1995 F-150 Stalls while driving

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 01:08 PM
Haggs
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 5.8L F-150 Stalls while driving

I basically have pulled my hair out on this one. Symptom - Engine Stalls then won't restart unless you wait a few minutes then it may run fine for days or may stall again in 5 minutes. Speed does not matter. Stalls at 70 or even 7 mph. It very eratic when it happens but acts the same when it does happen. Yes, I'm the idiot cutting people off during rush hour to get to the road side. I have replaced the Distributor, cap & rotor, Coil twice, TF Module three times, Fuel Filter, Checked fuel pressure - real good, checked every ground strap I could find - some iffy, tapped on every wiring harness, relay, fuse panel if could find while it was running and still it would not stall until I really needed to get somewhere then I could count on it stalling. Should I go and get another Distributor? When I read that kb5ylg replaced the Distributor and that fixed his problem I thought for sure it would cure mine. He described my problem exactly. No luck...still stalls. I think my timing is a little off but it still stalls the same as it did before even after doing all this. I've had this truck in to two garages and a dealership. Nobody has fixed it yet. The dealer said that the Distributor and TF Module were giving error codes. I've changed both. The other garages just started guessing and I can't afford that....Help!!

Last edited by Haggs; 05-07-2007 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:07 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
have you pulled codes yourself. www.fordfuelinjection.com shows you how. report back what you find.

what was your fuel pressure at? how many miles on the motor? might need to perform a compression test as well.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:22 AM
Haggs
New User
Codes

throwing codes 55, 56 and 65. Seems to be point to the MAF sensor.

I have 170,000 miles on her. Its been babied. Fuel pressure tested by Cert. Mechanic. Said it has great pressure.

Have not done a compression check because its seems to run great....when it does not stall.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:16 PM
KevinNY
New User
Have you solved your problem yet?
I'm having the same problem with my 94. I've narrowed it down to the electric power supply to the fuel pump. I know now that it is heat related. some relay or sensor is turning off my fuel pump at specific temperatures (under hood..not enging).

Let me know if you have solved yours
Thanks
Kevin

Old 06-11-2007, 07:43 AM
Haggs
New User
KevinNY,
Nope....I have not resolved the problem yet. I'm having it looked at right now but they are not having any luck finding the problem. I'm going to try to grab the codes right after it stalls next time. Have you pulled your codes right after it stalls? If so what error code were you getting? I check on the fuel pump relay and power supply and get back to you.
Thanks,
Haggs

Old 06-14-2007, 04:30 PM
KevinNY
New User
I think I have solved my problem!

I was searching around web for an answer to my problem which sounds exaclty like the one 'Haggs' is having for over a year and a half. FINALLY I think i've fixed it.

I found this note posted on some other web site and i can't even remember where.
"What you need to do is have the dealer or a friend that knows about automotive change the EEC power relay. witch is located in the eng comp. relay box.this should take care of your problem. If not i will walk you through a pin point test step by step."

I was also reading in that same area where the fuel pump relay gets it's power from the EEC relay which at firs I thought to be odd because my wire diagrams don't show that.

Anyways! for $14.85 a 'Standard' relay # RY116 and about 30 seconds in time to put it in i'm finally cured of this curse!

KevinNY

Old 06-19-2007, 07:30 AM
Haggs
New User
KevinNY,
I swapped the four relays around. I replaced the Horn relay with the fuel/Injector pump relay and visa versa with the other two relays. All is working well now. I have not stalled since I swapped them around. Thanks for the tip! Looks like it worked for me as well. Finally! I have my truck back. :-)

Old 08-30-2012, 02:37 PM
HUTCH1958
New User
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM,,I HAVE A 1996 F250,5.8 L AND IT STALLS WHILE IM DRIVING,,IT ALSO RESETS MY RADIO,IM TRYING TO FIX IT WONDER IF ITS MY PROBLEM AS WELL ASHAGGS

Old 01-22-2021, 06:33 PM
Robert Dennison
New User
Solution to stalling

Originally Posted by KevinNY
I was searching around web for an answer to my problem which sounds exaclty like the one 'Haggs' is having for over a year and a half. FINALLY I think i've fixed it.

I found this note posted on some other web site and i can't even remember where.
"What you need to do is have the dealer or a friend that knows about automotive change the EEC power relay. witch is located in the eng comp. relay box.this should take care of your problem. If not i will walk you through a pin point test step by step."

I was also reading in that same area where the fuel pump relay gets it's power from the EEC relay which at firs I thought to be odd because my wire diagrams don't show that.

Anyways! for $14.85 a 'Standard' relay # RY116 and about 30 seconds in time to put it in i'm finally cured of this curse!

KevinNY
Originally Posted by Haggs
KevinNY,
Nope....I have not resolved the problem yet. I'm having it looked at right now but they are not having any luck finding the problem. I'm going to try to grab the codes right after it stalls next time. Have you pulled your codes right after it stalls? If so what error code were you getting? I check on the fuel pump relay and power supply and get back to you.
Thanks,
Haggs
This forum is great. Getting the EEC relay tomorrow