Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Superchips Flashpaq Tuner 3875

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 02:45 PM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by wadestreet
Is it really that bad or just not that good? Does it not do what it claims? Like I said before, all Im really looking for is a few extra mpg. The plus of being able to read trouble codes is just extra. I am not looking for huge HP gains or racing or pulling extreme loads. Im just looking to make my truck a little bit better, for an afforadle price. I don't need the ability to load 17 different tunes or have the time or patience to send the chip back everytime i need an upgrade, and certainly don't want to spend even more money on the chip that I can update without having to send back. So here is my bottom line question --I know the Superchips Tuner is not top of the line but is it worth $329 for 4 tunes, the ability to read trouble codes when they occur, view limited live data, and last longer than the warranty hopefully .

The SC that I bought a few years back was only around 120.00. Has the 4 tunes and reads the codes..... don't know what this 'limited live data'....

You will be happy with the SC from what I am reading that you want to do. Going to anything else from a SC has never crossed my mind.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:49 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by wadestreet
I am not looking for huge HP gains or racing or pulling extreme loads. Im just looking to make my truck a little bit better, for an afforadle price.

I don't need the ability to load 17 different tunes or have the time or patience to send the chip back everytime i need an upgrade, and certainly don't want to spend even more money on the chip that I can update without having to send back. So here is my bottom line question --I know the Superchips Tuner is not top of the line but is it worth $329 for 4 tunes, the ability to read trouble codes when they occur, view limited live data, and last longer than the warranty hopefully .
And you won't get it with whatever you do unless you have supporting mods. No chip can give you 300 HP more as a simple add on.

Ah but eventually it will get to that. A bit here and a bit there and pretty soon you will be where you thought you'd never be. That is the problem with people who plan for the "now".

IMO, I don't believe in canned tunes. I will either run the stock tune or get a more custom tune. I think they are a waste of time unless your SOTP dyno tells you that it is good.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:08 PM
wadestreet
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok guys you have convinced me -- I will bite the bullet and order the Super Chips Tuner and will post my reviews.

Thank you for all the pros and cons from everybody

keep up the great posting and advice sending and communications

Thanx - Wade

Old 05-23-2011, 03:32 PM
dothedew192
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
15-16 is hand calculated as well as on my lie-o-meter. its usually within a .2 or .3. last year when i bought it and brought it home it was real dim and was close to my actual mps but then stopped working one day. i took it apart and fixed it, and after a few months the screen burnt up so i just bought a new one. I run my tires 65 psi all the way around and on the fuel saver tune driving with my shifts under 2000 rpms i've seen 16.1 mpgs. 15.5 is average however. Superchips is a beginner level mod. Personally, it was the first thing i bought. it was before i discovered this treasure of a website and heard about dp tuner. It wowed me and I've been hooked on modding my truck since. i did add the 6637 air filter kit after from Riffraff and between the two thats how i get 15.5 mpgs. and finding the sweet spot in my tire pressure.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:51 PM
jwill8957
Senior User
Wadestreet you are in the sae boat as me.
I am looking at the flashpaq as well. Mostly for the same reasons and my dad has an 01 I have an 02 and we can both use the superchip for our trucks to read codes and all that good stuff, or switch it to another truck if we wanted to. I have 35s and Banks exhaust and KN Intake and I dont plan on guages I just want the Superchips for the mileage tune because at 10-12 mpg the lady at the gas station sees me way too much. I dont get why people have to be *******s and bash on superchips because they have DP

Old 05-24-2011, 04:00 PM
VegasFordSD
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by jwill8957
I am looking at the flashpaq as well. Mostly for the same reasons and my dad has an 01 I have an 02 and we can both use the superchip for our trucks to read codes and all that good stuff, or switch it to another truck if we wanted to. I have 35s and Banks exhaust and KN Intake and I dont plan on guages I just want the Superchips for the mileage tune because at 10-12 mpg the lady at the gas station sees me way too much. I dont get why people have to be *******s and bash on superchips because they have DP
Nobody is being an "*******" and bashing superchips, just putting in their $.02.

On a little side note, I ran Superchips in my truck for 4 years prior to my injector upgrade and DP. I liked it, it gave a little more power, saw a slight increase in mileage maybe (nothing to brag about though)... It's handy to be able to pull codes, but now that I have friends with code readers and planning on getting the AE setup anyway, that perk is out the window too. I have seen a way more dramatic increase in fuel econ with my DP (provided I can keep it in the econ tunes and not drive it like I stole it). The switch on the fly programming is handy too, especially with towing.

Good luck to both of you, and all others who are thinking about using Superchips, I hope you have better results in fuel econ than I did. Watch those tranny temps if towing with a SC, mine would shoot up to damn near spontaneous combustion temps when pulling a hill.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:03 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

I dont get why people have to be *******s and bash on superchips because they have DP
Put it this way. Even if I didn't have a DP, I would go with some other custom tuner before I even bothered to think about Superchips, Hyperjunk, Bully Dog, etc, etc. I don't waste my money on "One size fits all".

Old 05-24-2011, 04:10 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This could go both ways. The OP asked for opinions on what we that had the Superchip before thought about it. I don't get why someone has to be *******s and bash the people giving their honest opinions to a question that was asking for our opinion.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:14 AM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
I with Chris on this one. Had bad luck with superchips tuner and chip. But as mentioned this is my opinion and experience. Chet

Old 05-25-2011, 11:22 AM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
This thread needs to be locked....

The color of my truck is tan....it is the best color for the year of '01..... any other color an't worth a hoot....

etc.....

etc....

Old 05-25-2011, 11:24 AM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Bonanza35
I with Chris on this one. Had bad luck with superchips tuner and chip. But as mentioned this is my opinion and experience. Chet
How do you have bad luck with Superchips? It works or there is some sort of failure which can be corrected. FWIW, first time I did anything with Jody, he sent me a PCM that was in a failed state when I installed it. Maybe I did something wrong, maybe in transit it got knocked, maybe it didn't show up bad when he sent it. In any case, these things happen. OTOH, if they have bad customer service when you have a problem, it is a whole different matter.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:57 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have 35s and Banks exhaust and KN Intake and I dont plan on guages
We're not worthy! We're not worthy!

Old 05-25-2011, 07:09 PM
dothedew192
Tuned
I have a superchips tuner i bought last year and have since put 25000 miles on my truck. and i know, it's not custom tuned to my truck and its mods, yet, but it will be, after my new tires get put on. But till then i'm going to stick it out with the superchips tuner just a little longer. I've ridden in a dp custom tuned truck and i was very impressed. I have gauges, monitor my boost, transmission temps as well as my exhaust temps. In those miles I've never had an issue with my truck, i have quite a few mods done to my truck and it's come time to get custom tunes for these mods so i have ordered myself a dp tuner after my truck ride with one a few weeks ago with one. But i must say i Did have a good experience with my superchips flashpaq tuner and never had an issue. however, i did have supporting mods.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:21 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
To the original poster, did you get the Superchips? You said you were getting the 3875. I think that one is for Jeeps. Dont you need the 1805 or 1855?

Old 02-08-2012, 04:51 PM
cory5517
Senior User
He needs the 1805, just got mine yesterday and haven't really played with it.am running the economy tune

Quick Reply: Superchips Flashpaq Tuner 3875