to get a stiffer sway bar up front? I've got new hellwig drop-links and bushings on it. I also think stiffer shocks would help. I have 5 year old procomps on there, and I don't think they are doing anything. Ride is very smooth, though. Just too soft.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:19 PM
CanadianSmokie
Elder User
OffroadEx, no disrespect to your mechanic but the Ex never came with adjustable caster/camber shims, you got what you got. I know for a fact that you are not 'max out on you factory specs' The acceptable range for caster is .5 degree to 5 degrees. Every post I have ever read for Ex alignment specs put the caster, from the factory, no more than 2-3 degrees... and that would be generous.

A little food for thought before you spend money on upgraded/extra swaybars....
My truck was super twitchy at highway speeds when I first got it. I started by tightening the steering box which had a minimal effect... didn't stop the twitchiness, just took some of the slop out of the wheel. Next step was to do the adjustable shims and had them set to the max allowed before camber went out of spec... around 3.5-4 degrees. Immediately fixed the problem. I have since lifted the truck 6" and removed not only my front sway bar but also the track bar (for better articulation offroad). The truck is still as stable at highway speed as any vehicle I have ever owned. I can take my habd off the wheel, even on a crowned surface and it tracks. I can do quick lane changes without the slightest feeling of body roll. The 3 " wide springs on these trucks offer incredibile lateral stiffness. Mind you, I don't tow, so I can't speak to that aspect but for me the cure for the 'wanders' is the highest caster degree you can get with the adjustable shims.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:13 PM
jspringator
Senior User
I had them put 4 degrees of caster in and it was like driving a new truck. Steering was a lot easier and it seemed easier to drive.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:50 AM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Really made a difference driving on the highway on mine. Used to wander quite a bit before. Was definitely an improvement....

Old 09-29-2011, 09:00 PM
offroad_x
Junior User
Thanks for the info, CanadianSmokie! I will order some and have my mechanic adjust them. Maybe that will make it track better. I am encouraged that you took off your front sway bar! That's awesome.

I do take my truck off-road quite a bit with cal4wheel groups. In fact, I just came back from a weekend trip. I've got new damage to the truck...a broken mirror and a torn up running board. Not to mention the scratches along the side....

thanks again!