Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signals not working...Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 10:49 AM
blkfordsedan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turn signals not working...Help!

My turn signals quit working, both RH & LH. The 4-way flashers work, so I'm assuming the bulbs and the flasher assembly in the fuse panel are not the problem. My guess is that the switch inside the steering column broke, however, the lever still locks into position and self cancels as normal. Does anyone know what's in there, how it's made or what would need replaced? I would prefer to only pull the steering wheel off once to fix it! My truck is a '97 F250HD, so it doesn't have an airbag.....which is good for ease of removing the wheel, but I hope it doesn't have some rare odd-ball type of switch. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Old 06-23-2011, 12:57 PM
Nealcrenshaw
Senior User
IF you have the wiring diagram see if the turn signals and hazards share the same flasher if they share the same flasher then most likely its the multi function switch, i'm not sure how to get to it on a '97.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:58 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 225 Likes on 176 Posts
You need to check and make sure the fuse and the turn flasher are good first.
Yes they use a different fuse and flasher.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:25 PM
outdoorfan
Senior User
On your truck does the turn signals and flashers share the same flasher, or are there two flashers? On my '95 there are two flashers. I just recently had to replace the one for the turn signals.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:42 PM
blkfordsedan
Senior User
Truck SHOULD be the same as a '95 or '96. The 15A fuse is good. The only flasher relay I can find is in the bottom RH corner of the fuse panel. It's labeled "turn signal indicator flasher" right on the fuse panel cover. When I turn on the 4-ways you can hear and feel the contacts inside it work (on-off-on-off-etc.). If I unplug it, the 4-ways don't work. Now...when I turn on the turn signals, I can hear and feel the contacts "click" ONCE, but the arrow lights on the dash don't come on and the outside lights don't come on at all. When I turn it off, I can hear & feel it "click" once again. I assumed that the contacts were closing & staying closed (by the one click issue) but I would think the lights would turn on and stay on if that were the case.

Is it possible the flasher is weak and works with the higher load of the 4-ways, but not with the reduced load of just 2 bulbs for the turn signals??
Could a failing or weak switch in the column cause these symptoms?
Where is the seperate relay you spoke of?

Old 06-23-2011, 02:53 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
whats the flasher number, if i remember correctly i think the 97's had a 552 (or was it a 522?) the color should I think be a forest green almost, some also had a light aqua blue which i think was a 442 flasher (i think) which I want to say was in 98+ the wagner flasher, will make a slow click...click...click noise the 4 way flasher (at least in my truck) is a seperate unit located some place else you may have a combined flasher tho, I would suggest pulling your turn signal flasher and test the 4way that way you will know for sure if your flasher is for turn signals only or if its one for both turn signals and 4way (which it should be just turn signals)

another test you can try to see if its a bad flasher is grab a FL/EL12 "no load" flasher from auto zone or some place like that and pop it in to see if your lights start to work

Old 06-23-2011, 03:25 PM
blkfordsedan
Senior User
It's a round, silver, aluminum Wagner #552 (or maybe 522)........
Anyway, yes....the contactors inside are working when the 4-ways are on and when I pulled it out the 4-ways quit working. I'm thinking I should be able to test the switch by checking for power at the terminal in the fuse panel, but I don't know which terminal, how much voltage, etc.. and don't have a wiring diagram or manual for this truck.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:46 PM
blkfordsedan
Senior User
OK............so I'M A MORON!!!!!!!

There are 2 relays (both #522). One for the turn signals and one for the 4-ways.
The one for the 4-ways is directly behind the relay for the turn signals, on the back side of the fuse panel and even plugs into the back side of the same terminals. What I was feeling and hearing was actually the relay for the 4-ways that was hidden behind the panel. The noise & vibration was transferring through to the turn signal relay, LOL. I swapped the relays and now the turn signals work but the 4-ways don't.........looks like all I need is a new relay!!
Thanks for everyone's help!!!

Old 06-23-2011, 05:06 PM
outdoorfan
Senior User
Originally Posted by blkfordsedan

There are 2 relays (both #522). One for the turn signals and one for the 4-ways.
The one for the 4-ways is directly behind the relay for the turn signals, on the back side of the fuse panel and even plugs into the back side of the same terminals. What I was feeling and hearing was actually the relay for the 4-ways that was hidden behind the panel. The noise & vibration was transferring through to the turn signal relay, LOL. I swapped the relays and now the turn signals work but the 4-ways don't.........looks like all I need is a new relay!!

THAT'S what I was getting at. I'm glad you figured it out. Simple problem, simple fix.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:36 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Originally Posted by blkfordsedan

so i was able to help pin point the issue to the flasher glad i could help figure it out and glad to hear they are 522s i knew it was something like that

Old 06-23-2011, 10:00 PM
blkfordsedan
Senior User
LOL, I looked all over the truck & under the hood for the second relay. I even looked under the dash, but they have it tucked up so close behind the fuse panel you have to be laying on the floorboard looking straight up to see it. It actually plugs in to the back side of the fuse panel. That's too hard of a position for an overweight middle-aged man like me to get into! I even swear when I pulled the turn signal relay the first time that the 4-ways didn't work.....evidently I didn't push the Hazzard button down all the way!
I just put the flasher relay into the turn signal position, so now I have turn signals but no flashers until I buy another relay. Since I use the flashers once every 3 years, I'll probably never buy one.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:11 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
hey im a small size thin guy and i have issues getting up under the dash my self...so i know what you mean man now i just need to figure where its located on a 95 model LOL and pull mine and replace it with a no load unit...

Old 02-21-2013, 07:16 PM
Ket
New User
When i put either turn signals on both tail lights flash as if the 4ways are on. My 4ways work so i swapped the flashers and i still have same issue. Any1 have an idea what could be wrong?

Old 02-21-2013, 08:55 PM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If there is a trailer connector at the rear bumper, check the wires on it and where it connects to the truck harness.. Sorta sounds like something is crossed up somewhere.

Old 12-24-2021, 01:31 PM
pickenspolitics
Junior User
I have a 1973 F-100 and there are two flashers. I had the same problem with the turn signal. It took some time, but I found that second flasher and it was bad.

Quick Reply: Turn signals not working...Help!