Arkansas Chapter Join Chapter Leader: Kramercd

Plans for the long weekend?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 05:25 AM
jgoodman6891
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zhilton
Ok, ok..everyones a commedian around here anymore; clearly I need to recruit a couple of 6.0L guys to join the chapter. I knew I'd come up with something...just took me a bit to realize this. Joe I'm not sure if you've noticed or not; but most of the parts/upgrades Clay carries at RiffRaff are for the 7.3L. I'd say 75%-80% are specific to the 7.3L...not the 6.0L, sounds like the 7.3L has some flaws and needs quite the support to keep up with the 6.0L powered trucks

(putting on his big-boy pants; waiting for the next round)

Correct me if Im wrong but didnt the 7.3 get put in trucks for a good decade before the emission crap kicked in & got replaced with the 6.0 which only lasted what, 3 or 4 years before getting replaced?

So..... 7.3 lasted 10 years then emission crap kicked in & was replaced by the 6.0 that only lasted a few years...... Ya, you have have that 6.0leaker.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:14 AM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts
Yip, like I said...must be a weaker motor. Got a guy in Oregon that's built up a good operation/company "helping" improve the 7.3LYour not helping me in my crusade Clay.
Lol, sorry about that.

Originally Posted by jgoodman6891
Correct me if Im wrong but didnt the 7.3 get put in trucks for a good decade before the emission crap kicked in & got replaced with the 6.0 which only lasted what, 3 or 4 years before getting replaced?

So..... 7.3 lasted 10 years then emission crap kicked in & was replaced by the 6.0 that only lasted a few years...... Ya, you have have that 6.0leaker.
7.3L ran 94.5-03 and the 6.0L ran 03-07. If you dig into the 6.0L and remove the emissions crap it isnt too bad though. I would still own it over a gasser

Old 05-31-2011, 09:28 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, ok..everyones a commedian around here anymore; clearly I need to recruit a couple of 6.0L guys to join the chapter. I knew I'd come up with something...just took me a bit to realize this. Joe I'm not sure if you've noticed or not; but most of the parts/upgrades Clay carries at RiffRaff are for the 7.3L. I'd say 75%-80% are specific to the 7.3L...not the 6.0L, sounds like the 7.3L has some flaws and needs quite the support to keep up with the 6.0L powered trucks

(putting on his big-boy pants; waiting for the next round)
I have had the 6.0 and the 6.4 and although they were fun to drive I spent a ton of money on repairs, that was however before I found FTE, which I would not be afraid to buy another 6.0 at all, with the knowledge I have learned perusing their forums. A decently tuned 7.3 is a great reasonably reliable rig, fun to work on and a work horse really. The 6.0 they are just fun IMO, as long as you have that 4-5k in a savings account for the What if's.

Clay gets nearly all of my business, he does carry alot and it started like he said in specializing in the 7.3, he has found this niche in the market and will continue to be successful because of his Great customer service. Even though I might be able to source the same product through researching vendors and their sources, it is far easier for me to pay someone a little premium for going through the effort and not making a fortune off the little guys that don't know how to source. For that and his great customer service, I hope to continue to be able to support Clay as I hope many of you do too. I'm sure his business will adapt with the needs as necessary.

BTW, for the long weekend, I towed a 10,00lb Mustang Excavator to my parents, dug a 16 X 32ft hole to install a fiberglass pool, started filling it this morning. Alot of work, wish my long weekend could have been spent in it, but with all of the rains this was the only weekend we could get to it. But it will be nice in the next weekends to come to relax in.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:02 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boy have we this one....
Originally Posted by jgoodman6891

So..... 7.3 lasted 10 years then emission crap kicked in & was replaced by the 6.0 that only lasted a few years...
The first Powerstroke was '94.5 as Clay pointed out. The fuel system on the PSD 7.3L was a licensed version of CAT's HUEI system. The first couple of years of the HUEI powered kitty cats were rough until everyone figured some of the stupid little things they'd do going the road...(having flash backs to sitting on the side of the road with a 3196 too many times). Anyway, effective 1/01/03 our "friends" in the EPA with ideas curiosity of the clowns in CA changed the emissions standards. The 7.3L couldn't meet those standards...thus the 6.0L was designed; and rushed into production if you ask me. I've long been an advocate the theory the 6.0L was pushed to the limits of it's design from the get go (250hp in a school bus; 325hp in a 3/4 truck...). With that said, the 7.3L and 6.0L are apples & oranges from each other. Now I like to give a couple 7.3L guys a load of crap; but the 7.3L has a few advantages. Just keep in mind...the 6.0L makes more HP & torque off the showroom floor, get slightly better fuel economy (most of them anyway) and does all this with a smaller displacement.The reason the 6.0L was pulled effect 1/01/08 is because it couldn't meet the Tier 2 (or is it 3?) that went into effect. Just like the 7.3L back in '02. From what I've been reading off & on about the 6.7L...Ford just might have a powerhouse on their hands. You think I'm obnoxious...wait until Jeff takes delivery of that '11 F350 6.7L powered KR he ordered last Friday. (Yeah, I drug your name through the mud)
Originally Posted by Riffraff Performance
Lol, sorry about that.
I'll let it slide this time. Next time I might have to send Lisa after ya'
If you dig into the 6.0L and remove the emissions crap it isnt too bad though. I would still own it over a gasser
In the SD...AMEN!
Originally Posted by BigAlsPSD
BTW, for the long weekend, I towed a 10,00lb Mustang Excavator to my parents, dug a 16 X 32ft hole to install a fiberglass pool,
Now that's a swimming hole! I think some of you guys are confusing Memorial Day with Labor Day...which doesn't mean your supposed to work twice as hard...by the way. Who builds/owns Mustang? They sort of look like Bobcat's color scheme. Good to see you back on here Allan.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:16 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Any of you guys going to make it to RRE?

Old 05-31-2011, 10:33 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Have no idea what you are talking about

Old 05-31-2011, 11:13 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Riffraff East is a GTG in Newport, TN we put on every year for all the Powerstroke/FTE guys.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:45 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Now that's a swimming hole! I think some of you guys are confusing Memorial Day with Labor Day...which doesn't mean your supposed to work twice as hard...by the way. Who builds/owns Mustang? They sort of look like Bobcat's color scheme. Good to see you back on here Allan.
Mustang is called Mustang/Cat it is similar to a bobcat yes, like a Mini-Trackhoe(Excavator) I have been on here, just usually look through the forum briefly then back to the 7.3 Forum. Keep hoping one of the wrenching weekends or GTG's lands where I can make it. RRE as Clay pointed out is a relatively large GTG from the last couple of years worth of threads and pics I've seen seems like a blast. I still do not have a firm commitment to attend this year but would love to. Should be drags and Dynos for those who want and alot of BSing and wrenching for others.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:03 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Riffraff East is a GTG in Newport, TN we put on every year for all the Powerstroke/FTE guys.
Well, if it's for Powerstrokes, count me out! Wouldn't have one if it was given to me

Old 06-02-2011, 09:05 PM
tojoski
Posting Guru
I considered it, it's about an 8.5 hour drive from here.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:43 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Originally Posted by tojoski
I considered it, it's about an 8.5 hour drive from here.
Perfect, the truck should be about warmed up when you pull in

Only 45 hours from here

We might be coming through Arkansas maybe we can meet up for the last day of our drive.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:48 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAlsPSD
Mustang is called Mustang/Cat it is similar to a bobcat yes, like a Mini-Trackhoe(Excavator) I have been on here, just usually look through the forum briefly then back to the 7.3 Forum. Keep hoping one of the wrenching weekends or GTG's lands where I can make it.
I remember seeing the LGP/rubber tracked skid-steer loaders a couple of years ago...and thinking to myself that looks allot like a Bobcat product. Don't be a stranger int he BS thread, there usually some "interesting" topics discussed in there.
I'd love to, I just don't have the vacation time this year. With a wedding & family reunion planned, I've managed to book my "free time" for this year. Seems like I read y'all have it at an RV park right off I-40...or was that last years?
Originally Posted by mechmagcn
Well, if it's for Powerstrokes, count me out! Wouldn't have one if it was given to me
Aw, come one Jeff...you know you love 'em. Besides, to qoute the kids of this generation...don't be a hater.
Only 45 hours from here
Might need two cups of coffee to make that trip.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:18 AM
1996pwrstrk
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by mechmagcn
You would take it, pull the Stroke out and find something more .....ah ah ..... Original or Unique to power your Ford.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:40 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Well after a a short delay I finally got the swap running and the A/C chillin'. Here' s a shot of the A/C installed (ignore the temporary vents, a center console and dash extension are in the works) and the temps blowing out the vents

Attached Images   
Old 06-05-2011, 04:32 AM
mudder460
Posting Guru
Very nice Jeff. Can't wait to see it finished!

Quick Reply: Plans for the long weekend?