Sponsored by:

Backup Camera - Hard Wired

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 11:37 AM
Callmed
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EXCELLENT!!!!

We just had a nav/dvd headunit installed it was set up for rear camera already. We just had to purchase the camera. We got a nice lic plate camera. Unit was like 200 (i think). If we hadnt got the headunit we would have done exactly what u posted.

Urs looks great and pic quality looks just as good for 1/4 the price. Nice!!!!

Old 01-13-2012, 07:30 PM
ericmmcv
Junior User
Great write up. I am going to do this now. My hates this website now that I am retired. Keeps giving me great ideas to spend more money on!

Eric

Old 01-13-2012, 10:25 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jasonodsky
I routed the coax and two wires (+ & -) from the overhead console, down the passenger side headliner to the rubber boot on the top of the liftgate. Pushing the coax and power wires through that boot was a real pain but well worth it.
I used the same rubber 'tunnel' to get the wires from the headliner into the liftgate then up behind the third row brake light.

What I found that makes it easier is to use about a foot of the irrigation drip line - that small diameter stuff you use to run drip lines for flowers. It's stiff and you can run a small wire inside of it. I ran a 'fish' wire through that, then ran that tube through the rubber tube. It's stiff enough to get past the accordion folds in the tubing and you can twist it to make the curves you need.

After you run that through, keep hold of the fish wire and pull the tubing out. Tie the wires you want to pull through to the fish wire, and pull. Took me maybe 2 minutes from the time I found the tubing in the garage to having the wire pulled through and the rubber tube re-installed. I used this on the door boots on my Expedition as well...a little tricker having to do it with one hand inside the door, but still easier than wrestling with a wire fish or doing it with just the wire alone.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:29 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by locknload223
Excellent write up, I've been wanting to do this for a while. I also want a camera on the back of my 31' TT, hate not knowing what's behind me.

How strong is that suction cup? I've never had good luck with them. I suppose I could buy two of those kits and add an extended coaxial cable for the trailer.

Oh yeah, any particular reason you chose that camera and not the license plate camera? I'd rather not drill into the trim.
So, if you can find them, the suction cup units that have the "cam" work really good. I use one for my dash cam and it's been holding through temp variations from below freezing to over 60 and it hasn't seemed to give at all. If you can though, try to keep it off of the edge tinting with the little dots...it's a bear to get good suction that lasts when they run between the suction cup and window.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:23 PM
bigzirb
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been trying to find a backup camera that was wireles so I could move it from the Ex to the back of the 25' Travel trailer.The promlem has been to find one that transmits that far reliably. With this as cheap as it is I could buy 2 cameras and wire them both in place. Hook up the TT camera when I hook up the rest of the trailer connections. Then use a 2 position switch, and just change what is displayed in when I'm towing. Thanks for the great write up!!

Old 01-13-2012, 11:44 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by bigzirb
I have been trying to find a backup camera that was wireles so I could move it from the Ex to the back of the 25' Travel trailer.
I'm doing the same on our SAR trailers. I think I'm just going to use a wired camera and add the 4 pin standard trailer wiring as the hookup. I haven't found any yet that you can get reliable performance on (based on user reviews).

Old 01-14-2012, 12:16 AM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Very nice job! Reps to you!

Now you didn't go find a Prius to park in front of just for the picture, did you?

I used one of those cheap license plate ones for about six months. The screen mounted on a stand that velcro'd to the dash, and I couldn't stand it there. Between that and the fact that the little bubble plastic lens cover on the camera scratched up quite early on, it wasn't worth keeping on. I thought about putting it on the back of the TT though if I could run the wire somehow and had somewhere to put it, but I never have yet.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:19 PM
grishw1
Senior User
You guys are great! Thanks for taking the time!

Old 02-23-2012, 12:55 AM
LWW
Elder User
Well done! I plan to add a front camera and a "quick-detach" wiring for a backup camera on the enclosed trailer as well.

Originally Posted by jasonodsky
A couple of guys on here asked me to do a write up on my hard wired backup camera so here it is...

I hope you like the write up!

Old 02-24-2012, 12:19 AM
precisiontile
Senior User
Lightbulb

I just posted a similar comment on a post about having a wireless camera on the rear of my 16ft enclosed trailer (above barn doors). I just browsed over a few comments here, seen kinda what was being said and thought I'd add my information. Hope it helps!

It is the peak wireless with the 3.5 inch monitor. I have great signal with it, even driving down the highway. It has a clear picture and for the price couldn't pass it up! I've had it installed over six months now. I also installed a xav-62bt Sony in the dash with a license cam that I can see the ball and behind the truck with no prob.

When I installed the trailer camera, the wireless transmitter only came about a quarter of the way to the front of the trailer, so i took a telephone wire and spliced in the extra wire to get the transmitter to the front top of the enclosed (where the running lights are). Was a very simple job and the peak only has four wires between the camera and transmitter. I hardwired the cigarette plug to the monitor in the overhead console 12v switched (tested with the key and test light) and stuck it up above the rear view mirror, to the left, so I could see the full monitor and not be covered by the sun visor.

I mentioned in the other post that I didn't know how to post pictures to a post, but if someone could explain how to, I'd do my best to get the on here for you guys!