1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 11:23 PM
phantom02
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi guy's. I have a 2000 f250 7.3l with 175,000. Just under 2 yrs ago I had all injectors, harnesses and valve cover gaskets changed due to the gaskets shorting out. Truck runs great, no misses great power and mileage. The problem is I keep getting the code 1316. I finally took it to ford and had them do the buzz check and to check the system. they came up with codes 1275 and 1276, telling me i needed to change the harness on both sides. I told them they were changed along with everything else under 2yrs ago and that the truck runs great. The tech then said, "maybe it is the IDM" I felt they were trying to take me to the cleaners at this point because they were guessing at that point. I had already checked the harness to make sure they were tight and they were. Everything was good, so I had them clear the codes to see if it would come back. So I was just wondering what do you experts think? Everything is stock except for the super chips tow safe program. Makes no difference with or without the program.
Thanks.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:25 AM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forum... do you get a check engine light with the P1316 and rough running? Does it come and go.. ? Also you might check the main wiring harness that lays on top of the driver's side valve cover..it sometimes rubs and shorts out..

Old 04-29-2011, 03:05 AM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like he said, check the wiring harness on top of the engine. There are a couple spots that are known to wear through though I can't remember their exactly location at the moment.

Follow the wiring harness around and heck for areas that are touching things and make sure nothing is shorting out.

If you haven't done the 50 cent mod yet I would highly recommend it as this will lock your under valve cover harnesses into place and keep them from coming loose under the valve covers.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:30 AM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by phantom02
hi guy's. I have a 2000 f250 7.3l with 175,000. Just under 2 yrs ago I had all injectors, harnesses and valve cover gaskets changed due to the gaskets shorting out. Truck runs great, no misses great power and mileage. The problem is I keep getting the code 1316. I finally took it to ford and had them do the buzz check and to check the system. they came up with codes 1275 and 1276, telling me i needed to change the harness on both sides. I told them they were changed along with everything else under 2yrs ago and that the truck runs great. The tech then said, "maybe it is the IDM" I felt they were trying to take me to the cleaners at this point because they were guessing at that point. I had already checked the harness to make sure they were tight and they were. Everything was good, so I had them clear the codes to see if it would come back. So I was just wondering what do you experts think? Everything is stock except for the super chips tow safe program. Makes no difference with or without the program.
Thanks.
What do you mean by "keep getting the P1316 code"? You say the truck runs great and you aren't having any issues. Does your SES light come on? Have you cleared the code each time and it still returns?

I say clear the code and forget about it unless you start having symptoms or get the SES light. If the 1316 code reappears and you aren't having any drivability issues, then you should check the wiring at the IDM harness connector. My connector was filled with a bunch of dry flaky stuff that might have been the original die-electric grease applied during assembly. I cleaned it all out with electronic parts cleaner (aerosol can) and a small pipe cleaning brush. I applied new die-electric grease (to the gasket of the electrical connector only) and re-attached. My SES light went off and P1316 went away.

While you have the IDM connector in hand, it's a good idea to run the continuity and resistance checks outlined in this bulletin. It's a good way to check and make sure your entire wire path is sound.

Hope this helps.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
IDM_Module_Replacement.pdf (710.5 KB, 51 views)
Old 04-29-2011, 06:58 PM
phantom02
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The ses light would come on I would clear and would return after a few cycles. No rough running, already checked the harness for rubbing and cleaned the idm connecter under the wheel well. Other than that it runs fine. I wonder if the place that did all the repairs did not do a good job clearing the codes.
Thanks for your good input.