1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Superduty questions. What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 10:01 PM
HCJtruck
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Superduty questions. What would you do?

I have an 06 with 186,000 miles ( I only put 10,000 on it) It is beginning to run rough and my dealer put on a new FICM today and now says two injectors need replacement, along with several other smaller issues. Bottom line is I am going to spend over $3000 and he really can't promise that is all I need-- sort of open ended. I understand this truck has high mileage and this is not unusual. My question, is it wise to spend thousands on a truck with this mileage or should I look for a lower mileage model, and put my money on the difference? I am afraid even if I do this repair, it may be never ending.

I found an 07 with 54000 miles that I could get for maybe $12,000 more than my truck's worth. Factor in what I would spend on this repair, and it's less than that. What engine is in the 07? How is it different from my 06? What would you do?

Lastly, does a gooseneck hitch require a long bed (I pull a tractor occasionally)? Don't want to lose my toolbox either.

By the way, I drove a 2011 today. Impressive! Just cant justify 60 grand for a hunting rig for occasional use, but man, that is a great ride.

By the way, I drive my truck on weekends and only put under 10,000 miles per year on it. Really don't want a long bed crew cab for an everyday driver in the city.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:30 PM
Chaosracing
Posting Guru
What about putting in a Jasper or FoMoCo rebuilt engine in your truck? I helped a guy put in a 7.3 powerstroke from Jasper and he paid around $3000 for the motor (it was complete)

Old 05-04-2011, 11:32 PM
exiled
Posting Guru
I think your math might be alittle off but I'll go along with it. To answer your question the 07 also has the 6.0l and they are pretty much the same. If you have a new ficm installed on the 06 then both should have the same program unless tbere was an update that the 07 didn't get.
This is a no brainer. If both trucks are the same and 1 is newer with less miles and is cheaper than the repairs??? The question is???
What is the little things that is suppose to be wrong with the truck? What do you mean its running rough?
What I think you should do is take the truck to another dealer and get it checked out. I wouldntnlet anybody work on my baby that has told me "this might not fix it" that just shows they don't know what they are doing. Ford techs know how to fix this truck now.
Know you don't have to have a long bed for a goose neck. You should have the 18" or so for yoyour toolbox.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:56 PM
HCJtruck
Freshman User
Since this is my first diesel and Ford, I was not sure about where to take it. Took it to local dealer. Truck recently started running rough when started (like it was skipping) For the first 4 or 5 miles it ran rough, had low power (Even now when the weather is warm) After 3 or 4 miles, it seemed to run just fine. Dealer said codes showed bad FICM and two injectors (2 and 7 if I remember correctly) but he said he would first replace FICM and recheck injectors. (about $1200 already) He called back and said two injectors were definitely bad and advised replacement and quoted another $2000 (I may have these prices a little off but in that ballpark) I told him to hold off and let me think about it.

He also said both batteries tested weak and also said to replace them, but that did not have anything to do with my rough running, according to him. I have not noticed any hard or slow starting. Fires right up but just rough at first. So I am not sure if he is just gouging me or if it is all necessary. My fear is that even if all af this is done, with 185,000 miles, what's next? Seems nothing is cheap on these engines, so I thought a newer or lower mileage may be less likely to have issues, and before I sink more into it, maybe should consider an upgrade. Thanks for the reply!!!

Old 05-05-2011, 12:45 AM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think you should post a thread with your truck's symptoms over in the 6.0 diesel forum. Those who have the 6.0 (like Exiled) have lots of experience with that engine and can probably walk you through the steps to really narrow down what your problems might be. I understand your reluctance to throw money at a problem with no sure fix, but those guys can probably help you avoid that. Fixing your truck is probably the most economical route to take.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:52 AM
fbh31118
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HCJtruck
Since this is my first diesel and Ford, I was not sure about where to take it. Took it to local dealer. Truck recently started running rough when started (like it was skipping) For the first 4 or 5 miles it ran rough, had low power (Even now when the weather is warm) After 3 or 4 miles, it seemed to run just fine. Dealer said codes showed bad FICM and two injectors (2 and 7 if I remember correctly) but he said he would first replace FICM and recheck injectors. (about $1200 already) He called back and said two injectors were definitely bad and advised replacement and quoted another $2000 (I may have these prices a little off but in that ballpark) I told him to hold off and let me think about it.

He also said both batteries tested weak and also said to replace them, but that did not have anything to do with my rough running, according to him. I have not noticed any hard or slow starting. Fires right up but just rough at first. So I am not sure if he is just gouging me or if it is all necessary. My fear is that even if all af this is done, with 185,000 miles, what's next? Seems nothing is cheap on these engines, so I thought a newer or lower mileage may be less likely to have issues, and before I sink more into it, maybe should consider an upgrade. Thanks for the reply!!!
Ok, with respect. The first thing I would do is get a second opinion from another dealer or repair shop you trust. Even if you have a trusted repair place that doesn't do diesel, the chances are that they know some one who does and can lead you in the right direction. If you truck really needs batteries I would go to my favorite battery dealer and get your batteries load tested and if needed replace them yourself. If this is your first diesel your in for a treat, these things can get expensive, period. Don't expect to cheap out. My first knee jerk reaction to the post was to change the fuel filter after dumping any possible water from the trap (cheap do it your self first step). I wish I had some more direct experience with this motor so as to weigh in on.

185,000 miles is just nicely broke in for a well cared for diesel and a long, long way from needing a rebuild or replacement, unless seriously abused. I just bought my first Ford (International) diesel with 233,000 miles and it runs and starts better than my companies 99 F250 with only 60,000 miles on it. Same motor just different care. I've had diesel before and it helped having some back ground to work from but I had to do the reading before I ever bought the first one! Do some research on this don't give up and ask a lot of questions. The search feature here is great and will help you a bunch!!

If you chose to trade off for a better deal then thats great but if your doing diesel again be ready for the same type of issues. Being informed will be your best asset against big repair bills. It won't guarantee that you'll never have a big problem but keep in perspective that the diesel is roughly a six to ten thousand dollar option on the sticker in a truck. Good luck on your truck and keep use posted.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:53 AM
fbh31118
Senior User
Originally Posted by BigPigDaddy
I think you should post a thread with your truck's symptoms over in the 6.0 diesel forum. Those who have the 6.0 (like Exiled) have lots of experience with that engine and can probably walk you through the steps to really narrow down what your problems might be. I understand your reluctance to throw money at a problem with no sure fix, but those guys can probably help you avoid that. Fixing your truck is probably the most economical route to take.
Good point. X2 on what BPD said.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:54 AM
exiled
Posting Guru

I understand how you feel. I say take it to a dealership that has a large truck department or supports the commercial trucks. Next choice a diesel shop that works on psds.
I think this guy is gouging you. He could have checked you FICM and injectors before doing any work. Sounds like he's throwing parts at it. There's tuturials on here how to check your own FICM. With a reader you can pull injector codes..
The nature of these engines is to sound
Rough and seem sluggish in cool/cold weather. The transmission actual has a 6th gear that is only used when cold. So what will happen is 4th will replace w/ 6th. This helps the engine raise rpms and heat things up. So the truck is actual working the same but its seems not to be because its different. Then acouple minutes/miles the truck goes back to normal.
By all means if you can upgrade anywhere near the same price for the same truck basicly I would think you'd be a nut not to.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:14 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts
... Dealer said codes showed bad FICM and two injectors (2 and 7 if I remember correctly) but he said he would first replace FICM and recheck injectors...
This makes me think the guy knows what he is doing. That is the correct order of diagnosis. A bad FICM will pop false injector codes, and the FICM is not very well covered by DTC codes.

Originally Posted by exiled
...I think this guy is gouging you. He could have checked you FICM and injectors before doing any work. Sounds like he's throwing parts at it...
See above. You cannot diagnose injectors properly with a faulty FICM.

These things are common for a 6.0 with a lot of miles, and I say keep the truck and do the repairs, assuming the rest of the truck is in good condition. These costs are to be expected with that motor.

Also agree on taking this dicussion down to the 6.0 forum. There are several other things we could recommend they check/repair while they have it torn down.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:16 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Ah the things you will hear from the salesmen.
I do have 2 months batteries in my truck. When I had alternator failure on the road, I took them to the part story for recharge when I was replacing alternator. They hook them up to computerized charger and one show bad. I do have 50 amp load tester at home and they show perfect.
So listen to the above and read how folks with same engines are dealing with them. Just because the dealer quoted you 2 grands doesn't mean that $200 senor and cleaning will not fix it.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:02 PM
exiled
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bpounds
You cannot diagnose injectors properly with a faulty FICM.
I read the post wrong and I really didn't completely say what I wanted to say.
I think $2000 was to much for 2 injectors and I thought the post read that he had left w/ the truck and it still didn't run right so now the tech thought might have been injectors. There was no mention if the ficm was actually bad or not leaving me to believe the tech wants as much work as he can get.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:10 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
I have an 06 with 186,000 miles ( I only put 10,000 on it) It is beginning to run rough and my dealer put on a new FICM today and now says two injectors need replacement, along with several other smaller issues.
Originally Posted by exiled
No but when replaced the FICM he then could have pulled codes. This tech let the truck leaving the shop with a new FICM and still running rough. Again now he can pull the codes. That's what I'm talking about.
I didn't read it that way, but maybe you're right, I dunno. Looks like all one visit the way I read it.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:41 PM
HCJtruck
Freshman User
Sorry for the confusion. Originally he said FICM bad and maybe two injectors. So he replaced the module (Cost total $1000) and re-tested it and still showed two bad injectors. He then said he needed to replace those two (#2 and #7) at a cost of $1400 ish) I asked if it would be wise to do all 8 when it was broken down and he said probably a good idea and quoted about $3300 to do all eight. I told him I would think about.

Picked it up tonight with the new FICM only. Started right up and seemed to idle much better. But when I hit the highway, it was very rough, almost worse than before, and even after 15 miles, never really got better, whereas before he did the FICM, it seemed to run good after a few miles. I am noticing it mainly under load, like when going uphill at speed.

Talked to another dealer who had the nice 07 just like my 06, but with 54,000 miles. Asking $31,000. He has not looked at mine yet but over the phone estimated a $10,000 trade in value. I think that is way off. I feel that if I could get this 07 for a trade plus $16,000, I might be tempted. Whatcha think? Of course, the dealer and I are $5,000 apart, so I have some negotiating to do.

By the way, I really appreciate you guys taking the time to advise me!!

Old 05-05-2011, 11:48 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Yeah. You would think that with all those scanners, sensors, computers and diagnostic tools the $1000 would make your truck running better. ..
My take on the situation is that you have to fix your truck to sell it or use it, unless you are ready for $5000 loss.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:17 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Talked to another dealer who had the nice 07 just like my 06, but with 54,000 miles. Asking $31,000.
That price is ridiculously high. I paid $30k, from a dealer, 4 years ago, with only 33k miles. That truck should be in the $20k area IMO.

Sorry for the confusion. Originally he said FICM bad and maybe two injectors. So he replaced the module (Cost total $1000) and re-tested it and still showed two bad injectors. He then said he needed to replace those two (#2 and #7) at a cost of $1400 ish) I asked if it would be wise to do all 8 when it was broken down and he said probably a good idea and quoted about $3300 to do all eight. I told him I would think about.
I think he has been honest with you thus far. I would replace those two injectors. As far as doing all of them, that's a big debate. Your bad FICM likely ruined the 2 injectors, by hitting them with low voltage (weak batteries can do that too). So it's not like they have reached end of life on all 8. If I planned to keep the truck for another 100k, I would probably do all 8 injectors. If you just want it running good to sell in a year or two, just do the 2 injectors. JMHO.

Quick Reply: Superduty questions. What would you do?