Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Question for you hpo system gurus

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 01:01 AM
Muktown
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question for you hpo system gurus

Ok here's the deal. Recently I've had a hot no start issue. Only happened twice over a 2 month period but hot the engine starts a little harder than it should or used to, leading me to believe its hpo related. Maybe IPR orings. When it wouldn't start I tried unplugging the icp with no change and took out chip and then 5 minutes later it started like nothing was wrong. Maybe sticking IPR or injector poppett. Also lately I noticed my mileage is dropping maybe related maybe not. I have AE and will be doing some tests soon but here's the kicker. The stealth DIY dual hpops support dual iprs so I am running two iprs with the main wire harness spliced so there are two ipr pigtails coming off it. My question is can I isolate one ipr by unplugging just one? When you unplug them do they stick open or closed? Im hoping my problem isn't the forward ipr because id have to take both pumps out. Truck seems to run ok except for the low mileage and lower boost than usual

Old 04-29-2011, 01:06 AM
spunks00
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been doing alot with the hpo system this last week but not a guru especialy on the dual pump and dual ipr system, i a interested to see the results. Sorry i am of no help

Old 04-29-2011, 01:15 AM
Muktown
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anything helps! I've never really had to deal with hpo issues. May not even be oil related. Problem is I don't think there are many running dual iprs. But it shouldn't be much different than than one pump and one ipr. Basic principal is the same.

On edit I should add that when its cold outside the thing smokes constantly at idle. My other two 7.3s would clear up after about 5-10 minutes of warm up time. When the engines at normal operating temp its only a slight haze out the tailpipe. I always attributed that to the big injectors but maybe this was sneaking up on me. On my trip to florida my mileage was horrible towing. Loaded at 8k or unloaded at 4k I only got about 9mpg hand calculated. Mixed city and hwy mostly hwy I get 14 tops

Old 05-02-2011, 01:31 AM
spunks00
Senior User
That is some bad fuel economy...do you have any codes?
I would try to unplug one of the IPRs and see if/how it runs and then go from there as to diag if one is bad...
sorry i am not of more help

Old 05-02-2011, 02:02 AM
kupaa
Posting Guru
Wow I didn't even know you can run dual IPR's but guess it make sence..... Duel pumps!