Replace Body Mounts-Tighten up Body

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 08:21 AM
Bikeitswift
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Replace Body Mounts-Tighten up Body

I've "picked up" (right Forum, eh?) a very nice 63 F100 (see my gallery), but the thing sounds like the front end is going to come off in a pile of body parts every time I go over a bump. The previous owner produced receipts(over $700) for all new bushings, kingpins, shocks, etc. on the front suspension, done by a spring shop in Austin. I bought a radiator front mount kit, and all the body mounts/spacers/bolts/etc. , and intend to begin by unbolting all the mounts, then, using 2 x 6's or whatever, slowly work around the truck removing the old, then inserting the new mounts. After that, I plan onchecking the fit/alignment of my front parts, then tightening all down a litle at a time. Am I heading off in the right direction? No rust on this truck. I need help!

Old 03-28-2003, 02:10 AM
old65
Junior User
Exclamation Replace Body Mounts-Tighten up Body

number one- the 'thrust arm' bushings-if there is a little play, it'll make big rattles! make sure theyre ok. two-sounds like your on to it, but check all the <a href="http://www.motorhaven.com/">bumper</a> brackets and bolts- look for 'rust dust' around ALL the bolts and nuts on ALL the front end sheetmetal- metal rubbing against metal will make iron dust'rust-these old trucks have a lot of metal to metal contact in front, and slightly loose bolts will creak and rattle quite a bit.-post back with what youve done so far and we'll see what we can do!-good luck!

Old 03-28-2003, 06:11 AM
William
Logistics Pro
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On the right track for sure! I installed new rubber bushings under the core support and cab on my 66 and that really made a difference. Have a look at the rear of the truck around the bed mounts and rear spring shackles. On these trucks you will get a lot of vibration through the steering column and there is nothing you can do about that.

Old 03-28-2003, 01:12 PM
Jim Larson
Junior User

Just another suggestion. I know it sounds as if you have redone or at least someone has redone the front end, but I would double check the front spring shackles as well. I also have a '63 and wondered all over the road and did all the replacement stuff to the front that appears to have been done on yours. As I was tearing the front down, I was really suprised at the slop in the front shackles. I must have had at least 1/2" movement between the spring and shackles. Still rides like a truck, but at least it steers where I point it.
Jim

Old 04-07-2003, 08:55 PM
Bikeitswift
Senior User

Thanks for the advice on the front core (or radiator) support. I replaced those last night and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! All the rattles and crashes are gone! Now on to the other little noises I can now hear. Thanks again!