1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

The great debate: Auto vs. stick

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 06:27 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Nope, not butt hurt at all.
You just got such a **** poor attitude towards anyone that you do not agree with.

I am sure I can find plenty of useless posts on this forum and other forums by you. And I don't mind messaging you back, because you are swinging for a fight, and I think it's funny. So I respond just because of that. =)

I should change this to say something about how you are just waiting for somebody to start a fight with. Cause it's pretty obvious on this forum and others how you'll start crap for no reason. But, I don't need to spell that out for anyone.

Best fix for anyone you don't like is to just Ignore them. =)
By bitching about my so worthless posts, you are just starting a fire for no reason.
And. While I might not have a fire starter, My fan is pretty big. And I like big fires.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:29 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
OK so pros....

ZF5-- usually don't need rebuilding until beyond 300k miles(mine has 340k now), strong, fairly cheap to rebuild(around $1k if you don't need any shafts or gears), better control over shift points, better mileage and OD ratio(IMO), cheaper than a fully built E4OD if power comes into play down the road

E4OD-- comfortable and can be built to be quite a bit stronger than a stock ZF5. Also little drop in boost between shifts when pulling unlike the ZF5, less RPM for a given MPH in OD vs ZF5.

Cons.....

ZF5-- drop boost between every shift leaving you spooling every time you change gears. Kinda a PITA when pulling a load with a tuned truck b/c of smoke output. Input shaft is kinda small, DMF sucks, no options for upgrading hydraulics w/ aftermarket clutches, clutch pedal bushing sucks, pivot arm for throwout bearing wears out over time, can be a PITA in traffic(especially w/ grabby clutches).

E4OD-- IMO not reliable in stock form, much more expensive to rebuild even to stock specs, less power put to the ground, more electronics to go bad, less mileage due to parasitic drag.

If there are more pros/cons to either transmission option, add it to the list.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:29 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dam, just pulled a William style double post......

Old 04-27-2011, 06:32 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
Dam, just pulled a William style double post......
Very 'smooth' Travis. haha.

I gave ya a clickie for your good info too. I was finally outa rep jail for you.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:48 PM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From my point of view a clutch was out of the question. I had a four speed in the 86 6.9. It was OK but the whole hydraulic thing and grabby or slipping (new vs old) clutch soured me on them. Plus I didn't want to push a clutch pedal anymore regardless.

Granted the E40D in stock form isn't anywhere near a reliable transmission. But the fact is that at some point either is going to have to be gone through. The DMF to SMF change can be troublesome. Clutch chatter and tranny noise after the conversion was something I didn't want to deal with.

Of course I screwed up and had a local guy go through my E40d when I confirmed it was broke. Didn't know then what I know now. Shift points can be made to your liking by your tuner. You could go with The Cure. Add a larger cooler and your good to go. At least until you start making more power than it can deal with. In any case (my opinion) either choice is going to cost money to get it the way you want it.

Seems to me the E40D gives you more flexibility in the long run.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:49 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Talyn
Nope, not butt hurt at all.
You just got such a **** poor attitude towards anyone that you do not agree with.
No, just people who have no idea what they are talking about and spew babble all the time.
I politely asked that you keep the discussion on topic, and now you have to whine and complain and play the "poor me" card. Whatever dude... I'm done trying to have any kind of a civilized conversation with you about anything because all you do is take offense to everything and start whining every time.

Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
OK so pros....

ZF5-- usually don't need rebuilding until beyond 300k miles(mine has 340k now), strong, fairly cheap to rebuild(around $1k if you don't need any shafts or gears), better control over shift points, better mileage and OD ratio(IMO), cheaper than a fully built E4OD if power comes into play down the road

E4OD-- comfortable and can be built to be quite a bit stronger than a stock ZF5. Also little drop in boost between shifts when pulling unlike the ZF5, less RPM for a given MPH in OD vs ZF5.

Cons.....

ZF5-- drop boost between every shift leaving you spooling every time you change gears. Kinda a PITA when pulling a load with a tuned truck b/c of smoke output. Input shaft is kinda small, DMF sucks, no options for upgrading hydraulics w/ aftermarket clutches, clutch pedal bushing sucks, pivot arm for throwout bearing wears out over time, can be a PITA in traffic(especially w/ grabby clutches).

E4OD-- IMO not reliable in stock form, much more expensive to rebuild even to stock specs, less power put to the ground, more electronics to go bad, less mileage due to parasitic drag.

If there are more pros/cons to either transmission option, add it to the list.
Thanks Travis, that's a pretty good shake down of the two options. The boost loss between shifts is kind of a concern, but no more than I tow a load that amounts to anything I'm not too concerned about it if I end up with a 5 speed truck. Since most of my driving is empty I'm mostly worried about mpg. As long as a 5 speed truck can get close to what my 96 or 99 did I'm fine with that. The only real draw-back to having a stick I can think of is if I have family come up and the cab is full, the person in the middle of the front seat will be a little crowded for space but that doesn't happen all that often and since I don't have a significant other at this point in life there won't often be the need to seat 6 in the cab anymore.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:51 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by pjwoolw
From my point of view a clutch was out of the question. I had a four speed in the 86 6.9. It was OK but the whole hydraulic thing and grabby or slipping (new vs old) clutch soured me on them. Plus I didn't want to push a clutch pedal anymore regardless.

Granted the E40D in stock form isn't anywhere near a reliable transmission. But the fact is that at some point either is going to have to be gone through. The DMF to SMF change can be troublesome. Clutch chatter and tranny noise after the conversion was something I didn't want to deal with.

Of course I screwed up and had a local guy go through my E40d when I confirmed it was broke. Didn't know then what I know now. Shift points can be made to your liking by your tuner. You could go with The Cure. Add a larger cooler and your good to go. At least until you start making more power than it can deal with. In any case (my opinion) either choice is going to cost money to get it the way you want it.

Seems to me the E40D gives you more flexibility in the long run.
Very good points as well Pete!

Old 04-27-2011, 07:59 PM
redman84
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Other things: parking brake has got to be STRONG with a zf if you want to do anything on a hill with truck ruining especially loaded. More in-cab noise with a zf. The stupid plastic bushing in the master cylinder rod. Worn out pedal box and pedal box bushings. Master and slave cylinders to maintain/replace.

Zf takes less fluid, no filter, and less susceptible to heat. It is more economical to use high quality fluid and if not it can take it anyway.

All that being said and having had both in the same truck, I would take my zf any day over the e4od. I knew the negatives to the zf when I swapped and did it anyway because I AM A MANUAL GUY. There are times when it's tiring or inconvenient but ultimately I love it. Sorry about choppy post. I hater typing on my phone.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:25 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I'll agree finding the right truck is more important. But then again, I've seen running 7.3 engines sell for less than a BTS.

For me, I'd go with the hand shaker. I like rowing through the gears and like being able to pick and choose what gear I'm in. I like being able to mash on the skinny pedal and not have the truck downshift and the rpm's scream. I like slowing down when I take my foot off the accelerator and I like being able to down shift. I like to roll back just a little when that Prius pulls up too close behind me just to give them grief.

I've only bought one auto truck in my life and hated it. I've driven plenty of auto's and it doesn't bother me, but I want MY truck to be a stick. I've never been as disappointed with Ford as when they dropped the stick shift from their diesel truck line.

Since you obviously don't feel this way, just find the truck you like the most and go with it. Also, don't be so sure the third pedal won't aggravate your back while you're on the mend. Not shifting as much as just holding it in at a light if you're feeling sore.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:06 PM
plgebbia
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are wanting a super reliable (in stock form) trans, then get the ZF. IMO the 5 speed is sooo nice when you are pulling because you can chose your gear so easily. But if you like just letting the trans do it's own thing, and the slightly lower rpms, get the auto. You can always get a BTS...

I am a 5 speed guy, but the built auto thing is growing on me....

Anyway, you should average at least 1 mpg better with the manual.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:14 PM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
IMO, You CAN'T beat a built Auto....

I will add this... Stock for stock.. Take the manual... But there is no better option than a built auto. Period.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:18 PM
plgebbia
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by JamesHajek
IMO, You CAN'T beat a built Auto....
Agreed! Especially the time required to shift... I can shift fast, but not fast enough to hang with an auto.... (Meaning I have to have more Power than the auto truck to keep up )

Old 04-27-2011, 10:26 PM
bulla
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Probly pointless
In your decision but I'd take a manual any day over an auto and have even considered swapping my auto for a palm shaker. Yep I drive an auto. Like said by others, it was the truck as a whole that drew me to it and it was a good price. At least that's what I thought at the time! Good luck!!

Old 04-28-2011, 12:53 AM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The auto is also very nice for when you're pulling a 40ft trailer and get stuck in rush hour traffic in the middle of Dallas. Ask me how I know

Old 04-28-2011, 01:10 AM
Muktown
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love driving stick shift cars but I had a 95 with zf5 and didn't care for it too much. That being said stock for stock id probably go with the handshaker but plowing and towing in traffic gets old with a manual. Im an auto fan now just because I got lucky and bought my truck with a bts already installed but just the trans alone costed as much as my complete 96 f350 with plow did.

Quick Reply: The great debate: Auto vs. stick