Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Ok guys....forgive me but this is not my IDI...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 09:30 PM
ADTMan
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok guys....forgive me but this is not my IDI...

Ok so I am working on my Chevrolet. I have been on thedieselplace and those guys are not helpful at all. So this is the ONE TRUE place I can come for help. Thanks so much for being so kind to me and many others on this site. I have respect for everyone on here. This is the rear diff so it is not engine related.

I just had my rear diff replaced. I bought it used, so I had the shop rebuild the 3rd member and install all new seals and bearings in the hubs. New brakes the WHOLE NINE! Well I get on the road and the drivers side tires are wobbling. I take it back and they tell me it is the because the wheels are bent. Ok, 2 wheels later and it is STILL wobbling.

I have the old rear end that came out of the truck. So I grabbed up one of those hubs and spent 170 bux in parts last night and rebuilt it myself! Two hours later she is on the ground. I take it for a test drive....NO MORE WOBBLING!!!!!!!!!!!
Six blocks later...............BAM CLINK BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel something in the diff. I limp it back home and decide to just pull the axle. I jack up the truck and secure it. Get my tools that were already out. As soon as I touch the axle it burns the $HZZZZNIT out of me! Damn that thing was HOT! I get the axle loose and grab the tire and boy that thing was sloppier than a 2 dollar hooker.

Today I removed the tire and then removed the hub. Pieces of bearing fell out and the inner part of BOTH bearings are seized to the axle shaft. Now I have to figure out how in the world to remove those w/o damaging the axle tube. I have no clue. So my wise friends. What did I do wrong or what could have caused BRAND NEW bearings to burn up in SIX FREAKIN blocks!

I did grease the bearing before I put them in and after as well. I realize this is a wet system. I was taught to grease ALL bearings before and during installation. The only thing the other forum could do was criticize me for putting grease on them at all. BAD FORUM!!!!!!!!

I do have pics of whatever you want me to show. I just need to get this thing on the road. My other crew is using the IDI. I need this truck, the IDI can't be in two places at once. LOL

Old 04-12-2011, 10:05 PM
BlueOvalBud
Posting Guru
This may sound like a newbie question, but did you "pack" the bearings?
If you don't have a packer, you just take the bearing in one hand and use the other hand to press grease into the bearing and FILL it until no more grease can come out.
Being a full-floater rear end, the gear oil is intened to lubricate the bearings...but you do need to grease them initially. I grease mine like there is no tomorrow!

And you can carefully use an angle grinder to cut the bearing race off the shaft...

Old 04-12-2011, 10:05 PM
1994F2507.3L
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
we'll i'll say this much you are supposed to grease the bearings wet system or not.... the grease is meant to lube the bearings until things get turning and the 80-90 gets out to those bearings. i had a similar situation... driving down the highway at 65 and bam the drivers rear locked up almost sent me into a dumptruck. hooray for my driving skills lol.... anyway pulled the hub/bearings and the bearing fell out in a million pieces and the races were stuck in the hub had to break out the cuttin torch and do some very precise cuts and a drift to take it out... a hairy few minutes but it came out.

any chance on some pics of yours?

heres what i recovered of my bearing:
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 04-12-2011, 10:13 PM
84-6.9L
Posting Guru
The hayes manual even says to grease the bearings beforehand so they have lube until the gear oil sloshes in there. post some pics on how this is different then a dana. Is it one of those corperate 14bolts or a semifloater? im assuming semi floater because the bearings cooked on the axle. I'm thinking something got f'ed at the rebuilders. post some pics if you can

Old 04-12-2011, 10:24 PM
vfelix702
Laughing Gas

PICS!! :-)

Old 04-12-2011, 10:31 PM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
Being that you bought a used axle, the shaft may have been bent causing the wobble.

As for the one you rebuilt, I am assuming you filled the diff with oil and packed the bearings with the proper grease. I would not just coat the bearings with grease, but i would cram it in before putting on the cap.

Let us know what else you find in your investigation.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:36 PM
BlueOvalBud
Posting Guru
Hey 94, that looks terrible!! Glad you got it all out!

Old 04-12-2011, 11:04 PM
1994F2507.3L
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
yes believe me that was not one of my better weekends... was so *****d at myself after doing all the work to the front end and changing the fluid in the rear end i forgot to check the bearings back there.... man was i *****d

Old 04-13-2011, 12:06 AM
Country_boy_2007
Posting Guru
assumeing that this is a FF axle, then its probably a 10.5'' 14 bolt, my guess would be that there wasnt enough grease to hold it over till the gear lube made it to the hubs. next time, put a jack under the side of the axle with the fill plug, jack it up some and put a little extra gear lube in the diff.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:12 AM
ADTMan
Elder User
It is an AAM1150 same as a Dodge Dually. American Axle Manufacturing 11.5" pinion. I will post pics tomorrow. It is a MESS!

You guys are so GREAT! Thank you so much for all of your input and posts. This is exactly what I am talking about.

Once you see the pics you will have a real good understanding as to what is going on. I didn't PACK the bearing. Never thought of using my hand to pack it either. I did put a bunch of grease in my hands and roll it a bunch. Then after I installed it i crammed more grease in the hub and rolled the bearings. I like the idea of jacking up the truck to put more fluid in. I am definitely going to do that.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:44 AM
Otahyoni
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I cant believe it would get the bearings that hot in 6 blocks though. I would think it was the bearing way too tight...

I tip i learned to remove the race, get a BFH, sheild you eyes, and give the race a good smack. They're brittle and it will break, sending pieces at high speed in several directions. I've removed several this way that couldn't be removed any other way...

Old 04-13-2011, 07:34 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Otahyoni

I tip i learned to remove the race, get a BFH, sheild you eyes, and give the race a good smack.
I for one couldn't reccomend this way to remove a stuck race, I have 3 pieces about the size of .22 caliber slugs in me from doing this on the side of the interstate one night. Dr. said it would do more damage to remove them than to leave it.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:46 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mechmagcn
I for one couldn't reccomend this way to remove a stuck race, I have 3 pieces about the size of .22 caliber slugs in me from doing this on the side of the interstate one night. Dr. said it would do more damage to remove them than to leave it.
I've got a chip in my finger from doing the same thing, I worked with a guy who lost an eye to a bearing chip.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:08 AM
84-6.9L
Posting Guru
chain saw chaps a carhartt jacket heavy gloves and a face shield and your good to go

Old 04-13-2011, 01:49 PM
Country_boy_2007
Posting Guru
i use an air chisel and a heavy peice of canvas. wrap the canvas or leather around the race, slide the chisel in between the folds to you cah hit the race and hammer on it. the heavy canvas will help contain the peices of the race so it dosent gernade in your face. but at any rate its pretty dangerous so be real careful no matter how you do it

Quick Reply: Ok guys....forgive me but this is not my IDI...