6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

"CLEANING EXHAUST FILTER" NOW STAYING ON

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 07:41 PM
Ian123
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by galaxie641
Tell me a "manual regen" isn't them turning it on and letting the truck idle. Would make sense why my LOM reads around 3-4 every time I get the truck back from the dealer, also explains all the oil it makes.
The probably put it on high idle (1200 rpm)

Old 05-28-2011, 10:38 PM
03SD6L
Freshman User
Hi guys this is what i noticed with the latest flash. Today i got the message "drive to clean exhaust" so i took the truck on the highway then the "cleaning exhaust" came on and stayed on for the whole cleaning, when it finished the message saying the exhaust cleaning is finished came on. So maybe when it goes into a full regen now it stays on, had a lot of passive regen that the cleaning exhaust message came on for about 4-5 seconds and you don't see anything once it complete.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:54 PM
Super08
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since I got flashed last week mine no longer shows when it is in regen. I am so used to it I can tell. I am not sure if it is a sound I pick up on or what as I even notice in cruise when it kicks in. a quick glance down confirms it by the low boost pressure. A system check also confirms.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:20 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by 03SD6L
Hi guys this is what i noticed with the latest flash. Today i got the message "drive to clean exhaust" so i took the truck on the highway then the "cleaning exhaust" came on and stayed on for the whole cleaning, when it finished the message saying the exhaust cleaning is finished came on. So maybe when it goes into a full regen now it stays on, had a lot of passive regen that the cleaning exhaust message came on for about 4-5 seconds and you don't see anything once it complete.
You were not passively regening. What happened is because the message normally just stays on a few seconds, there is no way to tell when finished unless you cycle thru the screens. So after so many of the regen imcompletes it gave you the "Drive to Clean" one.

This is the problem with the lastest flashes. It would be better to show the message all the time.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:26 AM
Super08
Posting Guru
I think ford took the full time msg away to try and cut down on how often some people see their trucks regen. Maybe they can slip some through without people noticing and cut down on complaints.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:47 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
You were not passively regening. What happened is because the message normally just stays on a few seconds, there is no way to tell when finished unless you cycle thru the screens. So after so many of the regen imcompletes it gave you the "Drive to Clean" one.

This is the problem with the lastest flashes. It would be better to show the message all the time.
Sennix I hesitate to say this because you always seem to know what you are talking about but, my one and only "DRIVE TO CLEAN" came at the end of a two or so hour run on the interstate up the mountain into cheyenne WY. I never have been able to account for why it did that. On that same trip I had two "CLEANING" messages that stayed on, just like the two that caused me to start this post. All of these abberations happened while towing my heavy (17,000 +/-) trailer. but that may not mean anything as I seldom drive it when I'm not towing. I'm thinking there is some kind of small bug in my program. Otherwise, it doesn't make sense.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:50 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
Stanley, you maybe right on the bug in the programming. I would say that is more the case then now..wonder if they are using windows vista?

I just think in the post above it was probably more of because of incompletions.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:25 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
wonder if they are using windows vista?
LOL

Old 05-29-2011, 02:45 PM
Ian123
Posting Guru
I have Vista and dont see why everyone hates it, although it comes out with updates almost as often as the re-flashes for the 6.4. Maybe there is a connection lol

Old 05-29-2011, 03:33 PM
03SD6L
Freshman User
i get the "cleaning filter" message about every 200-400 km, i take the truck on the highway and drive it until the message does not come up, this is going through the message screen hitting the set up button then reset and when the cleaning filter message is not shown any longer (about 20-30 km) the cycle is complete. You get the Drive to clean exhaust message any where between 2000-4000 km that is a full regen. That is what a Ford tech told me when i got the flash before the latest flash he alos printed out how that flash worked, i'll see if i can find it and post it. Now what is see happening with my first Drive to clean exhaust since the new flash is that it stays on for the entire cleaning and you get the message at the end that the filter is clean.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:12 PM
MexicanScaper987
Postmaster
Since my truck has been flashed, it seems to be cleaning itself more often as well. The message does not stay on during the duration though but I kinda wish it did. I always try to run the truck until its finished and it would sure make it easier to monitor.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:29 AM
kl817
New User
No message when cleaning

Since the update it no longer says cleaning exhaust. There has always been a distinctive odor when it is cleaning. Now the only way I can tell that it is cleaning is by the odor. It never last long either. Is anyone else getting the odor, or do I have some kind of leak while it is cleaning?

Old 05-31-2011, 01:47 PM
Super08
Posting Guru
I never smell anything unless I am outside right after stopping.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:31 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by kl817
Since the update it no longer says cleaning exhaust. There has always been a distinctive odor when it is cleaning. Now the only way I can tell that it is cleaning is by the odor. It never last long either. Is anyone else getting the odor, or do I have some kind of leak while it is cleaning?
If you watch for it I think you will find that the CLEANING EXHAUST FILTER message comes up on your message center for just a few seconds when the regen starts. It is easy to miss. Also, when you suspect you are in regen you can verify it by pushing the middle button on the message center and then the top button. The message center will go through the normal checks and at the end display the cleaning exhaust filter message. And, yes if you are smelling the exhaust in the cab either in regen or not there is something wrong. Based on comments on here I would say it will be difficult to get the dealer to fix it but there is something wrong.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:31 AM
aquaman
Posting Guru
I think the algorithm that runs the regens is not just based off a simple pressure differential across the DPF. It likely takes in account how much air mass is supposedly moving though the engine as well.

I once made a run with the back loaded up the I-5 Grapevine with 25psi boost most of the way just to be welcomed with a regen right after I got over the top and shortly after I let off the throttle. Nice... instead of squirting in a little more fuel on the way up on a hot engine, it chose to do it on light throttle on the way downhill. Similar thing happened on another trip up I80 leaving Reno going toward Sacramento.

Quick Reply: "CLEANING EXHAUST FILTER" NOW STAYING ON