1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To CDL or not to CDL.........

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 09:24 AM
Crete
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
Example 3: A guy has an F350 rated at 11,500lbs, and pulls a fifth wheel trailer rated at 15,000lbs. His Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating is 26,500lbs. He is required to have a Class A CDL, DOT number, and medical card. His medical exam is more thorough though. They do the drug test on guys with a CDL.
Unless it is personal use. If so then you don't need the DOT numbers and such. Also the drug test isn't part of the medical exam. At least not here.

And, yes, if you have a DOT number, you are required to enter the scale house to be weighed and inspected. Running past a scale house is a $200.00 fine here in Ky. Along with having to go back and get weighed, and inspected. Guarantee they find something too.
Needing to scale has nothing to do with having numbers. At least not here.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:44 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Crete
Unless it is personal use. If so then you don't need the DOT numbers and such. Also the drug test isn't part of the medical exam. At least not here.

I thought I said earlier, this is for work vehicles. You are correct.

Needing to scale has nothing to do with having numbers. At least not here.
In Ky, if you have a DOT number, you have to enter the scale houses if they're open. I believe all DOT numbered commercial vehicles has to enter the scale house.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:41 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Drug testing is more of a company policy thing, isn't it?

Old 06-17-2011, 11:51 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
No. It is a requirement for a CDL holder.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:58 AM
Crete
Senior User
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
What he said. ^

Old 06-17-2011, 12:03 PM
Crete
Senior User
I thought I said earlier, this is for work vehicles.
Yes you did. My bad.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:15 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Something else that guys with DOT numbers or CDL holders have to look forward to. There is a requirement to keep all kinds of records. Maintenance, log book, (even guys that run local have to keep some kind of log book), various and assorted fees for whatever. Anyhow,,,, if you are involved in an accident, they will look at all of your records. If, you are not up to date with all of the paperwork etc, they will rule that you were operating the vehicle illegally, and charge you with the accident. You could be sitting at a red light, and get rear ended. You will be charged for the accident if your records aren't up to date.

Just another reason to say, if you don't need it, don't get it.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:27 PM
Vijay
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Soodude
I have my class A CDL in michigan and it's a pain in the rear. If you get pulled over in your regular vehicle and you get a point for speeding well you better times it by 2 because we get double the points. If you're driving a truck with a load and forget to tarp, it's 2 points. The .08 legal alcohol limit in a regular vehicle is reduced for us to .02.
True, that's why I drive at speed limit at all times....on Motorcycle, Jeep and my pick up. It's quite a hand full of responsibilities to carry around especially when you are NOT using it to make money!

Old 06-17-2011, 12:38 PM
Bat-Masterson
Junior User

No. It is a requirement for a CDL holder.
Unless your self employed in a driving job that you need a CDL or work for a company were you need your CDL.
Other then that the only time when you get drug tested is when you get your DOT card every 3 years.
I held on to my CDL for 20 years not needing it and other then for the DOT card no random testing for just having your CDL.

And a lot of states if you drive intrastate instead of interstate you can get a DOT medical waiver where you will not need a DOT medical card

Old 06-17-2011, 12:45 PM
Crete
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bat-Masterson
Unless your self employed in a driving job that you need a CDL or work for a company were you need your CDL.
Other then that the only time when you get drug tested is when you get your DOT card every 3 years.
I held on to my CDL for 20 years not needing it and other then for the DOT card no random testing for just having your CDL.

And a lot of states if you drive intrastate instead of interstate you can get a DOT medical waiver where you will not need a DOT medical card
This must vary from state to state. Getting a drug test is not part of getting a med card. And getting a med card is evey 2 years.

I don't think you need a drug test for personal use CDL but at the same time you can't get a CDL here without having the med card ahead of time.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:16 PM
Bat-Masterson
Junior User

This must vary from state to state. Getting a drug test is not part of getting a med card. And getting a med card is evey 2 years.

I don't think you need a drug test for personal use CDL but at the same time you can't et a CDL here without having the med card ahead of time.
Your right you **** in the cup to check your sugar ( at least that what i think it is for), been a while was thinking it was for drug, but that could not be because you walk out with your card the same day, could not do that if it was drug test. gave my CDL up last year so it was a few years before that for my last medical.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:51 PM
SCH
Freshman User
I recently checked out California's recreational towing guide and it stated that if you are towing a standard trailer with a GVW over 10,000 or a fifth wheel over 15,000 you need a non-comercial class A license. I looked at that and it has a test, a practical exam but no medical exam. I thought this was interesting because we all see / do pull over these numbers regularly and I doubt most have this type of license.

I'm no expert and could be reading it wrong but it seemed prety cut and dry.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:53 PM
5.4f250sd
Senior User
It isn't exactly federal law. It's federal law for interstate commerce but not intrastate. But many states, like MN, adopted the federal law, for the most part, for intrastate commerce as well.

As far as the decision between an F250 and a 350. Do you pull a trailer with the F250? If so yo still need numbers.
Class D (non-commercial) is valid for single vehicles with a gross vehicle weight
of 26,000 pounds or less. Class D licenses are also valid to tow vehicles if the
towed vehicles have a gross vehicle weight of 10,000 pounds or less; or the
towed vehicles have a gross vehicle weight of more than 10,000 pounds and the combination of vehicles has a gross vehicle weight of 26,000 pounds or less. A class D license is also valid for recreational vehicles as defined in Minn. Stat. §169.011 subd 3.

I still don't need numbers or a cdl if the truck doesn't exceed 10,000 gvw or the combine doesn't exceed 26000.
This is why I bought a 250 at 9400 gvwr. This way I don't have dot checks and don't pay extra license fees.

I do hold a class A CDL!

Old 06-17-2011, 02:20 PM
Crete
Senior User
Originally Posted by SCH
I recently checked out California's recreational towing guide and it stated that if you are towing a standard trailer with a GVW over 10,000 or a fifth wheel over 15,000 you need a non-comercial class A license. I looked at that and it has a test, a practical exam but no medical exam. I thought this was interesting because we all see / do pull over these numbers regularly and I doubt most have this type of license.

I'm no expert and could be reading it wrong but it seemed prety cut and dry.
That is unique to CA so most of us don't need that type of license.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:24 PM
Crete
Senior User
Originally Posted by 5.4f250sd
Class D (non-commercial) is valid for single vehicles with a gross vehicle weight
of 26,000 pounds or less. Class D licenses are also valid to tow vehicles if the
towed vehicles have a gross vehicle weight of 10,000 pounds or less; or the
towed vehicles have a gross vehicle weight of more than 10,000 pounds and the combination of vehicles has a gross vehicle weight of 26,000 pounds or less. A class D license is also valid for recreational vehicles as defined in Minn. Stat. §169.011 subd 3.

I still don't need numbers or a cdl if the truck doesn't exceed 10,000 gvw or the combine doesn't exceed 26000.
This is why I bought a 250 at 9400 gvwr. This way I don't have dot checks and don't pay extra license fees.

I do hold a class A CDL!
But do you pull a trailer?

You need DOT numbers over 10k GVWR or GCWR or GVW.

ps It has nothing to do with class of license.

Quick Reply: To CDL or not to CDL.........