6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Why is my truck now Regen'ing everyday?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 07:21 PM
ETKMS
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is my truck now Regen'ing everyday?

I never had an issue with my truck and regens. I got then about every 150 of regular driving non towing consistently. Everytime I fill up my tank I reset my trip indicator, and now I have about 4 regens in a 400 mile period. After my first fill up, i got one around 170 something miles. (Normal). Then the other day i got one at about 250miles or so. Then yesterday i got one at 330miles and today i got one AGAIN at 390 miles....... All the miles i am quoting are from my trip computer after a fill up..

Basically, in a total of 390 miles my truck regened a total of 4 times which NEVER happened before. It was actually 3 days straight for the last 3 of them. And the last one only happened about 60 miles after the other one?

Should I plan a trip to the dealer? Can this be a DPF issue?? My driving was nothing out of the blue, its my usual mix of street and highway driving, but no traffic...

Old 04-27-2011, 08:07 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,014 Posts
not a dpf issue, but maybe sensor related. There is a senor fore and aft of the dpf. Maybe those are out of wack.

Other issues could be an overfueling condition.

So I would say they need to check for both ideas.

Be sure to provide that log so they have something to work off of..one for the SA and leave one on the seat for the tech so when the SA throws his away the tech still has something to go on.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:13 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
maybe you got some crap fuel?

Old 04-27-2011, 08:13 PM
ETKMS
Elder User
Originally Posted by senix
not a dpf issue, but maybe sensor related. There is a senor fore and aft of the dpf. Maybe those are out of wack.

Other issues could be an overfueling condition.

So I would say they need to check for both ideas.

Be sure to provide that log so they have something to work off of..one for the SA and leave one on the seat for the tech so when the SA throws his away the tech still has something to go on.
What do you mean by overfueling condition?

I forgot to mention, at 335 miles i filled up the tank full, but that should have nothing to do with this.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:14 PM
ETKMS
Elder User
Originally Posted by slowmans
maybe you got some crap fuel?
If so I just got another full batch of it.... I filled up at the same Hess i usually go to.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:33 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
I get what you're saying but I would not be so quick to rule out the DPF. It's not as likely as some other issues, but a DPF will start to experience shorter and shorter durations between regenerations as it starts to get full of ash.

I remember Joel(ruschejj) posted a couple times that he was concerned about his DPF because of the amount of regens he was experiencing compared to how it was when the truck was new.

The DPF should last 150,000+ miles, but the life can be drastically shortened by other malfunctions.

I'm not saying that I think his problem is the DPF, but it's certainly possible.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:55 AM
ETKMS
Elder User
With the thought of bad fuel now in my head, it had me thinking. I never used any sort of fuel additive before. The truck now has 52k miles on it, and i bought it with 43k. I highly doubt the previous owner ever used it too. I never believed in any sort of additives, but then i never had a diesel before this either. Do they really help? or is this just a money maker? I was in walmart before, buying oil (motorcraft) to soon do an oil change. And I did not see the motorcraft fuel additive, but i did see the Diesel Kleen, i bought the 16oz bottle, but did not put it in yet. Should I bother? or if i do, should i listen to all the Ford Hype about do not put anything but the motorcraft additive in? I do not want to harm anything with a $5 bottle.....

Thanks....

Old 04-28-2011, 06:29 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by ETKMS
With the thought of bad fuel now in my head, it had me thinking. I never used any sort of fuel additive before. The truck now has 52k miles on it, and i bought it with 43k. I highly doubt the previous owner ever used it too. I never believed in any sort of additives, but then i never had a diesel before this either. Do they really help? or is this just a money maker? I was in walmart before, buying oil (motorcraft) to soon do an oil change. And I did not see the motorcraft fuel additive, but i did see the Diesel Kleen, i bought the 16oz bottle, but did not put it in yet. Should I bother? or if i do, should i listen to all the Ford Hype about do not put anything but the motorcraft additive in? I do not want to harm anything with a $5 bottle.....

Thanks....
Diesel Kleen is great stuff. I used it in every tank on my '08 6.4L truck as well as on my new 6.7L truck. I've read before that Power Service was the OEM for the Motorcraft stuff, but I was never able to verify.

You won't hurt anything by using it. It'll increase the cetane rating of the fuel and could fix your problem.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:51 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,014 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy001
I get what you're saying but I would not be so quick to rule out the DPF. It's not as likely as some other issues, but a DPF will start to experience shorter and shorter durations between regenerations as it starts to get full of ash.

I remember Joel(ruschejj) posted a couple times that he was concerned about his DPF because of the amount of regens he was experiencing compared to how it was when the truck was new.

The DPF should last 150,000+ miles, but the life can be drastically shortened by other malfunctions.

I'm not saying that I think his problem is the DPF, but it's certainly possible.
Tom,

Very true on the DPF.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:42 AM
Gearitis
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have black tailpipes? If you have not used Diesel Kleen, it will help, but my experience is you will need to use it for a few tanks of fuel to see any real help. It may initially give you a "tad" better fuel economy, but after a regiment I have seen some really good results and I assume the Diesel Kleen is the reason.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:05 PM
aquaman
Posting Guru
+1 on DK. Engine runs a tad quieter too.

I also notice if I use truckstop fuel, my regens are more frequent. I once tried Valero fuel and my regens were all over the place. My mpgs are a bit less with those too. I'm now only using Shell or Chevron.

I can only surmise the default cetane level in the name-brands are higher than the standard 40 cetane found elsewhere since that's all that's required.

Another thing is every 5K miles or so, I get these marathon regens that last a lot longer than normal. It's been consistent over the last 15K miles. Not letting it complete seems to make things worse and it'll keep trying to regen as soon as the DPF refills to trigger it again. It's weird--My regens seem to always start on one particular slow route right off the freeway just before I get home, or this one particular slow 5 mile route to the gym/pool right after leaving work at the end of the day, so most of my regens never complete. For incomplete regens, mine will restart after 10-20miles per mile spent in regen before I shut her down; it depends on how much heat it got, I guess.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:02 PM
ETKMS
Elder User
Thanks guys, I will put the entire bottle of the Diesel Kleen in, it says for 40 gallons, but i doubt it will matter right? The Hess i been going to lately (because they are cheaper then the rest), I think i saw a sticker on the pump that said 40 Cetane rating.

I will put this bottle in, and see if my regens go back to what was normal i think before i bring in to the dealer and have them start touching anything.

Also, about my tips, they are not black at all, they are a very nice silver/gray still they could actually pass for new tips on a new truck!

Old 04-30-2011, 08:28 AM
fesstess
New User
I have a new 2010 F350 with less than 1200 miles on her, would it be a good idea for me to start using Diesel Kleen when I fill up? I believe I've only had a couple regens up to this point.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:10 AM
R-T0r21on
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's always a good idea to use a good fuel additive for added lubricity and cetane. Diesel Kleen seems to be very popular since it works reasonable well and you can always find it at any Walmart.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:11 AM
ETKMS
Elder User
Today my truck regen'd for the first time after all the frequest stuff. It did it 122 miles since the last regen. Which is still earlier then the usual 140-170 miles it use to do it. Maybe it was my fuel? who knows... this tank did have the diesel kleen in it i added.... Still is a bit early, but then again, i still had just under half a tank of fuel in the truck. So I went to a different station after the regen, and filled it up with Shell. To maybe dilute the possible bad stuff? Also, i bought from the dealer the Motorcraft fuel additive. Do you guys like that or the diesel kleen better? or is there no different noticed?

Thursday I am taking a 900 mile trip, all open highway driving. So hopefully the exhaust gets a good clean. If it is still frequent after all those miles, and all those fill ups, I will then i guess take it to the dealer.

Quick Reply: Why is my truck now Regen'ing everyday?