Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tow hitch question??

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 09:59 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 971 Likes on 767 Posts
Originally Posted by bladez51
The connector I saw is in a different picture. I dont know if I can tap out of it to wire the pigtail or not. Here is the picture:

You can buy a trailer adapter harness from an autoparts store that will plug right into that connector.. I have one on my truck. The factory step bumpers on these F150s are rated for 5000lbs tow and 500lb tongue weight so you're good to go IMO, I have towed similar weights on my bumber no problem.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:42 PM
bladez51
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Conanski
You can buy a trailer adapter harness from an autoparts store that will plug right into that connector.. I have one on my truck. The factory step bumpers on these F150s are rated for 5000lbs tow and 500lb tongue weight so you're good to go IMO, I have towed similar weights on my bumber no problem.

Thanks, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I also ordered a 2" sq. receiver from Amazon Amazon.com: ACME'S Universal Step Bumper Hitch Class III: Automotive
And found a ball mount kit from Northern tool:
hitch receivers from Northern Tool + Equipment
I think I'll either bolt the receiver under the drop in the bumper or have it welded. The ball mount has a drop so that might take care of the high position of the step bumper ball mount,

Correction

I screwed up by not reading further in the manual. It seems that any sort of extension or lowering of the ball position weakens the bumper mount considerably and should not be done. "If it is necessary to relocate the trailer hitch ball position a frame mounted trailer hitch must be installed" Page 230.....

Old 05-17-2011, 07:24 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's the reciever I was talking about earlier, like I said, I wouldnt use it.

Originally Posted by bashby
If you read that last paragraph it starts to talk about added bracketry to lower the ball. Years ago I bought a reciever that bolts to the bottom of the bumper that you could slide in a 2" square hitch to lower the ball down. With the weight behind the bumper like that it flexed the bumper "twisting" it. I could stand on the ball and bounce to see the amount of flex. If the ball is too high I reccomend getting a full bolt to frame type hitch.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:08 AM
nstueve
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bladez51
Correction

I screwed up by not reading further in the manual. It seems that any sort of extension or lowering of the ball position weakens the bumper mount considerably and should not be done. "If it is necessary to relocate the trailer hitch ball position a frame mounted trailer hitch must be installed" Page 230.....
Yeah i have one of those bottom mount hitches... It's ok but I wouldn't waste the $$$ on one. It came with my truck so it was free... I would definatly pony up the dough for a frame mount 2in if you want a 2 in. I honestly think you'll be fine with a 5k 2in ball right on the bumper. Like I said the neck on those car dolly's have a slight bend in them to compensate for a tall bumper. Plus you'll be loaded down making your truck squat a little more.

Originally Posted by Conanski

Yeah I have a couple that are kinda like that except they don't have the extention wire... they just have a 4pin plug right on the coupler.

Also...
Aftermarket tranny coolers are easy enough... There are actually 2 options for around $100.

1.) derale tranny pan: This tranny pan is deep to hold extra fluid and has externally sealed cooling tubes that run through it to help cool the fluid. I myself haven't used one since i own 5spds but someone out there might have. This also gives the added bonus of not having to run tranny cooler lines and putting in a heat exchanger up by the grill.
Derale Cooling Products 14208 Derale Performance Transmission Pans

2.) After market tranny coolers: what can i say it will definatly keep your transmission fluid cooler, but you'll have to put the lines in and install the cooler up front. I'd expect the average back yard mechanic could probably install a cooler in 2-5 hrs depending on how ambitious/prepared you are. If I recall correctly my C6 that I pulled a while bac already had a integrated tranny cooler (ie lines running from tranny up tio radiator). Basically there is a integrated tranny fluid cooler in the radiator. This may or may not be the case with your truck...
B&M SuperCooler Automatic Transmission Cooler

What engine and transmission do you have? Just curious...

Old 05-17-2011, 10:31 AM
bladez51
Senior User
Originally Posted by nstueve
Yeah i have one of those bottom mount hitches... It's ok but I wouldn't waste the $$$ on one. It came with my truck so it was free... I would definatly pony up the dough for a frame mount 2in if you want a 2 in. I honestly think you'll be fine with a 5k 2in ball right on the bumper. Like I said the neck on those car dolly's have a slight bend in them to compensate for a tall bumper. Plus you'll be loaded down making your truck squat a little more.

Yeah I have a couple that are kinda like that except they don't have the extention wire... they just have a 4pin plug right on the coupler.

Also...
Aftermarket tranny coolers are easy enough... There are actually 2 options for around $100.

1.) derale tranny pan: This tranny pan is deep to hold extra fluid and has externally sealed cooling tubes that run through it to help cool the fluid. I myself haven't used one since i own 5spds but someone out there might have. This also gives the added bonus of not having to run tranny cooler lines and putting in a heat exchanger up by the grill.
Derale Cooling Products 14208 Derale Performance Transmission Pans

2.) After market tranny coolers: what can i say it will definatly keep your transmission fluid cooler, but you'll have to put the lines in and install the cooler up front. I'd expect the average back yard mechanic could probably install a cooler in 2-5 hrs depending on how ambitious/prepared you are. If I recall correctly my C6 that I pulled a while bac already had a integrated tranny cooler (ie lines running from tranny up tio radiator). Basically there is a integrated tranny fluid cooler in the radiator. This may or may not be the case with your truck...
B&M SuperCooler Automatic Transmission Cooler

What engine and transmission do you have? Just curious...
I have the 5.0 and the 4 speed (overdrive) AT. I never really thought much about these things (tranny cooling, load ratings, electrical couplers, etc.). It's a funny thing but I have not had to use a pickup truck to tow anything or carry heavy loads in a long time. I am a little ashamed to admit it, but way back in time when I was very young, I did make some moves and towed cars and had to transport heavy things in my various vehicles as well as borrowed ones. I guess I was just lucky or something because I never even thought about all these things and no one ever brought them up to my attention. I once even pulled a low boy with an Austin Healy 3000 on it with a friends truck. It was a very heavy trailer but it all went OK (it might have been a 3/4 ton truck though). Anyway, now that I'm older and I have the internet, I decided to be curious and ask questions. Boy, am I getting an education

Old 05-17-2011, 11:04 AM
nstueve
Postmaster
well speaking of preventative maintence... when was the last time you changed the fluid in your tranny. Most guys can remember the last oil change but when you own a truck especially a 4x4 you have to think about front and rear diff fluid changes, tranny fluid changes, t-case fluid changes (if you have 4x4) all as regular maintence... It might sound a little dumb but you'd be surprised how many guys get on there asking questions about their tranny and thinking they need a rebuild when in fact they havn't changed the fluid in 90K-140K miles, and a fluid and filter change fixes them right up!

I guess I always go with the theory it's better to go a little overboard and prevent things from failing rather than not knowing and taking the chance something won't fail... OR worse yet... wait until something breaks and then fix it...

Your 302 might strain a little to pull the load at 75mph constantly but you'll probably need to shut off the OD on the end of your column shifter or put it in "D" instead of "OD." This will keep you tranny for shifting hard (under weight) between 3rd and 4th alot on the interstate. In fact your factory manual probably tells you to run in "D" under load. Keep in mind running in "D" will run your RPMs up and might cost you some gas, but it's better than a $1700 E40D tranny rebuild. Also "D" will make the tranny work making it get hotter... Thus the reason for tranny cooler or deep pan... If you haven't or can't remember the last tranny fluid change I would suggest the pan option with new fluid filter and just put your 2in ball right on the bumper... This might cost some $$$ but will be well worth it and your truck will love you for the mechanicle upgrade!

Old 05-17-2011, 11:09 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've got a 5x10 box trailer I used to haul motorcycles in and tow with a 98 Cherokee. I added brakes to the trailer (2-300$ from northern tools IIRC) and a controller to the jeep. Working trailer brakes add a LOT of confidence to towing, panic stops without them can be scary when you are towing a lot of weight. This doesnt really apply to a car dolly, just thought I'd throw it out there as general towing advice.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:39 AM
IowanStraight6
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whats your axel code and tranny code on the door sticker make sure if you run a cooler instal a in line thermostate cause running a tranny to cold is bad for it to make sure to bring some tools with you on the trip also i did a 240 one way trip with my 96 in my sig 8 lug car trailer with a lifted ranger position just right so not to much weight was on the toung down the I did it pull.... yes od off slow to get up there 75 you had it burried 70 no issues 65 with hills 3k this engine likes to get worked all the way ill check what i got for milage and get back to you i had a 10mph head wind so that needs to be put into consideration when i got to my location i pulled the tranny stick all stock and it was warm to the touch

Old 05-17-2011, 12:40 PM
nstueve
Postmaster
Originally Posted by IowanStraight6
whats your axel code and tranny code on the door sticker make sure if you run a cooler instal a in line thermostate cause running a tranny to cold is bad for it to make sure to bring some tools with you on the trip also i did a 240 one way trip with my 96 in my sig 8 lug car trailer with a lifted ranger position just right so not to much weight was on the toung down the I did it pull.... yes od off slow to get up there 75 you had it burried 70 no issues 65 with hills 3k this engine likes to get worked all the way ill check what i got for milage and get back to you i had a 10mph head wind so that needs to be put into consideration when i got to my location i pulled the tranny stick all stock and it was warm to the touch
True running a tranny too cool isn't good either b/c the aft might get a little thicker but he's also from GA so I didn't think it would be a problem getting too cool. That's also why I suggest the deep sump pan... Adds extra ATF and helps cool it a little but not as much as a cooler. I have a couple of friends that do towing regularly (like every other day for construction)... They have both put coolers and deep sumps on their 94-97 F350's and had a shift kit put in.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:13 PM
IowanStraight6
Elder User
ga ohh got ya sorry i forgot other places actually dont have real winters coolers are all up to the owner i have a friend who runs all over the US has 15 7.3 and a few 6.0s in the flet and has had transmisions last 250000 to 375000 all stock

Old 05-17-2011, 02:17 PM
nstueve
Postmaster
ga ohh got ya sorry i forgot other places actually dont have real winters coolers are all up to the owner i have a friend who runs all over the US has 15 7.3 and a few 6.0s in the flet and has had transmisions last 250000 to 375000 all stock
the 5.0 e40d/aod he has might not have a stock tranny cooler, but those 6.0's and 7.3 PSDs come with coolers stock.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:20 PM
IowanStraight6
Elder User
what year is it?

Old 05-17-2011, 02:22 PM
nstueve
Postmaster
He never said a year but has to be a 92-96 1/2 ton from his pic.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:24 PM
IowanStraight6
Elder User
hmm my money is on it havin a 4R70W.. O ya my milage was average 7.8mpg

Old 05-17-2011, 02:28 PM
bladez51
Senior User
what year is it?
Originally Posted by nstueve
He never said a year but has to be a 92-96 1/2 ton from his pic.
It's a '94 5.0 AT with overdrive, 78K miles on the clock, runs like a clock.

Well, my education continues... Not only I've thrown $30 out the window buying the hitch receiver that's not recommended, but now I see that all my machinations are for naught

I went to the U-Haul place to get some first hand information about the towing height of the dolly. When I got there, the woman said that U-Haul would not allow towing a dolly with a bumper hitch... I could pull a trailer, but not a dolly. When I asked her about their tow bar for $194 installed, she said she did not know anything about it and that they did not install tow bars. She did admit to selling them and she *thought* they were around $200.

Oh boy! Now I am more frustrated than anything else. If my friend wants me to pull his car to Chicago, I'll have to have a frame mounted tow bar installed for sure. It's going to cost him more money.. He might be better off to sell his stuff in Atlanta and drive his car to Chitown (with 4 cats in the car) and just buy some new stuff there.

I think I will buy a 2" ball and put it in the bumper mount so I can pull a trailer if I should ever need to.

Last edited by bladez51; 05-17-2011 at 02:45 PM. Reason: add signature

Quick Reply: Tow hitch question??