1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

460 timing cover and water pump questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 05:40 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
460 timing cover and water pump questions

Sam and all you other 460 lovers... tapping your knowledge base please...

I have a few specific question on 460 I'm having built..

This was originally a Lincoln engine with front sump pan. I changed to a rear sump pan to have more room for a MII IFS in the '53 .

1. Will the original timing cover match up ok with the rear sump pan... any issues I need to address or do I need a different cover. ??

2. Choice of water pumps ??? stock ford do the job or go with an after market... Edelbrock or such... and I'm assuming replace the rear plate with the new pump, right ??? will I have better cooling/higher flow with an aftermarket vrs stock ford

3. the timing cover had the tube for the dipstick... the rear sump pan has the dip stick tube in the side of the pan... what is the best way to plug this tube hole ??? epoxy ?? metal plug ??

thanks in advance for the help..

john

Old 05-16-2011, 06:11 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
1. My rear sump fox body oil pan worked with the stock cover.

2. Shinny aluminum (high volume?) off eBay, clear coated it. (cheap, maybe northern auto parts, box is on the running board?)

3. a 1/8 brass plug when the cover is tapped, fits somewhat loosely, JB weld is your friend (again).

Attached Images  
Old 05-16-2011, 06:13 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jniolon
Sam and all you other 460 lovers... tapping your knowledge base please...

I have a few specific question on 460 I'm having built..

This was originally a Lincoln engine with front sump pan. I changed to a rear sump pan to have more room for a MII IFS in the '53 .

1. Will the original timing cover match up ok with the rear sump pan... any issues I need to address or do I need a different cover. ??

2. Choice of water pumps ??? stock ford do the job or go with an after market... Edelbrock or such... and I'm assuming replace the rear plate with the new pump, right ??? will I have better cooling/higher flow with an aftermarket vrs stock ford

3. the timing cover had the tube for the dipstick... the rear sump pan has the dip stick tube in the side of the pan... what is the best way to plug this tube hole ??? epoxy ?? metal plug ??

thanks in advance for the help..

john
I changed to the mid sump pan for the volare steering.
1. yes, no problem.. you will have to block off the mechanical fuel pump mount hole if using electric fuel pump.
I bought a late model timing cover without the fuel pump hole or dipstick tube to address this. you could rtv a cap over the tube.

note that the two lower timing cover/oil pan bolts are different on the late model covers vs the earlier model covers..the older ones are larger thread size, the smaller are the same as the rest of the bolts. I don't remember the actual sizes.. the socket is 10mm on the rest, and 13mm on the two front

I used a new high volume water pump and new back cover. some come with the back plate some don't.. this one looks like it does but doesn't mention it.
NEW 429 - 460 HV ALUMINUM Water Pump FOR BB Ford TMD | eBay

they claim high flow, but I have no proof.. but I bought high flow anyhow.
if you followed my overheat thread from a couple summers ago, I don't know that it mattered. they worked great for years without high flow.. same for the oil pump.. actually HV oil pump is considered bad now, unless you have one of the billet pump drive shafts.. cause the torque spikes when the oil galleys are full and can't take any more. I pulled my HV pump out.

Sam

Attached Images  
Old 05-16-2011, 07:39 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
thanks yall.

Sam is that an enduroshine Edelbrock intake ?? I didn't think they made one for a 460... or did you spend a week buffing...

I ordered a standard Performer today... wish I could have found the shiny stuff..

and I love the ball milled covers.... where did you find the pretty stuff ??? all I see is the same old same old that everyone else has

john

Old 05-16-2011, 07:57 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jniolon
thanks yall.

Sam is that an enduroshine Edelbrock intake ?? I didn't think they made one for a 460... or did you spend a week buffing...

I ordered a standard Performer today... wish I could have found the shiny stuff..

and I love the ball milled covers.... where did you find the pretty stuff ??? all I see is the same old same old that everyone else has

john
the manifold is the Weiand 3012C, Weiand 8012C Weiand Stealth Intake Manifolds
I bought it for $200 in 2007.

I'll send u my ball milled covers.., they used to be made by Procomp. I pulled them off for the chrome Ford Racing covers.. the polished covers just weren't competitive with all the chrome in the chevy based engine bays. But I did them cause they were different originally.

I replaced all the polished stuff with chromed.. master, valve covers, and a/c compressor, carb cleaner top. already had chromed alternator.
before and after below

been thinking about changing the A/C rubber hoses to chromed hard lines, with a small braided stainless flex joint.
or the drop spindles and wilwood brakes for the volare instead (course then I have to change the rears and the parking brake cables too).

sam

Attached Images