Sponsored by: Moser

Sometimes HOAs Suck

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 02:38 PM
jjski78
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by raytasch
HIO Silver got it right. Now I see where the OP has it straightened out in his plan.
HOAs are not user friendly for those of us who like to "do stuff". They are a necessary evil in many respects but I certainly would not want a disassembled vehicle in my view long term if I lived in a nice subdivision. Such does devalue property. Quite a few immature comments on the thread.
What's so immature about people not wanting some snobby pr1ck telling them what he/she can do on THEIR PROPERTY? I don't know about other areas, but my town has laws that keep the vast majority of your "problems" in check. Don't want to mow your lawn? That's cool. The city will send someone out to do it for you and fine you $250 for the hassle. Have a broke down car? Keep it in your driveway or garage and you're G2G. Park it in the street, and it's towed. Park it in the grass, and it's towed. It's called property rights. Some laws are good, like, for instance, you can't run a meth lab on your property. But HOAs, especially recently, take their "rules" WAY too far. If you want to work on YOUR truck in YOUR driveway, do it. If they don't like it, hand them the mortgage bill and demand them to pay it. If they refuse, then tell them to get bent. Period, end of discussion. Unless they pay the mortgage, they get no say.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:49 PM
79F150400M
Laughing Gas
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
I hate HOA's. They think they are God. Had some experiences with the HOA in a condo we had here in town. Old lady that was the Pres. thought she owned the property. When she found out I had 4 vehicles I thought she was going to tow 2 of them. She had no clue about anything....she had no kids..(We have 4) never been married, never had any issues in life (I.E married, divorced etc) she was sooo out of touch with reality it just drove me nuts. Then when the time came to sell the condo....what a mess. I will never get involved with HOA's again. I suppose if one wants to live in a Eutopian environment then sure....but other than that??? HOA's are the biggest waste of time. Buyer beware when looking for property!!!

Old 04-26-2011, 05:34 PM
Mustangtoby2001
Senior User
Makes me love my house in the boonies, with my junkyard and everything. I can (and do) take a leak off my front or back porch at any given time. I feel for you guys who have to deal with that.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:36 PM
jjski78
Tuned
Originally Posted by 79F150400M
I hate HOA's. They think they are God. Had some experiences with the HOA in a condo we had here in town. Old lady that was the Pres. thought she owned the property. When she found out I had 4 vehicles I thought she was going to tow 2 of them. She had no clue about anything....she had no kids..(We have 4) never been married, never had any issues in life (I.E married, divorced etc) she was sooo out of touch with reality it just drove me nuts. Then when the time came to sell the condo....what a mess. I will never get involved with HOA's again. I suppose if one wants to live in a Eutopian environment then sure....but other than that??? HOA's are the biggest waste of time. Buyer beware when looking for property!!!
They let the crazy cat lady be HOA president? There's mistake number two. Number one was forming an HOA in the first place.

HOAs are not very popular here. A lot of the snooty neighborhoods started out with one or two reasonably priced homes. Next thing you know they build a golf course nearby, and mcmansions started popping up left and right. The snobs with more money than brains decided it was a good idea to form HOAs in these neighborhoods. Much to their dismay, they can't legally force current residents to buy into the HOA, nor can they force their silly rules on them. MAJOR BACKFIRE! Now they whine amongst themselves how the "commoners" are lowering their property values simply by not joining the HOA. The "commoners" maintain their property, but the elitist snobs think their property values are dropping because some refuse to submit. Nevermind the tanking economy, or the fact that, even though we have about a 1.5 year inventory of homes for sale, builders are still throwing up houses like crazy.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:55 AM
78 PEB
Cargo Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustangtoby2001
Makes me love my house in the boonies, with my junkyard and everything. I can (and do) take a leak off my front or back porch at any given time. I feel for you guys who have to deal with that.
Yeah buddy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-27-2011, 09:29 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by 79F150400M
... Buyer beware when looking for property!!!
That's EXACTLY right.

More often than not, homebuyers are overly enthused about finding their "dream" property and don't ask the right questions or simply gloss over the Conditions, Covenants, & Restrictions (CC&Rs) that is required to be acknowledged by signature in the paperwork to purchase the property.

Allz I gotta say is read the fine print. If ya can't abide by the CC&Rs then it's probably not a good idea to buy the property and with it, the private contract which is what an HOA is.

How do I know about these things? I'm a land use planner. I get calls all the time about people complaining about their HOA. Ha! I ask them if they read their CC&Rs... usually the answer is no. Dumbazzes.... In any case, we never meddle with what is tantamount to a social contract among private property owners.