6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

09 F250 Supr Duty, 6.4L, Broken Rockers

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 08:58 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
2010 design for the 2011 model year for the Urea.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:09 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
2010 design for the 2011 model year for the Urea.
The emissions requirements went into effect for all engines manufactured after January 1st 2010. All 2010 model diesel pickup truck engines were manufactured in 2009.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:15 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy001
The emissions requirements went into effect for all engines manufactured after January 1st 2010. All 2010 model diesel pickup truck engines were manufactured in 2009.
That right, I remember that. As long as the motor was produced before 2010 they were allowed to use them.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:21 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Yup, the same thing happened with the "08" super duties. They started making them in January 2007 because that's when they could no longer build the 6.0. Not sure why they didn't just call it a 2007...

Old 05-10-2011, 12:17 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by wp6529
Sorry, you are incorrect. I have a 100% stock truck, doing ~500 mi regens and my Blackstone reports show <0.5% fuel dilution.
so, your fuel is diluted less than .5 percent. It is still diluted, just not very much. That is great, what do you attribute it to. I'm gonna guess you do a lot of highway driving and/or heavy towing. Under those conditions you are less likely to dilute during regen and most of the fuel that does enter the oil will boil out. But you can bet that with more wear on the piston rings, and/or more city driving or with biodiesel fuel your dilution number will go up. It is a know biproduct of the emissions system used on the 6.4L.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:48 PM
Ian123
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I still think DPF is a horribly inefficient way of achieving a clean burning exhaust. They need to design a filter with a larger capacity, so that it would only need to be cleaned lets say every 3000 miles and then at that point the owner could simply replace the filter much like they do with any other filter on the truck. Why exactly did they insist on making the DPF self cleaning?

Old 05-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ian123
I still think DPF is a horribly inefficient way of achieving a clean burning exhaust. They need to design a filter with a larger capacity, so that it would only need to be cleaned lets say every 3000 miles and then at that point the owner could simply replace the filter much like they do with any other filter on the truck. Why exactly did they insist on making the DPF self cleaning?
So, you'd have no problem spending $1100 for another DPF every 3000 miles?
JL

Old 05-10-2011, 01:04 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
cause it is really the only approach for both the manufacturer and customer.
this stuff gets hot in the exhaust flow. And it depends on fuel quality, engine power used, etc how much stuff is put into the filter. There is no replaceable filter technology that can be used in this application. (and no end customer replaceable filter technology)..

Sam

Old 05-10-2011, 01:29 PM
Ian123
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by sdetweil
cause it is really the only approach for both the manufacturer and customer.
this stuff gets hot in the exhaust flow. And it depends on fuel quality, engine power used, etc how much stuff is put into the filter. There is no replaceable filter technology that can be used in this application. (and no end customer replaceable filter technology)..

Sam
There is no replaceable filter technology YET. 10 years ago no one would have thought I could be responding to what you just posted on a cell phone but look at me now. I think more R&D needs to be put into clean diesel technology to come up with a better system, instead of just being satisfied with what we have now

Old 05-10-2011, 01:46 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
There is no replaceable filter technology YET. 10 years ago no one would have thought I could be responding to what you just posted on a cell phone but look at me now. I think more R&D needs to be put into clean diesel technology to come up with a better system, instead of just being satisfied with what we have now
I'd rather shut down the EPA and let the soot fly.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:16 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I agree, more research needs to be done.. and I think there is LOTS of research going on. I don't think any of the manufacturers are 'satisfied', sitting on their butts. But things that appear in the lab, and being able to deliver them for a few million vehicles, over a large number of years, manufacture and support and service the parts, etc is a LOT different. (oh, and have the vehicle RUN everyday to do its assigned tasks)..

the current products are from 5 yr old designs. cause it takes that long to build and deliver to manufacturing and dealers.. down from 10 yrs.. some parts of the vehicles are down to 1 yr design to delivery, but not the major components.

Sam

Old 05-10-2011, 02:44 PM
Ian123
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
I'd rather shut down the EPA and let the soot fly.
lol I think we all would but I'm not counting on that ever happening

Old 05-10-2011, 03:34 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
lol I think we all would but I'm not counting on that ever happening
At the end of the day, and correct me if i'm wrong, but soot is only in the air temporarily, as in it is not really contributing to a pollution problem.

How can someone justify reducing fuel mileage using an exhaust filter, when that causes us to buy more fuel, which is produced by equipment that uses almost exclusively off road engines with a muffler if youre lucky.

I realize it's probably an "out of sight, out of mind" event at play, like your truck doesn't smoke in traffic, and you can't see the oil drilling rigs in the middle of nowhere with black exhaust clouds.

I think the DPF is addressing a cosmetic attribute of the diesel engine, but for the trouble it causes, the more I think about it is just plain stupid.

How much C02 is produced and how much energy is used building a truck that has a shorter lifespan, which might be replaced more often?

With todays diesel engines, the amount of soot is trivial, heck even the 7.3 and 6.0 we're decent when stock, for the EPA or anyone to expect to wipe a white napkin on an exhaust pipe, and be proud of how clean it is, is just ridiculous.

Why not take that white napkin and check the exhaust on an oil drilling rig? How about wiping down an oil covered duck in a fort macmurray tailings pond near the oilsands project?

My point is that they have gone too far, this is accomplishing nothing.
In demanding certain air regulations, it should be addressed that for an exhaust by product to be considered to be harmful, it should be a permanent chemical or gas which remains in the atmosphere, or be treated using a technology that will clean the undesired substance from the exhaust without creating a larger energy consumption or pollution or C02 contribution upstream or downstream.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:38 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
To re cap all my gibberish,

What I am trying to say, is that the DPF seems like something designed to shut a lot of people up, creating an initial sense of accomplishment, but doing nothing in terms of actual headway.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:51 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by parkland
To re cap all my gibberish,

What I am trying to say, is that the DPF seems like something designed to shut a lot of people up, creating an initial sense of accomplishment, but doing nothing in terms of actual headway.
As I understand it the EPA went way overboard to get the soot declared a carcenigan (yeah I can't spell) so they could regulate it. My guess is that they were tired of having the gasser drivers complaining about the soot which they could see. And or course any government agencey is always looking for a chanch to expand the mission and grow. Now don't forget that beginning with the 13 (i think) model year the trucks have to start getting smaller. Who the heck knows how that will come out. My guess is that they will push the big fifth wheelers like mine right out of exsistance. The trucks won't be able to handle the weight. The motor home industry is just about shot now so we can all go back to little tear drop trailers pulled by mini vans. In the past 50 years our government has destroyed just about every industry that ever exsisted in this country. And we just keep letting them do it. Man are we dumb.

Quick Reply: 09 F250 Supr Duty, 6.4L, Broken Rockers