Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 06:31 AM
Joe28443
Joe28443
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Definately will get air bags this summer, I have RAS so I need some that will work with those

Old 04-16-2016, 09:58 AM
copsey
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

You can see the other EX behind my filthy vehicle. Weather was beautiful last night and is even better today.

Old 04-16-2016, 11:44 AM
NewXer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phager
We lucked out when we bought the trailer last year. The PO included a BAL leveler as well as the super high wind version of Pop Up Gizmos, and reflectix for all the windows with the exception of the two side windows in the slide out dinette. Those were definitely a godsend on this trip.
I was too cheap to do the Pop-up Gizmos when we had the popup, so we just did the homemade stuff.. The super, ultra, high wind covers didn't exist at the time we had our popup, so we just clipped mylar space blankets into the bunk ends. Wood blocks that I routed in slits for the wheel chocks. In retrospect, we were too cheap.

I helped a late arrival set up his popup one night & the BAL levelers are amazing.

Originally Posted by phager
...we've been really lucky, since the Coleman's of this era used Sunbrella fabric...
Thats pretty awesome. Almost nothing worse than a drop of water in the face waking you up... 'cept perhaps the buzz of a skiter

Old 04-16-2016, 02:12 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 224 Likes on 149 Posts
The wife and I cleaned up the Puma today, and I took off the accessories that I installed, the slide is closed and it is ready to be traded in, our new unit is in production and is supposed to be delivered to us on the 30th.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:38 PM
phager
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NewXer
I was too cheap to do the Pop-up Gizmos when we had the popup, so we just did the homemade stuff.. The super, ultra, high wind covers didn't exist at the time we had our popup, so we just clipped mylar space blankets into the bunk ends. Wood blocks that I routed in slits for the wheel chocks. In retrospect, we were too cheap.

I helped a late arrival set up his popup one night & the BAL levelers are amazing.
Yeah, the BAL and PUGs are something I'm not sure if I would have made the outlay if they didn't come with the camper. Having used them, though, they really are pretty great products.

I only have one real complaint with the BAL, and that is that it constantly needs to be lubed or the screw drive will strip out. Of course that leaves it a greasy mess in my storage compartment. Right now I use a pool noodle over it, but a lot of people use a pizza bag to store it, which I might do in the future.

When I get the Hybrid, down the road, I'll probably switch out to an Andersen leveler.

Originally Posted by NewXer
Thats pretty awesome. Almost nothing worse than a drop of water in the face waking you up... 'cept perhaps the buzz of a skiter
Yeah, our old 85 Coleman Sequoia was that way. Man, I hated having drips on the nose in the middle of the night. Sunbrella is a miracle fabric in my book. The only time I saw any condensation was at a rally last year where it rained constantly for two out of the three days and the temps were in the 40s so we had the heat running. By the last day, there was a couple of drops at the end of the bunk end on the Shepard's hook.

So excited, next camping trip is next weekend!

Old 04-17-2016, 02:52 AM
Oilfield Trash
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Built the Wife a new lamp post for the Camper and Installed some Under Camper lighting
Camped in the backyard and at a lil Place in Lumberton MS. I cant wait to get the Pro pride finished and set up many plans for this year Keywest and Disney in the fall.

Whats totally strange about camping is that no matter where you are it feels good and the kids are always happier.

Old 04-17-2016, 06:24 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Oilfield Trash
Built the Wife a new lamp post for the Camper and Installed some Under Camper lighting
Camped in the backyard and at a lil Place in Lumberton MS. I cant wait to get the Pro pride finished and set up many plans for this year Keywest and Disney in the fall.

Whats totally strange about camping is that no matter where you are it feels good and the kids are always happier.

We didn't schedule an April camping trip because of the kids school but after seeing your pics and feeling the crisp air this morning I am ready to go!

We are 1 month away from a Disney trip and we are either doing Maine or the Keys next year, getting a site at one of the Keys State Parks looks tough.

The new camper can handle cooler weather better, we are looking at a Thanksgiving trip I would also like to be away at Christmas too but that is still up in the air.

We like to stay at the State Parks, we have not tried the National Parks yet or private campgrounds. We have to be careful where we stay because we have 2 medium sized 4 legged camping buddies.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:07 AM
Oilfield Trash
Senior User
We are lucky we homeschool the kids so the only thing holding us back is my work schedule and a gooberfied ProPride
We were running into the problem with campgrounds having weight restrictions on the 4 legged kids. So that made it a challenge for a while. If you go to the Keys look into Bluewater RV resort. Its located on Saddlebunch Keys a bit pricey but Man o man the views and the sites are totally awesome. We will be there in September then catch Disney world on the way home for 5 days

Old 04-17-2016, 07:44 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
We are lucky we homeschool the kids so the only thing holding us back is my work schedule and a gooberfied ProPride
We were running into the problem with campgrounds having weight restrictions on the 4 legged kids. So that made it a challenge for a while. If you go to the Keys look into Bluewater RV resort. Its located on Saddlebunch Keys a bit pricey but Man o man the views and the sites are totally awesome. We will be there in September then catch Disney world on the way home for 5 days

WOW, that place looks awesome! We will figure out a date and contact Bluewater RV for a spot. The price is not that bad when you compare it to a Disney Trip for 5 days, easy to drop $3 grand for tickets, Fort Wilderness and extras when you have a family of 4.

Old 04-17-2016, 09:01 AM
Oilfield Trash
Senior User
Oh tell me all about it Family of 5 here 6 days at the Fort Wilderness 4 days theme park was close to the 3 grand mark. We will also have a day in Universal Studios just to see Harry Potter land

I just noticed my pictures are sideways... What the heck they are right side up on the computer???

Old 04-17-2016, 10:38 AM
Country_Mouse
Elder User
Beautiful view! We homeschool too! We haven't brought school work with us yet but do take advantage of having a bit more flexible schedule. Hubby still works (for only a few more years) so we still have to work around that.

Not sure how old your kids are but once they hit highschool even if you still homeschool them (we do) it's more challenging. Ours are enrolled in some online classes that they attend and we haven't set up Internet yet outside of cell phones. Plus extracurricular activities it all puts a cramp in trying to go during the week. They can miss classes occasionally but the workload is so much then they get behind. Not to mention teenage attitudes that pop up and don't want to camp as much anymore...

Old 04-17-2016, 11:24 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Country_Mouse
Beautiful view! We homeschool too! We haven't brought school work with us yet but do take advantage of having a bit more flexible schedule. Hubby still works (for only a few more years) so we still have to work around that.

Not sure how old your kids are but once they hit highschool even if you still homeschool them (we do) it's more challenging. Ours are enrolled in some online classes that they attend and we haven't set up Internet yet outside of cell phones. Plus extracurricular activities it all puts a cramp in trying to go during the week. They can miss classes occasionally but the workload is so much then they get behind. Not to mention teenage attitudes that pop up and don't want to camp as much anymore...

My son is a HS junior at a charter school and is taking college classes, he occasionally uses my wife's work hot spot to do papers at the dining room table or picnic table at the campground. My daughter is in 6th grade at the same charter school, the work load is a lot less.

Yes, 17 year olds don't want to do much stuff with the family anymore, all part of growing up. At least my kids can say mom and dad did/do stuff with them when they were growing up. We may not have had a TT for very long but my son and I have camped with the Boy Scouts for many years. My daughter is a Girl Scout and wants to be part of a Scout Venture Crew, I will be able to spend more time with her and my son as he is also part of the Crew and can be until he is 21.

Old 04-17-2016, 11:37 AM
Country_Mouse
Elder User
My son is a junior too. He'll be taking college courses next year. I currently have him, 8th grade, 3rd and K.

Both my boys are scouts and oldest getting his Eagle this year...fingers crossed...so they have done a ton of camping. We try to work as many camping trips around scout trips. We go a few days early so they have something to look forward to. We have Venture Crew in our troop too.

My daughter's have a way to go but they are in American Heritage Girls. Newer organization like girl scouts but faith based. Not as much camping through them but my girl's come with to all the boy scout family campouts.

I figured Hotspot was how to do it but upping my data $$ scares me. Hard to find good coverage too lots of places we go. Want v to look into satellite Internet, that exists, right?

Old 04-17-2016, 12:50 PM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
We have been seriously thinking about home schooling.

I carry Hotspot with me wherever we go with 18gb plan. Occasionally I will have to keep a close eye on the data near the end of the month, but that is usually only when I let the 12yr old connect his Kindle to it. Netflix will eat up data fast. If I keep the kid from binge watching on netflix, I rarely have an issue with hitting my limit.

Old 04-17-2016, 01:01 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Country_Mouse
Want v to look into satellite Internet, that exists, right?
Satellite interwebz is (6 years ago) nothing more than an upgrade to dial-up, you will be sorely disappointed.

Quick Reply: The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!