6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

I Need Honest Answers About Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 03:20 PM
mhbell
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question I Need Honest Answers About Maintenance

I need some honest answers about Maintenance on my 2007 F250 Lariat Super Duty 2WD CC with 6.0L PSD. I purchased this truck From a Dodge Dealer so have no records as to what has been done maintenance wise to the truck. The truck is very clean and shows no kind of wear of any kind. It has 68000 miles on it which is a little high for a 07. It was used for pulling a 5<sup>th</sup> wheel trailer and has air bags on rear axle. I bought it to tow my Jayco Designer 35 ft 5<sup>th</sup> wheel. I have towed about 500 miles with it so far and have not had any problems and love the power especially when going up hills. This is the first diesel pickup truck that I have ever owned. After reading all that I could in the forum about problems and required maintenance. I got worried that maybe I made a mistake. If I would have went in this forum before I bought the truck I would have bought a dodge instead, although I have always favored fords.

Today I went to the ford dealers and got a oasis check which showed, No recalls or outstanding things that needed to be done. They did find that it had a new grill replaced when it had 28,000 miles on it. I asked if and when it would need major service and was told the next major service would be due at 90,000 miles if the 60,000 mile service had been performed. They had no record of the 60,000 service being performed. So I have no way of knowing if it was performed by previous owner or not. The Dealer wants $950.00 to do the major 60,000 mile service. This would include, lube, oil, filter, grease job, flush transmission, flush fuel system, de carbonize intake and cylinders, flush cooling system, flush power steering, brake fluid flush, replace fuel filters, and replace air filter, and rotate tires.

Are all of these things necessary? Do you do all of these things or have them done to your vehicles? I know the lube oil and filter are, But all of these flush Items?? I do not race or hot rod and the truck will be driven less than 7,500 miles a year pulling my fifth wheel to Texas and back every year for a couple of months a 2,800 mile round trip and maybe 1,000 miles while there. The rest of the time a couple of 1,400 mile trips. We have another vehicle which we drive all of the time so the truck sits most of the time. I start it up and drive it once every few weeks to exercise it and keep the batteries charged. I am sorry this is so Long, But I really would like to know and have an honest opinion.
TIA
Mel

Old 05-10-2011, 03:38 PM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would change all fluids in the truck along with filters making sure the filters are OEM or made by the OEM companies. This way you have a start point for future maintenance. All this would cost around $400 including a coolant flush.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:22 PM
exiled
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mel, the airfilter system has a gauge to tell you when you need to change the airfilter. Its right behind the airbox between it and the degas bottle. So I wouldn't change it unless it says its time. Ford says to change the fuel filters on 15k miles so it lands on 60k so would change it. I change my oil on 7500 miles again lands on 60k I would change it. Tranny 30k so I would do that.
Here's where its tricky you don't know if the truck was used to launch boats or drove thru floods so I would see about the gear oils. Don't forget to check the brakes. You can do the all the work yourself and save a lot of money. You listed several things I've haven't heard yet. I wish I was at my truck to look em up in the manual. There's some nice manuals on how to do this stuff here.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:51 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by mhbell
If I would have went in this forum before I bought the truck I would have bought a dodge instead, although I have always favored fords.
Well, ya sure know how to make friends around here.

The Dealer wants $950.00 to do the major 60,000 mile service. This would include, lube, oil, filter, grease job, flush transmission, flush fuel system, de carbonize intake and cylinders, flush cooling system, flush power steering, brake fluid flush, replace fuel filters, and replace air filter, and rotate tires.
That's actually a pretty good price if they do all that stuff. Tranny flush is $200, oil change is $100, fuel filter is $150, cooling system flush is $100-$200, PS flush and brake flush are good to do, not sure of the prices, air filter is $150 but you may not need it. Dealer prices being what they are, that adds up pretty fast.

I would not do the carbon cleaner, and it is not approved by Ford. It's probably a B&G flush, which they make a lot of money on and probably does more harm than good. I've never even heard of a fuel system flush, so I don't know what that is. Air filter probably is not needed as was mentioned above. And you can do a lot of this yourself if you are in the mood.

I think the #1 priority things are the tranny flush, oil change, fuel filter change. #2 would be the coolant flush, but study the procedure that you will find in the tech folder, and see if they will do it that way. If not, do it yourself or find someone who will do it to your standards. #3 would be the PS and brake fluid change. Somewhere in there I would add differential service, and transfer case service if this is a 4WD.

There is a boatload more, but that will get you started.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:57 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
I start it up and drive it once every few weeks to exercise it and keep the batteries charged.
I would also recommend you find time to get it out on a hot run every week, at a mimimum. Go to town for ice cream or something.