Headers for 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 04:24 PM
biglevi71
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headers for 5.4

I am thinking of putting headers on my new truck. What brands should I look at, and what are the real world number gains for mpg, hp, and torque? Will this void my warantee? I posted in the exhaust forum and no responses yet. I have a cat back dual exhaust with no mufflers if that makes any differnce to what I can and can't use. Will it make any affect to the current noise that is coming from my existing system. I really like the way it sounds, but more power for towing would be nice. Let me know what ya all think, thanks, Levi

Old 03-24-2003, 04:27 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Headers for 5.4

Originally posted by biglevi71
I am thinking of putting headers on my new truck. What brands should I look at, and what are the real world number gains for mpg, hp, and torque? Will this void my warantee? I posted in the exhaust forum and no responses yet. I have a cat back dual exhaust with no mufflers if that makes any differnce to what I can and can't use. Will it make any affect to the current noise that is coming from my existing system. I really like the way it sounds, but more power for towing would be nice. Let me know what ya all think, thanks, Levi
First...whats your budget? As for warranty, I dont think they will. You say you have dual exhaust, is that true dual, or dual from one pipe (split)? If you are running true duals, you might need a custom shop to either make a collector to match the headers, or will luck out. Headers give vehicles a good rumble. One thing to look out for is gasket leaks. Headers are notorious for not always sealing well. Do not skimp and buy cheap headers. You'll be sorry in the long run. They should almost definately help with towing.

Rich

Old 03-24-2003, 05:15 PM
biglevi71
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headers for 5.4

Rich, thanks for the info. My current set up is cat back duals (I had to pass emissions). After the rear cat it runs through a big 3.5" or 4" pipe instead of a muffler. Then it splits and runs out the rear. Budget? I hate going cheap on mechanical stuff. I want some quality products that will last. I will check out that link, Thanks Levi