Sponsored by: DP Tuner

rear end problems...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 09:02 PM
88f1504x4
Powerstroke Doctor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear end problems...

I just can't catch a break this year so far. Getting ready to leave work yesterday I noticed my rear pinion seal was dripping so I picked up a new seal on my way home. When I drained it only half a quart came out. I change my fluid every year using mobil one. When I start to take off my driveshaft I notice my pinion will rotate about an inch each direction and while rotating it comes out maybe 1/4". I did my work and refilled it. Now driving it it is fine under load but as soon as I let off I hear some grinding and it feels like I am putting the brakes on so I turned around and parked it. I had a pinion bearing put in last year. I'm wondering if this is a bearing issue but I have an idea its ring and pinion. Luckily I have 4.10 ring and pinions sitting in my garage for the past few years out of a 10.25 and D60 Which I will probably be using. Just wish I had the extra money for a locker but it never seems to work that way.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:14 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had my share of setbacks this year so I feel your pain. A half quart left in the diff. doesn't sound right. It had to be more than a drip that you noticed unless, not the proper ammount was put in when you had the bearing job, but then again, you would have heard the rear clatering and scuffing the tires in turns from low fluid.. Here's an early bump, good luck.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:57 PM
CPUNeck
Elder User
Originally Posted by 88f1504x4
I just can't catch a break this year so far. Getting ready to leave work yesterday I noticed my rear pinion seal was dripping so I picked up a new seal on my way home. When I drained it only half a quart came out. I change my fluid every year using mobil one. When I start to take off my driveshaft I notice my pinion will rotate about an inch each direction and while rotating it comes out maybe 1/4". I did my work and refilled it. Now driving it it is fine under load but as soon as I let off I hear some grinding and it feels like I am putting the brakes on so I turned around and parked it. I had a pinion bearing put in last year. I'm wondering if this is a bearing issue but I have an idea its ring and pinion. Luckily I have 4.10 ring and pinions sitting in my garage for the past few years out of a 10.25 and D60 Which I will probably be using. Just wish I had the extra money for a locker but it never seems to work that way.
I recently rebuilt my entire rear end. Started the same way, pinion leak... I haven't had time to post that project up, but I'll get the photo link and posted in a minute.

I found my pinion bearing actually elongated, allowing the to move in and out! I thought my pinion was toast, but the bearing race had stretched. (I removed the "pressed on bearing" with my HAND!) In doing the rear end, I changed my Detroit Locker with a TruTrac (to "truck like" for Mama ) so you'll never guess what's just sitting in my garage. Shoot me a PM if your interested, I'll give you the skinny on it.

If you're sure you only had 1/2quart drain out, I'd check your outer bearings and seals too, may be leaking, or worse... damaged from lack of lubricant.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:23 PM
CPUNeck
Elder User
Heres something to look at...

<table style="width: auto;"><tbody><tr><td></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family: arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; text-align: right;">From 10.5 Sterling Rearend</td></tr></tbody></table>Probably why your leaking...

<table style="width: auto;"><tbody><tr><td></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family: arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; text-align: right;">From 10.5 Sterling Rearend</td></tr></tbody></table>How I fixed the problem.. so far, dry as a bone . Redi sleeve.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:07 AM
88f1504x4
Powerstroke Doctor

Yea I think most of the fluid got spun out on my way home. My fuel tank exhaust and sway bar were all covered in gear oil. I am going to pull my cover again tomorrow I think and do some more investigation. I am 50/50 between rebuilding or getting a complete rear end....
I'm pretty confident I could do it but not sure I have the correct tools.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:15 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Got a specific part number for that Redi-Sleeve?

That's gotta' become part of a data bank somewhere.

Pop

Old 04-24-2011, 12:32 AM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You might check your breather hose.. mine was completely plugged with an insect nest and caused the pressure to build up in the rearend.. After clearing the hose, the seal leak stopped..

Old 04-24-2011, 01:32 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Clint,

The exact thing happened to me, too!

Easiest fluid leak I've ever solved.

Compressed air. Now, THAT's a tool!

Pop

Old 04-24-2011, 06:19 AM
CPUNeck
Elder User
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
Got a specific part number for that Redi-Sleeve?

That's gotta' become part of a data bank somewhere.

Pop
Yep, forgot to post it, TIMKEN Part # KWK99181 is the one I used, got it here;

RockAuto Parts Catalog

Uber easy, comes with an install tool. The sleeve was SS and of a high quality. Also, the shoulder you see in the picture that is flush with the champion flange is removable! It is required for installation (the tool uses it), but if you cut it with nippers prior to install, it's designed to "peel" off after you install it leaving a smooth transition to the shaft. I left it cause in this application it wouldn't matter.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:20 AM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just did my rearend it had the same grinding noise but no leak.
Could wiggle the pinion around by hand.

I drove mine 6 months or more that way and got lucky.
In the next bay at the shop there was a 2001 getting a rearend but they drove it to long and it had worn the housing out.
So they were putting in a whole rear end assembly not just the guts.
Was costing him twice what it cost me.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:17 PM
88f1504x4
Powerstroke Doctor

I happened to notice Advance auto also carries that Redi Sleeve as well. My breather hose was split and just hanging in the breeze full of dirt. So I cut the end off blew it all out and replaced with a hose clamp so that should help. I figured at this point I am either going to replace the whole assembly or rebuild. So that being said I went under there today with the impact gun and tightened it until there was no more play in and out during rotation. After the test drive all seems to be well, no noise like before and don't feel the drag as I did when letting off before. So Iam going to go with it for now and see what happens. I'm leaning towards doing the rebuild just not 100% positive yet.