1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Front suspension options

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 05:47 PM
Pappys53
Laughing Gas
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Front suspension options

I saw a post that I cannot find now about the possibility of using suspension off chevy c10. Has anyone here looked at this option? If I stay with straight axle is it neccesary to move the axle forward the 11/4 inches? This will determine what I use for the front springs?

Old 05-12-2011, 07:45 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
Don't know anything about Chevy suspension, but I can tell you it's not necessary to relocate the original axle. That is a modification done strictly for asthetics, as the factory missed the boat as far as centering the wheel in the wheel opening. The custom springs available takes care of that issue.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:18 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Pappys53
I saw a post that I cannot find now about the possibility of using suspension off chevy c10. Has anyone here looked at this option? If I stay with straight axle is it neccesary to move the axle forward the 11/4 inches? This will determine what I use for the front springs?
The C-10 suspension swap has been around for years but it's not very popular because you can't get the truck very low and it still rides like a truck after you have it installed. Don't waste your time on it....

Old 05-21-2011, 09:33 AM
Pappys53
Laughing Gas
I am still trying to find some information about a c10 swap into 53-56 f100s. I know as GreatNorthWoods said it could still ride like a truck. Well it is a truck. Even with the MIIs it does not ride like a car. As far as getting low, I am only looking for maybe a 2 to 3 inch drop.I do not want mine down in the weeds. I want about a half to one inch space between the top of the tires and the fender lip. They make drop spindles for lowering these front ends on the C10 so they should help to get it down if I need to go lower from the stock height once it is on my truck.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:03 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
C-10 suspensions are pretty bulky....but yes they do bolt to the frame. I would find a C-10 and look it over. Do some measuring. I'm pretty sure the track width is too wide for an effie, not positive though.
Personally, I wouldn't use it....the Jag setup looks better to me. My 2 cents.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:23 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
I am still trying to find some information about a c10 swap into 53-56 f100s. I know as GreatNorthWoods said it could still ride like a truck.... I am only looking for maybe a 2 to 3 inch drop.I do not want mine down in the weeds. I want about a half to one inch space between the top of the tires and the fender lip.
That seems like an awful lot of work, hassle and expense for such little gain. You could gain the same thing with some simple reverse-eye leaf springs and be done in an afternoon, with a fraction of the labor and cost.

My 2c.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:06 AM
Pappys53
Laughing Gas
My first thought was keeping the straight axle getting springs from M50 that lowers it and moves the axle forward. I believe my king pins need replaced. I remember that I had to do that on my 54 I used to own. A friend helped me and it was a lot of work. Do you gain that much of a ride difference to go to the expense of a MII suspension swap? I am leaning that way because there is no cutting of the frame so you keep all the mounting points? How does the jag install? Does anyone have a good picture of their install so I can see how it looks?

Old 05-22-2011, 08:54 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My first thought was keeping the straight axle getting springs from M50 that lowers it and moves the axle forward. I believe my king pins need replaced. I remember that I had to do that on my 54 I used to own. A friend helped me and it was a lot of work. Do you gain that much of a ride difference to go to the expense of a MII suspension swap? I am leaning that way because there is no cutting of the frame so you keep all the mounting points? How does the jag install? Does anyone have a good picture of their install so I can see how it looks?
I was helping a friend on this topic and he decided to go with the monoleaf reverse eye springs.(5in drop from stock) He found some on craigslist.. and then found some closer to him for roughly the same price.
1/2 price vs new. so $200 for a set of fronts. the seller emailed me yesterday that the fronts were still available

Sam

Old 05-22-2011, 02:57 PM
Pappys53
Laughing Gas
I have seen mention of dakota front suspension. Does the truck frame need to be cut or does the suspension parts unbolt from the dakota frame? Someone close to me is selling a 88 dakota front suspension and frame.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:26 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
I don't believe that you will find any IFS modification that will not require modification in the way of drilling and welding to install. The easiest is to rebuild the stock setup which you felt was a lot of work. I installed the Jag in my 49 which I consider to be amongst the easiest, however that is a lot more work than a stock rebuild ( I have rebuilt stock front ends in the past). The jag fit to the 53 and newer frames is a bit more difficult than the 52 and earlier due to the difference in front frame rail width (34" vs. 32"). Pictures of the Jag in my 49 are in my gallery.
Installation of any IFS will also require non trivial modification of the steering column or a different steering column. Neither of these options will be bolt ins.
If you are going to pay a shop to install an IFS, the MII is probably the best bet since it is the most common and most rod shops have installed the MII in a number of vehicles.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:00 PM
Pappys53
Laughing Gas
49willard I know there is some modification required. Just looking for options that might be easier than another. I really have thought hard about keepin the stock setup but others have said it could be just as expensive if not more then ifs. Most people I talk too say I should put some sort of ifs on it so I am look at all the options.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:03 AM
Ziegelsteinfaust
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You could section the C10 front clip to gain some ground clearence, and beautify the front end a bit.

I looked in too the C10 front end and while a viable choice for cost, performance, work value, and upgradibility. It does take some work for it to clear the way GM did things vs the way Ford did things. That big obsticle would be using a rear-sump oil pan.

Look in too the Jaguar IFS swap if you wanna run traditional 15's. Its a bit expensive compared to the re-placement parts cost of the GM clip, but it is a viable alternative. The only down side is trusting british engineering.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:26 AM
arrowheadfred
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 51 sure rides good with the MII .

Old 05-24-2011, 07:35 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
I looked at your gallery. If it is the same truck, you have already done the toyota power steering conversion. IMHO you are more than 1/2 way done. I would do king pins and tie rod ends. That said, if you really want the truck lower with disc brakes an IFS becomes more appealing since a drop axle, new springs and a disc brake setup does start to add up. A lot depends if you would tackle an IFS install yourself or would pay to have it installed. I have not done a MII (I did do my Jag) but if you had it done it might be a challenge to keep the $ south of $4 K particularly if you need significant steering column work. My Jag install including the cost of the used IFS, all new suspension and brake parts and the steering column work probably represents about $1K. That said, I rebuilt my own 4 puck calipers and did not replace the original rack.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:25 AM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
I saw a post that I cannot find now about the possibility of using suspension off chevy c10 ?
I get the feeling you are not sure which way to go?

Have you read this 12 part post about front suspension options? (Post # 12).

From the steering and suspension section – ( all 12 parts of our front suspension series) –
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...-articles.html

I used a M II, I like it, but it’s a pretty major project and I think your best option would be a dropped sold axle with all new components, it is a bolt in and the least expensive, disc brakes can be installed now or at a latter date.

Quick Reply: Front suspension options