1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

7500lb travel trailer dont need weight dist?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 11:54 AM
Anomic
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7500lb travel trailer dont need weight dist?

Only 7500lbs on scales loaded. I cant imagine i need a weight distrubiting setup? I only have 5.4 with 3.73 so i will be close to my tow rating of around 9000 but that is just acceleration not suspensions. I should be fine right?

Old 05-01-2011, 12:07 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts
nope...look at your reciever. Anything over 5K you need a distribution setup. Keep the thing going straight down the road and distribute some of the load to the front wheels.

Hope that you got the trailer brake controller.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:09 PM
noimports
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try it and see but I'll say no way right now. I have a 27' 5000lb TT I can pull with no WDH but I wouldnt do it unless its a very short trip and i get lazy. I also have a 33' 8000lb TT and it would ride like crap if I didnt use a WDH.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:20 PM
2006lariat
Lead Driver
Received 228 Likes on 62 Posts
Weight distributing hitches make it all better! The TV and TT handle better, and overall is safer! You can buy a cheaper WDH for you setup, and it will still make it alot nicer ride! I tow my TT on some shady road's, and will tell you that when you drop off the shoulder (narrow roads) that a WDH will help control the TT way better than without! I am alot more safety conscious now that I have my daughter son and wife too worry about! I would get a cheap wdh and set it up right, and not worry! As a side note, just the WDH (without a sway controller) helps with sway ALOT! You can (and I have) pull heavier without a WDH, But I feel that the vehicle's are way more composed with the wdh, that I will never tow without them again, unless it is A small trailer, with a small load! (under 4000lbs)

Old 05-01-2011, 01:35 PM
_red rocket_
Senior User
http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...RDUTYsep09.pdf

This link is the Ford web site with published information on tow capacities, hitch capacities (about 1/2 the way down), etc. Look for:

Hitch Receiver Weight Capacity

Under that section you will see the hitch max weights. For the 2010 F250 5.4L, the rating is for max trailer = 6,000lbs, max tongue = 600lbs without W/D hitch.

With your trailer and TV with no W/D, you would be towing illegally and any halfway smart lawyer could really make you have a bad day if it were proven you caused an accident while towing illegally.

Old 05-01-2011, 02:00 PM
noimports
Senior User
When you say "only 7500 lbs" you arent thinking that this trailer outweighs your truck. The tongue weight is probably around 1000lbs. Take yourself and four friends and stand on your bumper, now start jumping up and down and see how your truck handles it. Your front end will be lifted by a couple inches at least which will cause you to lose steering input. Again, you can try it but I dont think you'll like it. Curious to know what you pulled this camper with before your F250? Like Senix mentioned I hope you also have a trailer brake controller.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:21 PM
Anomic
Senior User
No factory tow controller. Does this truck run the brakes at all without a tbc? How much do they run?

The trailer is 27ft 6000lbs empty and 7500 max weight. I dont want to buy a bunch of crap for it becuase i only will be pulling like 10 or less weekends a year

Old 05-01-2011, 03:57 PM
noimports
Senior User
Originally Posted by Anomic
No factory tow controller. Does this truck run the brakes at all without a tbc? How much do they run?
No. About $100 for brake controller. Check ebay and you can get a cheap WDH for under $200.

Originally Posted by Anomic
The trailer is 27ft 6000lbs empty and 7500 max weight. I dont want to buy a bunch of crap for it becuase i only will be pulling like 10 or less weekends a year
Please give this alot of consideration. As stated number one you could be breaking the law. Number two you will be sharing the highway with our families. Number three you wont like the way it handles at all. Even if you dont get a hitch trying to stop 7500 lbs with just the truck brakes is insane. Your penny pinching could end up costing you a heckuva lot more in the end.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:15 PM
BCM
More Turbo

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
So let me get this straight... you have a max weight of 7500, and you don't have a trailer brake controller OR weight distribution hitch because you don't want to spend the extra money on a 'bunch of crap'?

First of all, I wouldn't get on the road AT ALL without either of those pieces with a trailer more than 5,000 pounds... and even then, I would, at the least, want the brake controller.

Like the boys said... it is illegal (in most states). And stupid. Spend the money... if not for yourself, then for others on the road with you.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:28 PM
loganworks
Senior User
I have to agree with all the input on this question. The safety issue alone should make you want to add $300 dollars of equipment (a small price to pay). Once you have added the WDH you will no longer wonder why you need it. It is well worth it for the ride improvement alone add to that you will find it much less stressful while towing.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:28 PM
Anomic
Senior User
Well it used to be towed with an 03 f150 and had a weight distrubtion setup. Becuase of gas prices the owner (family) does not want to buy another truck and was looking at me /others to tow it in exchange for being able to use it ourselves. Can the wdh on it fit multiple vehicles or does it need setup for each truck?

Old 05-01-2011, 06:43 PM
2006lariat
Lead Driver
It would prob need dropped one position as the superduty sits higher! Put the trailer on level land, level the tongue, and measure to the top of where the ball would couple. next get your truck on level ground, and measure the ball height on your wdh. Adjust the ball height too the trialer height. There is more to it, but this will get you in the park! (You can adjust the angle (front and back) of the ball, but I would try it where the angle is set currently). I know there is more too it, but My hitch was setup by the ppl I bought my tt from. So I never messed with it, and dont know a great deal about its workins. Unless the others are usin the same model trucks, at close too the same height, it should be setup for every truck!

Old 05-01-2011, 06:47 PM
Anomic
Senior User
I thought there was mods required to the tow vehicle its all on trailer tongue/hitch ball?

So all the safety nannys can relax. I can swing 100$ for a tbc looks like they are an easy diy

Old 05-01-2011, 07:11 PM
2006lariat
Lead Driver
Yes, It is all in the hitch, trailer! You can buy a cheap brake box for like $50. I have a Curt laying around that I think I bought new for like 45-55$. You shoulda got a little wiring harness with your truck, that you would wirethe box too, than it just plugs in under the dash, above the throttle pedal! My current truck has a factory controller, That is why I have the Curt layin around! It is all about not hurtin your family or others, We arent trying too be your "NANNY"! But I will tell you if some dikhead hurts me or my family because they were too cheap to use the right equipment, they had better hope they dont make it!

Old 05-02-2011, 11:58 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
heres something for you, driving to my girlfriends moms shore house this friday afternoon a big ol boat about 25ft double axle trailer with twin 175 out boards was in fromt of me. Now the road is 55mph and we were doing about 40mph behind this guy, after ten minutes of this a car behind me pased me so i pased the boat, the guy had a 05 to 07 toyota tacoma the little one with a crew cab and the bed was full of wood i guess for his camp fire, the bumper was about two inches from the ground, he had at least a six inch drop hitch flipped upside down because the trailer was so low. Anyways saturday morning my girlfriends moms neighbor came over and said that when he came down friday night a white toyota pulling a huge boat was flipped over on the side of the road. he said that the cops told him that the truck was over loaded and bystanders told the cops that the trailer was swaying which caused the problem. spend the three hundred dollars

Quick Reply: 7500lb travel trailer dont need weight dist?