Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

CB antenna Mount (Opinions)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 06:46 AM
muscletruck7379
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I agree that the roof, or the roll bar would be best for getting a good ground plane, that is if you want to call a vehicle a good ground plane...

I had 4' whips on my mirrors, but they didn't have any springs so they broke constantly until i broke down and installed some. but those foldover adaptors aren't half bad looking and would work well for a non-mirror mounted setup.

i'm studying for my FCC license, just on my own out of the books.

my cb is a 5w 1976 midland... freebie that sat on a shelf until i got it! it may not have the range of my cell phone, but i don't have to dial it and the battery hardly ever dies!

Old 06-11-2011, 10:50 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 78_f800crewcab4x4
But on a serious note, you need to communicate rapidly in rough terrain or bad weather.

Channel 4 is off road designated usually. (i think, it's been a while since I offroaded with a group since my buddy died)

I took an FCC class-it was a joke. The guy didn't expect you to learn anything, just pass a test with a quickie flash 50 or so question thing.
Only problem is no matter what mods you do t a CB (almost all of which are illegal), you will never get the range you can get legally via te ham bands.

Yes, there are shady testers out there, but the community will teach you what the tester didn't, where lately the CB band has been overrun with illegal transmitters and *********s who make it near impossible to communicate and there is almost no recourse for the legit users. At least the ham bands have some semblance of order and recourse to go after idiot users.

CB is a dying band for a reason.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:13 AM
Burburan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you mount it, then mount one on the opposite side of the radio antena so you get less signal interferrance. If you notice on a lot of amuture radio operators vehicles, they always mount the CB antena as far away from other electrical equipment. Usaully rear bumpers. I am not to crazy about that look, which is why I mounted mine in the left rear inside of the box just behind the cab. 4' antenna should be fine with minimal if any contact in garages or drive thrus. By-the-way with a lot of the new tech stuff that we run in our truck GPS, XM and cell phones, there are plent of things that can kill frequency signals. Older equipment seems to work better than going out and buying the new latesdt and greatest CB and Antenas, Stay away from Cobras!

Old 06-11-2011, 11:52 AM
73f250highboy
Posting Guru
What would be the best brand of cb? Why stay away from cobras?

Old 06-11-2011, 12:00 PM
Burburan
Senior User
"Monkey" They are made to help minimize the interferance you get from new technology.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:35 PM
outlawkyote
Senior User
When I was running CBs, I liked running dual 8' whips mounted to the bed rail behing the cab on each side. Then I pulled them down torward the rear bumper and hooked them while town driving, let them loose when I was running with the 4wheel drive club. Pulled back and down I was still able to get great reception and I think I only let them flop around just to be cool while 4 wheeling. I didnt notice a difference in reception. If I was to do it again I would go with the same setup with stainless steel whips.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:20 PM
kbrenner536
Senior User
If youre not too wild about the roll bar, ditch it and mount a whip centered on the front bed rail. Thats what I did. When I got my 76 it had this hinky *** swivel mount just behind the driver side drip rail. It looked like a damn rc truck with my wilson on it.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:52 PM
kilich
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by montana_highboy
CB antenna?? are you serious?? mount it on your moms '74 Pinto dude.....but only after you remove that cheesy '70's roll bar....christ sakes...
that roll bar weighs more than a pinto does.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:07 AM
kilich
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Burburan
If you mount it, then mount one on the opposite side of the radio antena so you get less signal interferrance. If you notice on a lot of amuture radio operators vehicles, they always mount the CB antena as far away from other electrical equipment. Usaully rear bumpers. I am not to crazy about that look, which is why I mounted mine in the left rear inside of the box just behind the cab. 4' antenna should be fine with minimal if any contact in garages or drive thrus. By-the-way with a lot of the new tech stuff that we run in our truck GPS, XM and cell phones, there are plent of things that can kill frequency signals. Older equipment seems to work better than going out and buying the new latesdt and greatest CB and Antenas, Stay away from Cobras!
at the moment the truck does not have a radio and its to big to be in a garage any way. Im just worried about the bridges around here the lowest i think is 14 ft. I just measured the truck, From the ground to the lights, (which are the highest point on the truck) is 7ft 9in. so I have about 8 feet of play. So Can someone suggest a Good antenna and a CB?

Old 06-12-2011, 03:39 AM
muscletruck7379
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
galaxy makes one fine radio, I would say that the antenna would depend on where you decide on mounting it, but a wilson or firestick are good. make sure that you use a good cable with good connections and no unneeded extra length to keep the db loss down.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:51 AM
finneys98xj
Senior User
I have a brand new Galaxy 44 still in box never been used!! I'm thinking of putting in my truck.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:23 PM
Browser
New User
CB Mount Idea

Still a valid question today. I'd like to see pics of what others have done. Hood, mirror or bed?

Old 01-23-2016, 01:44 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 894 Likes on 809 Posts
My 1975 F250 SC 2wd had the antenna mounted on the cowl on the drivers' side. The radio antenna was on the pass side. No problems with operation.
Might want to check with local laws....In many places a CB is considered a "hand held device" and is illegal. Like using a cell phone.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:08 PM
Rico47635
Elder User
102 inch whip, 6 inch spring, ball mount, corner of rear bumper on either side. You will get out and receive like gangbusters on stock 4 watt radio. Another option is the same set up on the lower rear quarter panel. You can also go with a ball mount on upper part of cab side with a 4 foot fiberglass antenna, but the 102 inch whip will outperform it.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:27 PM
Steven@nd
Elder User

Sorry it's a Dodge, but dual whips look nice! My brother's high school rig... sitting in the back of the garage now.

Quick Reply: CB antenna Mount (Opinions)