1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

HELP an insurance adjuster is givin me the shaft!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 10:48 AM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
HELP an insurance adjuster is givin me the shaft!

Howdy All,
Knulla! Last Saturday a hit and run driver collided with the front right quarter of my '81 E-150, my pride and joy. This may be an oooold van but let me tell ya what's gone into this rig;

Bought van Feb. 1997 it was old but had the venerable 300 and a 4 speed OD manual trans.

Mar. '97 Replaced carpet & rear door weatherstrip, also tune up and repl V belts
Aug. '97 Repl. front and rear trans bearings
Sep. '99 Repl. Water Pump
Aug. 2000 Had front and rear brakes, brake lines and wheel cylinders repl.
Nov. '01 Replaced motor with 300 long block from Evergreen Engines
Dec. '01 Upgraded to dual battery system to support electronics equipment;
105 Amp Alternator, new regualtor, wiring for Stereo, Amp, CB, Bi -Linear Amp. etc.
Jan. '02 Repl. Clutch
May. '02 Repl Heater Core
Dec. '02 Repl. leaking Wheel Cylinder
Feb. '03 Custom Exhaust manifold repair, repl. muffler and header pipe
Jan. '04 Hella Headlamp conversion install
Jan. '04 Repl. Starter and solenoid
Jan. '05 Transmission & Drivline rebuild, new clutch (damaged)

Virtually this van was quickly becoming 'like new' if not 'improved'.

So, given its age (1981) I just know the insurance adjuster is gonna try to shaft me as I've dealt with this guy before with an incident with my Jeep. (same insurance company) However given all the work and new parts I don't feel that book value applies in this case. What do you folks think?
Do I have any recourse in the event of this adjuster being inflexible? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks All!

Old 11-16-2005, 11:28 AM
94van
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same thing happened to me a few years ago on a '72 Mercury I had just finished restoring. Adjuster wanted to give me $800. I then pulled out every receipt I had and we settled for 3 times that much. Not what I had in it, but I didn't get hurt too bad. Receipts do make a difference.

Old 11-16-2005, 12:12 PM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The best you can really hope for is the HIGH end of book value. They really can't justify paying you what you have in it. On paper it's just a 1981 Econoloine. Not the countless hours you spent working on it. It's a sad part of life.

Old 11-16-2005, 07:17 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
Total the receipts and lets us know the amount. You might want to pay for an independent appraisal for its replacement value if it was in nice shape.

Old 11-17-2005, 03:52 AM
VikingBabe
Posting Guru
I also have an 81 Van bought a year ago. Nothing wrong with those OOOlllldddd vans. An E100 with a 300 stock and auto transmission though. Just rewired the lights, redid the rear brakes, put in a new oilsending unit so far.

But yeah, to insurance companies...it's what the book says, not what you put into it. However, as pointed out...if you have the receipts and get another independent opinion that just might help.

Old 11-17-2005, 07:33 AM
Qvan666
Tuned
Received 265 Likes on 140 Posts
3 years ago I had an appraisal done on my van because I knew book wouldn't get near it's real worth.

My 1978 E250 (4x4 Pathfinder) was worth a little over 10K at that time. Sometimes you need the appraisal for a fair value.

Whether or not this would help in case of an accident, I don't know. But for 50 dollars it makes me feel a little better.
bob

Old 11-17-2005, 09:44 AM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
Thanks for all the responses folks. Good to see you VikingBabe (gotta love that monniker) It's been since Monday and no sign of that adjuster. I think he's hoping to catch me at work on Friday - my busiest time. But I've got all of my receipts in order and my maintenance log all set. I'm unsure about legalities in such an endeavor as this though so I'll keep checking this fantastic group. Be well All.

Old 11-17-2005, 06:18 PM
Gene W
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
turbogus,

With a van like yours you need to buy either agreed value or declared value insurance on it.

With ordinary insurance you will likely reach the point where it is totaled by the insurance company with very little damage.

Some companies will allow you to buy the salvage from them after they pay your claim and sometimes they will let you swap a working part for a special part on your van before they tow it away. For example, If your van had custom wheels and tires and if you still have the OEM wheels and tires you may be able to substitute them for any custom wheels and tires that are on the van because they are only paying for OEM style wheels and tires.

Gene

Last edited by Gene W; 11-17-2005 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:46 AM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
Apart from purchase cost and not inclusive of tune up and oil change parts/consumables I've dropped $4588.78 since the aquisition of this van to renew/rebuild it's condition.

Also I failed to mention in my primary post that, my van is covered through my office insurance. I manage a small bus station and this van or any other vehicle on the property is included in the station insurance up to $500,000 for Uninsured Motorist. I don't know if this Commercial insurance will be to my benefit or detriment. We'll see.

Old 11-25-2005, 10:22 AM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
The new skinny;

Had the adjuster call me to advise since the van was totaled they'd only offer $2500. I responded it was no acceptable as all of the blood, sweat, and tears (if you've read my posts about engine transplant in here a couple of years ago, you know what I mean) So they re-offerred the $2500 + 300 for loss-of-use and all salvage on my van. I accepted as I can pull the guts and accessories out of it and put into another van.....
Just then this f@ckin' adjuster remarked "oops, I don't think you're covered, I'll call you right back."

Now as this was a hit-and-run I believe my van is covered under Uninsured Motorist coverage that I have up to the amount of $500,000. My idiot agent tells me I have liability only. B@llSh@t!!!! The van is named specifically in the policy and Unisured Motorist is a line item!

Round 3 coming up....

Last edited by turbogus; 11-25-2005 at 10:28 AM. Reason: mis-spelling
Old 12-13-2005, 03:19 PM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
Round 3
Adjuster and idiot Insurance agent remained adamant that I was not covered. I began searching for a new agent and company, one of which was State Farm. The agent listened to the story and exclaimed that I was indeed covered! She then gave me the web address to the State of Oregon Insurance Commissioner. I filled out a standard complaint form (kinda like the BBB) and within two days got a letter of introduction by the official handling my claim with the Insurance Comm. office.
That same day I got a call from the lead adjuster of my Insurance Comapnay and they settled for the full amount! I got the check Saturday! Perserverance certainly paid off in this situation! ... and a fair amount of Finnish Sisula!The consideration check was in the amount of $2800 + all salvage

Last edited by turbogus; 12-13-2005 at 03:25 PM.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:52 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
Turbo, I know you probably would rather have the van then $2800, but, I am glad to see your claim got settled some what fairly. Maybe you can salvage what is left and put it into another van. Good luck!

Old 12-14-2005, 11:22 AM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gus, see if they'll let you buy it back for scrap value. $50.

Old 12-15-2005, 09:08 AM
Gene W
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pfogle,

He already got the van for free.

***The consideration check was in the amount of $2800 + all salvage***

Gene

Old 12-15-2005, 10:10 AM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
Yeppirs! I suppose that the *&$%@! insurance company didn't feel an ol' '81 was worth the salvage. The 'consideration' is going to repair all the damage and then some.

Quick Reply: HELP an insurance adjuster is givin me the shaft!