1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

custom emblems

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 04:25 PM
tardster
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
custom emblems

Ok guys n gals, after all the waiting and being put on alert for the flooding I was able to get the custom emblems back. I have to say water-jetting stuff is so much nicer than using the plasma cutter. Tru from direct waterjet is awesome, she is very nice and was smart enuff to get me what I wanted from my poor "ms paint design". It took less than a week to ship her the material (cause I'm a cheap skate) get it cut and get it back to me. I couldn't be happier with the results, in fact I'm going to go through her to get the ford script re-cut for the new tailgate I'm working on. If anyone else is in need of a place to get this type of stuff done for their truck, give her a call (815-451-3464) or check out their website http://directwaterjet.com/index.php Here are a couple pics of the emblems they did for me.

This shows the paper design I came up with in microsoft paint and the actual emblem direct waterjet cut out for me...

This one shows the actual size of the emblems...

and this one just shows what it would look like on the hood, its just sitting on top of the hood but you get the idea. I have the dash that goes between the F-100 I just didn't want to take a chance of losing it so thats why I left it out of the pics. Hope ya like...

Old 05-12-2011, 07:03 PM
Big IV
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet looking. How are you going to mount that?

Old 05-12-2011, 07:11 PM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
Very nice.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:24 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts
Sweet... Are you going to powder coat it, chrome it or what?

Old 05-12-2011, 10:13 PM
tardster
Elder User
I have 3 of the emblems so I have 1 to do all the testing on. The plan is first to try drilling some holes in certain areas and put small bolt in it without the head of the bolt sticking up about half way through the emblem. Once that is done I will weld the top of it and grind it down nice and smooth and then paint them. Its kind of hard to explain so I used my awesome ms paint skills to guide myself when I do this, hopefully you guys will understand the pic better than my explanation. I will take pics as I'm doing it to show you how I did it. Since I'm doing the 2tone paint scheme a dark charcoal grey and a dark garnet red I was thinking of doing the emblems in a cream-ish color or something like that...

Old 05-13-2011, 12:51 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,934 Likes on 1,876 Posts
Tard,

I like it! I think its going to look great. What did it cost to have the three emblems cut out? (if you don't mind sharing)

A big round of frosty beverage in your honor for your innovative ideas
Bobby

Old 05-13-2011, 01:19 PM
tardster
Elder User
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Tard,

I like it! I think its going to look great. What did it cost to have the three emblems cut out? (if you don't mind sharing)

A big round of frosty beverage in your honor for your innovative ideas
Bobby
Bobby, I don't mind sharing that info. It was $22.39 per emblem for a total of $67.17 plus $7.83 to cover $75 minimum cutting charge and then $24 bucks for the overnight shipping for a total of $99.15 I'm sure if someone wanted they could save some on the shipping and Tru gave me a Vet discount so I didn't have to pay the $35 set up fee...

Old 05-13-2011, 01:29 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Couldn't they have blasted the holes with the water jet?

Old 05-13-2011, 02:13 PM
tardster
Elder User
Originally Posted by Moe Craig
Couldn't they have blasted the holes with the water jet?
Yes they could have but I didn't know what size bolts I was going to use cause I hadn't thought that far ahead... lol

Old 05-13-2011, 05:17 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

LOL... an't that always the case... keep us informed on progress... Looks great once again...

Old 05-13-2011, 06:48 PM
tardster
Elder User
Ok heres a quick update and "how I did it". heres some pics off the process I used, hope ya'll like...

I went to Ace Hardware and got 1" 6-32 machine screws, nuts and washers. They were the biggest ones I could use.

I held the emblem up against the side of the hood where they go and marked where I needed to put a bolt on it to keep it nice and tight against the hood.

Once it was marked I drilled the holes and held it back up against the hood so I knew where to drill the holes in the hood itself.

Now its time to cut the head off of the machine screws, there are 10 in each emblem.

This was the real "fun" part. I had to figure out a way to hold the bolt, keep the emblem in place while I used both hands to use the welder. It was a simple thing to do, the bad part was the time I wasted until I figured it out. lol

All I had to do was to weld all of those in place.

This is what it looked like once I had them all welded up.

The next step was to smooth down the weld areas, prime and paint.

This is what it looks like on the hood, its not on tight yet and I haven't finished the dash's but I have to finish the hood before I can do that. Hope ya'll like...

Old 05-14-2011, 03:35 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,934 Likes on 1,876 Posts
Tard,

Again, excellent innovation. It looks great. It just goes to show you what you can do if you put your mind to it

The pricing doesn't sound too bad, heck, $100 for something truly unique is a bargain

Nicely done
Bobby

Old 05-14-2011, 04:04 PM
ssj7kids
Elder User
Absolutely Fantastic...
AND thanks for all the step by step PIX...
Love creativity....
Great Job....

Old 05-15-2011, 05:42 AM
tardster
Elder User
Thanks guys, I was hoping I wasn't the only one who liked the idea of them...

Old 05-15-2011, 10:59 PM
kjdungan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks very nice. A little off topic, but the little cross on the F's look like the cancer ribbons. You could try to market this idea back to Ford. Again, very nice.

Quick Reply: custom emblems