1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

HELP! Bodywork order?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 11:09 AM
CdnWillyG
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! Bodywork order?

I just started the body work on my 55 F100 with the drivers-door by removing oil canning and getting my gaps to look good but fnd my self all over the place from the doors to the cowl, front fender, to back of the cab.
What I'm trying to do is get everything ready for filler but it seems that I'm running in circles. Do I finish one completely then move on or is this the way to do it, if so then there must be a secret in the order?
HELP!

Old 06-24-2011, 11:20 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,422 Likes on 1,378 Posts
Doing everything in one big bite can be a little daunting and overwhelming. Many people find it easier to do one panel at a time. Maybe you just do the two doors, or perhaps the front fenders, etc. Concentrate on one or two pieces, finish your bodywork, prime them up, and move to the next group. You'll see more progress that way, too, and help keep up your interest and momentum.

Good luck with your project.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:58 AM
ImSoQuazy
Senior User
Hi *****,
I just looked at your project album... Great documentation photo progress! If only I had the skills (or the cojones) to tackle this myself...
Your frame in POR15 looks awesome too. I used the same product for my frame last month and I am so happy. Just ordered me a pint of silver to cover the tranny and a few engine compartment elements - alternator et cetera.
You just inspired me to put on my "Big Momma Panties" as my daughter would say and dig in. What you've done to the inner fire wall and inside floor is similar what I want to do with mine except I do not know how to weld.
Anyway, good job!
Paul

Old 06-24-2011, 02:20 PM
CdnWillyG
Senior User
Originally Posted by ImSoQuazy
Hi *****,
I just looked at your project album... Great documentation photo progress! If only I had the skills (or the cojones) to tackle this myself...
Your frame in POR15 looks awesome too. I used the same product for my frame last month and I am so happy. Just ordered me a pint of silver to cover the tranny and a few engine compartment elements - alternator et cetera.
You just inspired me to put on my "Big Momma Panties" as my daughter would say and dig in. What you've done to the inner fire wall and inside floor is similar what I want to do with mine except I do not know how to weld.
Anyway, good job!
Paul
Thanks Paul, but this is a first time around for me too! This site has given me the courage to try all this stuff and as far as welding goes....lets just say I'm a great grinder! A friend once told me that its only steel, if its too long cut it and if its too short weld a piece onto it.
I've learned to accept doing somethings more than once to get it to where I like it. But this body work may get the best of me yet, not knowing when its good enough to use filler is my biggest delma as I can't get it perfect to just use hi-build primer.
Keep me posted on your progress as I like seeing others work too!

Old 06-24-2011, 02:44 PM
CdnWillyG
Senior User
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
Doing everything in one big bite can be a little daunting and overwhelming. Many people find it easier to do one panel at a time. Maybe you just do the two doors, or perhaps the front fenders, etc. Concentrate on one or two pieces, finish your bodywork, prime them up, and move to the next group. You'll see more progress that way, too, and help keep up your interest and momentum.

Good luck with your project.
Thanks for the reply Wayne, good advise.
I started with my doors, then noticed the gap was out because my patch panels had a slightly rounded edge to them, worked on getting that right, then noticed that the cowl wasn't flat between the front fenders to the cab edge for the door but before I take the fender off, it had some issues which I thought would be easier to deal with it on the truck, etc.
I like having more than one repair going at the same time because when I mix my filler I usually have too much and am kinda cheap not wanting to waste any so with other repairs ready for it I can use it up.
I have removed my door to do the gaps so now I will pull the fender and get the cowl flat and work at getting the gaps nice re-hang the door I can't finish it because of the curved glass kit that I need to install more cutting and welding needed. And my delima continues but I will do one thing at a time and then go back if need be.
I'm trying to get the cab done as I have new glass, box, running boards, tail gate, rear fenders and roll pan just waiting to go on. Its been almost 5 years since I've seen the truck look like a truck.
I ramble now but have a little excitment happening here again...thats a good think!

Old 06-24-2011, 03:50 PM
cruisetopdown
Laughing Gas
Received 273 Likes on 109 Posts
*****, one of the things that I like to do once I get things down to metal is to use a jumbo sharpe/marker to circle all of the spots that need attention.....that way I don't overlook anything. I agree that you should go small amounts (1 panel) at a time, however there are times when you will need to work several panels at once, just stay within the scope of the main panel you are trying to finish. BE PATIENT and review your work, when you feel like your finished, walk away and re-check it later....you may be surprised at what you might have missed.
P.S., I'm not a pro, but I slept at a .........
Good luck
Wade