Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

cooling system nightmare HELP!!!!!

Old 05-13-2011, 06:40 PM
str8sixman
Senior User
str8sixman is starting off with a positive reputation.
cooling system nightmare HELP!!!!!

Truck runs great gauge never gets hot , but you drive for more than 15 20 mind then shut it off, its ok for a minute then the coolant starts to boil. I hear and feel it bubbling in the upper hose. Rad was plugged so I replaced it as well as motorcraft thermostat and motorcraft coolant. Its still doing it. Coolant level doesn't drop I topped off once when I first test drove after rad replacement. Its making me mad and Im scared its something real bad like a head gasket.....please offer any advice experience or guesses, ill listen to anything!!!! 93 4.9 e4od 2wd

Old 05-13-2011, 08:07 PM
Duct Tape Racing
Elder User
Duct Tape Racing is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Did you install the thermostat that correct way? the spring shold go into the block. Ive installed it bckwards before and it made the gurgle noise

Hope this helps! Just a suggestion

Old 05-13-2011, 08:09 PM
str8sixman
Senior User
Its in spring to block and weep hole pointed up, I triple checked that one

Old 05-13-2011, 08:18 PM
Duct Tape Racing
Elder User
Duct Tape Racing is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yeah and for the life of me i always forget or second guess myself.

My other thought is that since you just recently replaced all that stuff, there are air pockets escaping from the system.

Pressure test your Radiator cap as well

Also, fire your truck up and spray starting fluid around your head gasket, if it idles up, you have a bad head gasket.

Its all about diagnosis!

Old 05-13-2011, 08:22 PM
ostrx250
Senior User
ostrx250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
you need to put a gauge on it also to verify the temp. does the motor take 15 min to get to operating temp??? take the rad cap off and start the truck let it idle and wait for it to act up if its a head gasket then you should be able to tellwhat cyl by pulling the plugs one at a time keep us informed at what you find
oh and it could be just a worn waterpump thats not moving the coolant very well seen it in a few cars

Old 05-13-2011, 09:50 PM
str8sixman
Senior User
Well im beginning to wonder since the rad was plugged could the water pump be shot?

Old 05-14-2011, 04:02 AM
patman247
Elder User
patman247 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.patman247 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
its possible, very possible

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.