Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Drivers door lock not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 08:43 AM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Congratulations on getting this fixed!

That's the second time I've heard of one of these having a broken wire between the kick panel and the RAP module. The first one they isolated to right at the back seat. Since the wires don't move back there, and shouldn't be getting pinched there, I expected it was a fluke. It appears we have a trend now....

-Rod

Old 07-02-2011, 09:33 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
Don't think I would have ever figured that one out myself.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:32 PM
V8Ranger302
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ya it didn't make sense to me either... I followed the wire back and kept testing it and pulling on it to make sure i had the right one ( because there are a few that are the same color for different doors ) and when I got to a spot when the doors locked, I just ran a jumper wire from there to the kick panel and all is working good now.... So far anyway... lol...

Old 08-27-2011, 05:11 PM
Daweezy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello folks, my question is as follows, pls bare with me as its long and annoying,
i have a 03 explorer, the door ajar light has been on for months now, have tried putting wd40 into all 4 latches, no idea which of the doors its reading ajar, have tried em all.... and now my side view mirror switch( electric) has decided to stop working..this happened at the same time as my drivers side door lock button has went capoot on me as well, for the first two days that the lock wouldnt work if i opened the drivers door all the way it would work, now it doesnt even do that, the passenger door button does still lock and unlock all 4 doors, as does the key toggle. likelyhood the wire is broke inside the rubber tunnel? any clue or ideas would be helpful, right now my truck is only dependable working auto we have as my hubbys transy just went out on his truck ..just wanting to make sure my elec system isnt gonna give me fits..... sorry for the terribly long post, and ty in advance for any help

Old 08-27-2011, 09:50 PM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Yep, I'd agree with your assessment that there is a broken wire or two between the door and the cabin (one for locks, one for power mirrors).

-Rod

Old 10-06-2012, 04:36 PM
Gannbino
New User
I have lock issues also. The drivers side lock switch doesnt woerk at all. The passenger lock switch unlocks all dors but will not lock them. And the key fob will not lock or unlock anything. Along with that when all doors are closed and the ignition is turned on all the doors a supposed to lock and vise versa and none of that works either. I have checked all fuses and ford alarm settings . HELP!

Old 10-06-2012, 04:54 PM
shorod
Logistics Pro
What year Explorer do you have, Gannbino?

As for the key fob not working for anything, does the Panic feature work? If not, maybe the battery in the fob is bad, or the fob is not programmed to the vehicle. Does your truck have they 5-button keypad on the outside of the driver's door? If so, does that work to lock or unlock the doors?

-Rod

Old 10-06-2012, 06:17 PM
Gannbino
New User
Sorry im new here and posted in the wrong area. I have a F250 7.3... And the truck makes the chirping noise and turns on and off the alarm but the doors dont even make a noise like they are trying to lock and unlock. no keypad on the door. Both key fobs do the same thing.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:37 AM
Derrik
New User
Step by step fix video

Here's a step by step video showing how to fix that its a very common problem http://youtu.be/gWqWv_RC904

Old 12-01-2012, 09:18 PM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Received 5,160 Likes on 1,689 Posts
Great thread guys, ShoRod, Derrik & all, thx a lot

Old 12-01-2012, 11:03 PM
Derrik
New User
No problem always willing to help where I can hope my video helped and will help others<3

One love

Old 01-24-2013, 02:33 AM
CBruck
New User
My front passenger and tailgate locks stopped working and my rear passenger lock works sometimes. would i have the same problem as everybody else?

Old 01-24-2013, 06:39 AM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Welcome to the forum!

Since only a few of your locks don't seem to work, and another is intermittent, I don't think you are looking for a broken wire between the driver's door switch and the RAP module. You're going to need to take the interior panels off, check for voltage to the solenoids, then work your way backward. Do the locks function any differently if you use the lock/unlock switch on the passenger door or in the cargo area? What year is your truck?

-Rod

Old 02-03-2013, 09:14 AM
texan2004
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My problem is similar. All lock switches work except the drivers door lock switch. It will lock all of the doors but it will not unlock them. All others switches lock and unlock all of the doors. I have replaced the switch with a new one from Ford but this did not fix the problem.

My Explorer is a 1996 2-Door Sport Model. It has a feature (Factory Ford) whereby if you unlock the driver's side door with the key 2 times in quick succession, it will unlock all of the doors. This feature still works.

My only problem is not being able to unlock the doors from the driver's side door unlock switch.

1 - Any idea what color wire I need to run down. I do not have a wiring diagram?

2 - Where is the RAP module located?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:46 PM
shorod
Logistics Pro
The key cylinder unlock switch goes directly to the RAP module to unlock the doors, so it does seem like you're issue would like in the unlock signal from the driver's door unlock switch. The Unlock wire from the door switch is Pink/Light Green all the way from the switch to pin 11 of the RAP.

The RAP should be in the same place on your Sport as on the 4-door, behind the left (driver's side) rear interior trim panel. Probably just above the wheel well.

If you would like a copy of the wiring diagram for the RAP system, send me a Private Message with the request and an e-mail address for you.

-Rod

Quick Reply: Drivers door lock not working